Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2005, 04:09 PM   #21
rca
Winnebago Camper

I just finished replacing the left rear jack on my 02 Brave 34D and found it quite easy to install the new springs. I hooked them both up with the foot plate tipped off to the outside but with the outer lip over the jack pin and then used a 24 inch pry bar to lever the foot down and into place.
I did find it much easier to re-install the nuts by duct taping the carriage bolt heads in place.
Did anyone else find that the original front spring is about an inch longer that the rear one? This is the case on both my rear jacks.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #22
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I,too had one jack that took forever to retract. I found that if I spray the ram with silicon lubricant before trying to retract, it woks OK. FWIW

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:11 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Here is another HWH rear leveler story. On my return trip from Wisconsin to Arizona both my rear levelers would not retract completely. They only went up about half way. I ended up using my tool box and a baseball bat to pry them up the last few inches. This occurred at each of my last five stops. I was cursing the rear levelers to say the least. One cannot drive with the "jacks down" beeper on constantly. Then, wouldn't you know the dealer could not duplicate the problem when I brought the coach in for warranty repair!! They lowered and raised the jacks several times and the rear jacks came up normally, within one to two minutes! The outside air temps were about the same as when I had the problem, so it is not an oil viscosity problem. To add insult to injury, Winnebago will not pay for "diagnostic time" if no repairs are made! Wonderful!
Old 09-28-2005, 08:29 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Catpowered:
Maybe you might want to simulate your problem by putting the jacks down for 1,2,or 3 days with the rig raised a little so it's like your last trip from Wisconsin. Try to force the problem so you can give dealer instructions how to make it fail.

I too have the same problem with the right rear slow to retract. Sometimes it goes up part way and stops. Always takes 2-3 minutes at best to go up while the other 3 jacks are up in 60 seconds everytime. Several times over the past year had to get out a 2x4 and block and pry it up. After talking with HWH service, I tested by opening the solenoid valve bleed screw & that had no effect. Then I disconnected hydraulic hose at the jack and it shot right up. So I know the jack is ok and hose is restricting flow. HWH said they don't have a heavier spring for my model rear jack. I have an appointment with Winne dealer in 3 weeks to get repaired covered on HWH warranty for parts & labor in 2nd year.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

THe first thing I would do if I had a HWH jack problem, and I have a couple times, is to call HWH and speak to their tech support. Even with a brand new coach. Their support is excellant. They will diagnose your problem on the phone. Then when you go to your dealer you will be one step ahead of what needs to be done. If you're out of warranty HWH will ship parts overnight. As complex as the jack systems appears it is easy for HWH to diagnose and easy to repair for a layman.

I have a 2005 Suncruiser and I had a spring break. I called HWH and they shipped 2 springs directly to me. I received them in 3 days and installed a spring myself.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote