Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
Today I received the needed failed solenoid from BugSlayer. Thanks.

I passed the unused remanufactured solenoid valve and "failed" valve to
the industrial manufacturing supply rep.

More to follow...
Today, I met with the industrial manufacturing supply rep in hopes his company could source and improved quality and more reliable jack solenoid valve for the HWH system. After consult with his company design engineer, They do not have a match for a crossover solenoid valve to fit the HWH system. Apparently the valve seating core tubes are a depth-dimensions unique to the HWH manifold. So, it looks like we the customers will just have to continue to buy this part to keep HWH part sales up..
Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Part Number 500097/ DUMP VALVE SOLENOID (Power Gear)

or: Part Number 500440/ DUMP VALVE SOLENOID (Power Gear)

or: Part Number 500439 /LEG VALVE AND SOLENOID (Power Gear)

http://www.powergearus.com/DATA/service_manual.pdf

I wonder if .......??????

I know the industrial supplier/vendor of these solenoids to PowerGear...hmmmmm..and it ain't HWH.
The potential Power Gear Solenoids will not cross over to HWH jack solenoids.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The following HWH Information Bulletin, Jan 10, 2006 supports my recommendation previously provided here. As I review the many HWH system diagrams, one ground point is very critical to correct operations of most of the critical electrical componets controlling the system. That ground point is labeled-identified as: "The HWH Ground Stud" on the pump motor.

"Due to extreme weather conditions, exposed electrical connections can become corroded and deteriorated to the point of causing system failure in as little as one month of operation. On all vehicles, especially where exposure to road salts and deicing chemicals is common, all electrical connections should be protected from these conditions. Crimped and soldered connections should be protected with shrink tube. Ring terminal connections such as pump relay connections and frame ground connections should be thoroughly coated to provide protection."
http://www.hwhcorp.com/mi9554.pdf
Today I posted 4 photos in the Members area (Pubtym)

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showga...00&ppuser=9100

Two of the photos with the red spray coatings show the HWH Ground Stud following my first cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner spray then, protective coating it with battery terminal protection spray. The electrical component to the right of the ground stud is the pump relay mentioned by HWH in their Information Bulletine. Here, I have again cleaned and used protective spray on the relay terminals and connectors.

One added photo is of an OE jack solenoid. Service life on this valve is going a little over three years. Note the case corroision and corrosion around the wire terminal entry points into the casing. I plan to clean up the corrosion and coat the areas with Liquid Tape.

Note: When I checked the HWH Ground Stud top nut...I found it very lightly secured (tightened). I estimate about 10 pounds torque at most. After cleaning, I torqued the layered nuts on the post to about 20-25 pounds torque.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM   #44
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Another issue here..in the HWH systems...

a. When I unwrapped the recently ordered "remanufactured" jack solenoid valve...I was appalled by the amount of paint flecks of peeling "fresh" black paint on the solenoid ..when I removed the attached "protective" plastic cap that's supposed to "protect" the valve piston assembly...I found more fleck debris on that supposedly "clean" area. Most mechanical hyd techs would refer to this as serious potential "Micro- FOD (Foreign Object Damage). My bet is the line dealer tech might not clean this stuff off the valve parts prior to reinstall of replacement valve..hmmmmm..

b. With my little knowledge of HWH jack-slide systems...I can not find parts reference to an in line hyd filter....even though the system has a pressure pump and many other moving parts able to produce normal and common wear-tear micro-FOD...hmmmmm. Are the solenoid valve failures associated with micro-FOD?

c. With added internet search...I find there are many companies that produce small cost effective mini in line high pressure hyd filters..One of these mini line filters should be able to be installed in the HWH hyd system...preferably on a line down fluid from the pump.....

More info here...and more to follow:
http://www.normanfilters.com/4200series.html
After reviewing HWH hyd system drawings with a professional hyd repair shop, only one location could be considered to install a mini line hyd filter. One of the photos I placed in the Member's Area (Pubtym) shows a U shaped metal hyd line that feeds the manifold from the pump motor. Our discussion concluded it to be very difficult to fit a mini inline filter into this line.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showga...00&ppuser=9100

As an alternative to the line filter, the shop manager suggested dropping a magnet into the reservoir tank. This magnet will attract and retain small metal particles (micro FOD) so they will not foul any of the valve, switch, or jack tube parts.

Today I ordered magnets.
http://www.magnet4less.com/product_i...roducts_id=326

This magnet should fit down through the tank's 5/8th inch fill hole. I plan to wrap several loops of #19 gage stainless steel wire around the magnet then fasten a 2 inch length of wire through the small holes in the dip tube portion of the breather plug (Tank Cap). I believe this will place the magnet suspended in the fluid so as to seize micro metallic FOD as it circulates through the tank. Finally, with the magnet attached to the wire from the Breather Cap, I can check the magnet...clean it as necessary, each time I check the tank fluid level.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Interesting. My understanding was HWH recommended using ATF and a tube cleaner/lube????
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
Interesting. My understanding was HWH recommended using ATF and a tube cleaner/lube????
Thanks for your query here.

I have given the wrong reference here about lubing jack shafts as per HWH....and I deleted it from the thread.

I went back and referenced hard copy HWH Seminar notes taken by John Canfield..IRV2 member.... at GNR 2008..

The HWH presentation was given by HWH's Paul Smith. I quote Paul: "Do NOT lubricate jack shafts in spite of what anybody says.." Amen

The 3M Product (3M 08897) was mentioned by HWH to lubricate the slide gaskets.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to provide corrected info as per HWH's Paul Smith..
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

I apologize to Clay McCardell for hijacking his thread...I get carried away sometimes with trying to find better parts to systems we have bought and, continue to unexpectedly replace..in our Winnies.

A summary to date of HWH related items worked on this thread:

a. Remanufactured HWH Jack Solenoid: The HWH Solenoid Valve Part Number is RM90729. No solution for a better part ...yet. I found another major vendor-manufacturer that is interested in the remanufactured solenoid...Incidentally, this company could not believe what Winnie dealers and HWH charges (Robs) for the vintage pre civil war remanufactured valve!

b. Booster Springs. I have tested the Century Spring # 5582. They worked great.. as dual booster rigged..with the OE HWH springs.

c. A hyd filter device for the entire system that catches all metallic micro FOD in fluid circulation. I have a tank magnet rig I will soon test.

d. HWH Information Bulletin, Jan 10, 2006. This bulletin supports recommendations previously provided here. As I reviewed the many HWH system diagrams, one ground point is very critical to correct operations of most of the critical electrical componets controlling the system. That ground point is labeled-identified as: "The HWH Ground Stud" on the pump motor.

"Due to extreme weather conditions, exposed electrical connections can become corroded and deteriorated to the point of causing system failure in as little as one month of operation. On all vehicles, especially where exposure to road salts and deicing chemicals is common, all electrical connections should be protected from these conditions. Crimped and soldered connections should be protected with shrink tube. Ring terminal connections such as pump relay connections and frame ground connections should be thoroughly coated to provide protection."

http://www.hwhcorp.com/mi9554.pdf[/quote]

This post will be my last on Clay McCardell’s thread. I’ll start another thread soon titled “HWH Systems and Parts”. I intend to continue my research and discussion of HWH system part failures or shortfalls and any potential alternate sources for a higher quality replacement part. Slated for Number 1 discussion item on the new thread will be HWH’s Pump Relay. Have you replaced one of these lately? I'll need your inputs. Stay tuned.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

Pubtym - Absolutely no problem or apology needed - I've enjoyed following along in your efforts to find better solutions!

- Clay
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #49
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I apologize to Clay McCardell for hijacking his thread...I get carried away sometimes with trying to find better parts to systems we have bought and, continue to unexpectedly replace..in our Winnies.

A summary to date of HWH related items worked on this thread:

a. Remanufactured HWH Jack Solenoid: The HWH Solenoid Valve Part Number is RM90729. No solution for a better part ...yet. I found another major vendor-manufacturer that is interested in the remanufactured solenoid...Incidentally, this company could not believe what Winnie dealers and HWH charges (Robs) for the vintage pre civil war remanufactured valve!

b. Booster Springs. I have tested the Century Spring # 5582. They worked great.. as dual booster rigged..with the OE HWH springs.

c. A hyd filter device for the entire system that catches all metallic micro FOD in fluid circulation. I have a tank magnet rig I will soon test.

d. HWH Information Bulletin, Jan 10, 2006. This bulletin supports recommendations previously provided here. As I reviewed the many HWH system diagrams, one ground point is very critical to correct operations of most of the critical electrical componets controlling the system. That ground point is labeled-identified as: "The HWH Ground Stud" on the pump motor.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/mi9554.pdf[/quote]

This post will be my last on Clay McCardell’s thread. I’ll start another thread soon titled “HWH Systems and Parts”. I intend to continue my research and discussion of HWH system part failures or shortfalls and any potential alternate sources for a higher quality replacement part. Slated for Number 1 discussion item on the new thread will be HWH’s Pump Relay. Have you replaced one of these lately? I'll need your inputs. Stay tuned.
My apology to IRV2 members following this thread..

After fighting, what appears to me as the speed of a lumbering elephant commercial product advertising format change to this forum,..I have changed to another speedy and simplified RV Forum.. Consequently, the items mentioned I was working on...and have finished..will be posted on that RV Forum. I've enjoyed IRV2 membership interaction...but not the current fight with the lumbering commercial elephant format.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
My apology to IRV2 members following this thread..

After fighting, what appears to me as the speed of a lumbering elephant commercial product advertising format change to this forum,..I have changed to another speedy and simplified RV Forum.. Consequently, the items mentioned I was working on...and have finished..will be posted on that RV Forum. I've enjoyed IRV2 membership interaction...but not the current fight with the lumbering commercial elephant format.
pubtym:
plz email me or pm me with info about the "other rv forum".
the seeming lack of continuity between the old irv2 and the new (improved?) irv2 bugs me.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #51
Winnebago Watcher

HWH story...

Hello,
a short story to add to the thread. A few weeks ago we bought an '07 Itasca Meridian 34SH. We drove it home and innocently exercised the slides and the jacks. Everything seemed to work ok. After we got it home, we extended the jacks/slides and after a week or so, decided to move it closer to the house. The jacks were slow and the slides would not come all the way in so I looked underneath and there was hydraulic fluid everywhere in the vicinity of the pump under the entry stairs. The spot on the ground was about 5-6 ft in diameter.

We finally got the jacks and slides retracted, manually and took the RV to Camping World in ABQ. Now, we live about 150 miles away and after a week they told us that they had installed a seal kit from HWH but that one of the slide solenoids was faulty and had to be replaced or the seals would fail again.

Then the kicker, the solenoids from HWH are back-ordered, for 3 weeks. Like, nevermind, you don't really want to use the RV do you?

Well, I started searching for a solenoid, RAP 90729, PPL, LazyD, Holiday World, Al's RV in Glendale, etc... well, Al's has one in stock, for $185 plus s/h. They agreed to drop ship it to Camping World so maybe, just maybe, we will get this RV operational again, maybe next week??????

After reading this thread, I can only dread the next solenoid valve failure since HWH solenoids are failing often and to top it off, they are not even available from HWH.

I hope this thread reaches HWH, Winnebago Industries, etc and that some reliable solution to the hydraulics problem becomes available.

My best wishes to Clay and the other owners on this thread.

thanks, Gary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMcCardell View Post
Good grief what a &#*@ pain in the @$$ -

A screw extractor finally worked to get the seats out - 3 of 4 solenoids replaced, the remaining one that worked is still in place and the spare is in stock. Added about 2/3 qt of Dextron III to the reservoir, WD-40'd the jacks, and everything's working great now.

- Clay
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #52
Winnebago Master

Two good places to try if HWH is out are 3T's RV and Lichtsinn Motors
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote