Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH jacks

I am very new to RV'ing. We just purchased a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36DL. Never had a slide before, nor did we have jacks.
Question: Does the engine need to be running for the jacks to work?
I know it's a dumb question, but I really need an answer.We're about to take 'er out for our first outing.
Thanks,

Steve
kb9adw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post
I am very new to RV'ing. We just purchased a 2001 Winnebago Journey 36DL. Never had a slide before, nor did we have jacks.
I know it's a dumb question, but I really need an answer.We're about to take 'er out for our first outing.
Thanks,

Steve
Steve,

You should not need to have the engine running. In fact it may cause a problem with the air bags if you have them. You should only need the ignition in the accessory position. If you have air bags I believe you have to dump the air before you extend the jacks.

Roy
Too Slow 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

kb9adw, As long as your batteries are in good shape you do not need to run the engine. The air bags will dump as soon as you turn on the leveling system. Parking brake must me on and the ignition in the accessory position . The jack do use a lot of power but are not as voltage sensitive as the newer systems.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I can't speak for a '01 Journey but I have the engine running whenever I am extending or retracting my slides or jacks. They operate off the chassis (engine starting) batteries and the pump motor does suck up a bit of amperage. FWIW, my Winnebago manuals contradict themselves. In one part they specify engine off and key in the accessory position and in another section they specify engine running. Engine running works for me and has for the past seven years.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I try to never have the engine running when I operate the jacks. the reason is, the jacks dump the air that the engine is trying to keep up with. If you shut off the engine and just turn on the key to Accessory, Your compressor will stop running and your jacks will be able to extend based upon what the engine batteries will provide.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I try to never have the engine running when I operate the jacks. the reason is, the jacks dump the air that the engine is trying to keep up with. If you shut off the engine and just turn on the key to Accessory, Your compressor will stop running and your jacks will be able to extend based upon what the engine batteries will provide.

What?
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9adw View Post
Thanks,

Steve
Steve,
The first thing you really need to know is, what model number of HWH Jacks do you have? HWH, has several models and there are different modes of operation for each of their models.

For instance, I have the "625 Automatic, Computer Controlled system". Now, that model, can be operated in a fully automatic mode and, a manual mode. I choose the mode based on circumstances presented me during initial sizing up of how level the site is, we're standing on.

If the site is fairly level, as in most "RV Resorts", the automatic mode works flawless. If, we're on some bad terrain and fairly "Un level", I go into the manual mode because, I know it's (the control panel for HWH) is going to tell me, "Excessive Slope".

Now, to answer your question. Depending on what model HWH system you have, your air bags will NOT ALWAYS dump, the minute you turn on the HWH system. On ours, I have two methods of dumping the air, prior to leveling operations. In the fully automatic mode, I touch the "On" button twice, once for turning the system on and, a second time to activate "Pilot dump" which means, HWH is now in control of the air bag system being dumped.

If I choose the manual mode, I also have a "Dump" button. In un level situations, I use that button, that one is controlled by Freightliner, not HWH.

But, in either case, as has been stated, you MUST dump the bags prior to leveling. Now, as to whether the engine is running or not, again, it depends on your particular system. The first thing to do is, if you have a manual for it, READ IT! If you don't, go on line and search out the manual for your model number of HWH system you have.

But, the primary reason most HWH systems do NOT WANT THE ENGINE RUNNING IS, because the "Ride height sensors" get confused. You see, if your engine is running, it means you've got all sensory systems in operation. That means, the ride height sensors too. And, their job is to keep you at the prescribed ride height.

If your engine is running and you attempt to level, either side to side or, front to back, your ride height sensors try and compensate. NOT A GOOD THING!

So, primarily, yes, turn your engine off. Then, in the "accessory" position for the key, you can begin your leveling operations which, would include lowering the bags.

But, again, find the manual for your particular system. It will answer many questions.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have the HWH Auto Leveling and it works like a charm.
MY manual states...Keep engine running when leveling.
Slides come out after it's leveled.
Personally I dont think it matters if it's running or not if you have
good batt's.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We had a problem with our 2005 Adventurer, and hwh telephone support strongly recommended engine running. On our coach, this speeds the process so solenoids don't burn out.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, hwh