Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH Jack and Slide Repair expert

There are many people having trouble with the aging HWH hydraulic systems, so I thought I would suggest the best person I know for advice and lastly give you our story.

Paul Maddox lives in Arizona and is a retired HWH Engineer, who knows these systems top to bottom, with his eyes closed. He is so busy that he is not looking fro any more work, but is very happy to give advice to us when we have an HWH Jack or Slide problem. He jokes about some people looking for that "Magic Fuse" that will cure stuck slide. Almost never is that! Anyway, here is his contact info. Please remember that he is in Arizona on mountain time.
You can also "text" the mobile number.

Paul Maddox, Paulden, AZ
mobile - 602-549-3638 (I'd call this first and leave msg., if necessary.
home - 928-277-5567

Ok. my story.
We were in Las Vegas (we live in SC) on a US tour, when our main living room slide would not retract. Panic! Thought it may be the pump, since it sounded differently. Wow, is this going to be expensive! We had internet so I started searching. No one else did those repairs, even Camping World. Not good. Someone mentioned Paul, online, so I gave him a call. He determined over the phone that it was not the pump (some relief), but needed to look at it to go further. I managed to push the slide in manually, secured it, and decided to drive a couple of hours to Paul's shop in AZ.

To shorten the story, he quickly found that it was a tiny little screw had fallen out of the pintle (?) valve. He replaced the valve and $125 later we are on our way with it completely fixed. If I went elsewhere, I know it may have cost 10 or 20 times that amount, since they don't know the systems and would probably replace the whole thing. Also taking many days to get the assembly shipped.

Got a HWH hydraulic problem an need advice? Call Paul. Saved us!
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

ok, here is a correction. i am not retired. i still work full time for hwh corp.
i am not an engineer. i know a lot about hwh, and engineering, but i do not have a degree in engineering. i do have over 40 years experience working on rv's, and have worked on hwh since 1973. i offer my help with diagnostics.
i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this or any other forum.
i do not accept appointments for service work.
thats not my home number. thats unpublished and unlisted, and its going to stay that way.
i have two cell phones, the first is an i phone. please send text and photos to that. the second is an old flip phone. it just wont die. i use it in the field.
paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Oops, sorry Paul.
Got some info wrong, but the result is the same.
"Call Paul".
Old 11-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thank you for your help Paul. You did help me a few months ago also.

In the post above skyking makes reference to a pintle valve. Is that indeed the shuttle valve? If not, what does a pintle valve do?

Thanks

Stan
Old 11-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Reply to Switchflicke about valve

Switchflicke.
This is Richard (skyking) and if Paul, can't get back to you maybe I can respond with what I can remember a few years ago.
I think you may have the correct name, I seemed to remember "pintle" from somewhere.
The valve in question was some sort of check valve that directs the pump pressure to the actuators. Either the slides, jacks or both, I think. He quickly diagnosed it and removed it, again I think, from the fluid tank. I recall this, because he said the tiny screw fell out into the tank, rendering an open valve and not working as a check valve. When I ran the pump for slides or jacks, the pressure would go around and just dump right back into the tank.

Be easy on me, it has been a long time ago and the details are fading. Maybe I'll research it and find the proper name. Too late tonight.
Richard
Old 11-12-2017, 03:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

HWH Shuttle valve

Stan,
Early this morning, I researched the valve you mentioned.
It seems you're right and it is a shuttle valve HWH number RAP7964 on my Adventurer. Maybe yours is the same.
Paul was working in that area behind the solenoid valve block, so that appears to be the shuttle valve. The photo of it has multiple ports and O-rings, so it seems it would do what I described. It is number 6 in the diagram.
https://www.hwhcorp.com/mr553100.pdf
Looks like they are still available in various places online for under $100.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH Shuttle valve.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	169139  
Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Wow Richard, those details may be fading but you sure put a lot of effort into digging back into the problem!!

The reason I was asking is because I bought a shuttle valve when mine was failing. I needed to smack it with a small piece of wood every once in a while. Then when we were on a tight schedule to get to a grandson's baseball game about 600 miles away and about 600 miles from home on a Sunday morning(Canadian National 15year old Championship Tournament) the slide wouldn't go in. I changed the shuttle valve according to the info that I had memorized from iRV2 and from Paul. 30 minuets later we were on the way and I was a hero for the rest of the trip. Yes, I know I should have looked after that before we left, but where's the excitement in that?

I was hoping there wasn't another valve that would need my hero status sometime!!

Travel safely
Stan
Old 12-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
There are many people having trouble with the aging HWH hydraulic systems, so I thought I would suggest the best person I know for advice and lastly give you our story.

Paul Maddox lives in Arizona and is a retired HWH Engineer, who knows these systems top to bottom, with his eyes closed. He is so busy that he is not looking fro any more work, but is very happy to give advice to us when we have an HWH Jack or Slide problem. He jokes about some people looking for that "Magic Fuse" that will cure stuck slide. Almost never is that! Anyway, here is his contact info. Please remember that he is in Arizona on mountain time.
You can also "text" the mobile number.

Paul Maddox, Paulden, AZ
mobile - 602-549-3638 (I'd call this first and leave msg., if necessary.
home - 928-277-5567

Ok. my story.
We were in Las Vegas (we live in SC) on a US tour, when our main living room slide would not retract. Panic! Thought it may be the pump, since it sounded differently. Wow, is this going to be expensive! We had internet so I started searching. No one else did those repairs, even Camping World. Not good. Someone mentioned Paul, online, so I gave him a call. He determined over the phone that it was not the pump (some relief), but needed to look at it to go further. I managed to push the slide in manually, secured it, and decided to drive a couple of hours to Paul's shop in AZ.

To shorten the story, he quickly found that it was a tiny little screw had fallen out of the pintle (?) valve. He replaced the valve and $125 later we are on our way with it completely fixed. If I went elsewhere, I know it may have cost 10 or 20 times that amount, since they don't know the systems and would probably replace the whole thing. Also taking many days to get the assembly shipped.

Got a HWH hydraulic problem an need advice? Call Paul. Saved us!
wow, he's the man for sure, I have lost all power to my slide and jack control panel on my 2007 Vectra while going down the road and have not been able to find that fuse or c/b that needs replacing
mouldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Paul, Where is your shop in AZ? I live in Green Valley, south of Tucson. Had to replace a hose for the kitchen slide on my 2005 Winnebago 38J and now while it goes in and out it is not happy. Lots of end to end movement and rubber squeaks. It does not slide evenly. I can detect as much as two to three inches difference in the movement from end to end as it moves jerkily. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Glyn (digger72x) [email protected]
Digger72x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Slideout adjustment

I have a 1999 Winnebago Adventure with one slideout.when I retract the slideout and it sits overnight the top comes back out about half of a inch is there some type of ajustment or do I have a valve problem.
CharlieO357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, repair, slide