Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I noticed the slide-outs creeping along slower than usual so I checked the fluid level in the reservoir.
It was low (I confess I have never checked it before, on my 2003 Suncuriser) the instructions said to use HWH fluid but if not available to use Dextron fluid. The reason for the HWH fluid was stated that the Dexron fluid has a red dye that could stain if it leaked. This is my question.....The fluid in the reservoir was red anyway so proceeded to add 1.5 qts of Dextron. Have I make a big mistake here, should I drain the fluid and ad the HWW.
Mr Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I noticed the slide-outs creeping along slower than usual so I checked the fluid level in the reservoir.
It was low (I confess I have never checked it before, on my 2003 Suncuriser) the instructions said to use HWH fluid but if not available to use Dextron fluid. The reason for the HWH fluid was stated that the Dexron fluid has a red dye that could stain if it leaked. This is my question.....The fluid in the reservoir was red anyway so proceeded to add 1.5 qts of Dextron. Have I make a big mistake here, should I drain the fluid and ad the HWW.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

No I do not think you have. Also when you checked oil leval. You did have the slides in and the jacks retracted? Other wise you will get a fause reading on the dip stick.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes I did have the jacks up and the slides in. I also wonder is needing to ad 1.5qts is a sign of bigger problem. I have never seen any leaking.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Greg:
Yes I did have the jacks up and the slides in. I also wonder is needing to ad 1.5qts is a sign of bigger problem. I have never seen any leaking. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
=============================

I would say that the fluid level bears watching and when you put the slide out and jacks down also.
If you dont see any leaks on the slide watch for damp places on the jacks, but it maybe just so small a leak it takes years to need fluid.
Then I would leave it alone.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2002 Brave that I purchased Feb 2005 (HWH system was still under warranty) when I found my slide hoses leaking. I contacted HWH and found out there was recall on the HWH hoses. HWH and the dealer worked together to replace the hoses. Have not had a leak since. You may want to see if your HWH system was part of the recall.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

On my 2003 Suncruiser it came with red fluid from the factory. I know this because we had a young grizzly crawl under our coach one night when in the mountains and tore the line up. When I hit the bedroom slide switch it squirted all over the place. It was definitely red.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Does anyone know where the dipstick is for a Suncruiser? I had a small leak which I fixed but I don't know the location of the dipstick?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:09 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Dennis, the fluid level "dipstick" is built into the cap on top of the reservoir. Make sure you're level, slides are all tucked in and jacks are up. Then unscrew the cap and check the dipstick.
Note the very end of the dip[stick has a hex recess; that's the "wrench" for loosening the the nut on solenoid valves in case of emergency.
All this should be in you black Winnie bag...
Old 01-20-2006, 03:23 AM   #10
abn
Winnebago Camper

Where is the reservoir on a '02 Itasca Suncruiser?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

THe dip stick is located behind the HWH electronics box just behind the front drivers wheel. With the front slide out you can stick your head in and see the complete HWH assembly. The dip stick is located on top of the resovour which is directly behind the electronics box. THe electronics box has a clear plastic front. Feel or look down in among the wiring and you'll see the large plastic nut. Unscrew that nut and the dip stick is on the other end of the nut.

Remember you have to have to slides in and jacks retracted to check the fluid level.

With the slide in you should be able to open the first compartment door and stick your head in above the compartment to access the dip stick.

The location I noted above pertains to the '05 Suncruiser 38R.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Also, you lose a little fluid every time you use your jacks because the fuild is what lubricates the hydraulic cylinders. So after a few years, even without a leak, you may have to add.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:36 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Although HWH recommends their own "clear" hydraulic oil I believe Winnebago uses Dexron III in all of their systems. Ours came with the red Dexron from the factory. There is a decal on the reservoir that says "Use only Dexron III in this hydraulic system".
I believe the hydraulic reservoir on all gas models is just behind the grill. It's fairly low since it's mounted to a plate on the frame rail. The dipstick is in the cap. On ours there is a set of wrench lands beneath the breather part of the cap. It takes a fairly large wrench, as I remember about 1".
Old 01-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

It's easy to find the reservoir because it's attached to the pump. Have someone work the jacks while you do a walk around and listen for the loud whine of the pump. On my 2003 Suncruiser 33V it was behind the front grill. Also, when you remove the cap you'll see a hex key built into it. This is for operating the manual release on the solenoid valves.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

My Suncruiser dipstick for the HWH system is on the end of the resevoir cap. Same place you would put fluid in the tank.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Well after following this thread decided to check the level on my Suncruiser today. Found that the cap was tight but not seated against the resevoir..Acts like it has tapered threads and gets tight with about half the treads still out. For the ones that have checked their system, does the cap tighten down all the way? Thinking it should but sure does get tight afraid I am going to break it.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Hamie,
Although I don't have hydraulic slides I do have th same basic HWH setup for my jacks.

1) Always check your fluid levels with the slides in and jacks up so you get all the fluid back in the reservoir.
2) The cap (on mine) goes all the way down... no threads showing.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Dale,

Thanks for the quick reply. Guess I will try a little harder and see what happens...

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

We've got an '05 Sunrise and the resevoir is behind the driver's side front wheel, and is accessable through the front drivers side storage bay. The owner's manual says to use Dextron III and the cap does not screw all the way down on ours! But we are low on fluid and maybe that's part of the reason why!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote