Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
KIX
Winnebago Master

The rear slide on our coach is operated by 4 hydraulic cylinders. The movement of the cylinders is controlled by a synchronizing cylinder. The hose (23' long) that runs from the pump to the synchro cylinder is leaking at the fitting. The hose is not under any warranty per HWH. HWH tells me that changing the hose is no big deal but in reading their online guide it indicates that any air introduced into the synchro cylinder can cause the slide to not operate properly. So I am wondering if anyone has changed the hose that supplies the synchro cylinder.
We are currently in Moab, UT and I'm having trouble finding a dealer to do the replacement.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

The rear slide on our coach is operated by 4 hydraulic cylinders. The movement of the cylinders is controlled by a synchronizing cylinder. The hose (23' long) that runs from the pump to the synchro cylinder is leaking at the fitting. The hose is not under any warranty per HWH. HWH tells me that changing the hose is no big deal but in reading their online guide it indicates that any air introduced into the synchro cylinder can cause the slide to not operate properly. So I am wondering if anyone has changed the hose that supplies the synchro cylinder.
We are currently in Moab, UT and I'm having trouble finding a dealer to do the replacement.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We had the same problem but it was discovered in 2003. HWH had put out a service bulletin about pressed on hose fittings that did not meet specs and were to be replaced no charge to customer when found to leak. They replaced all of our hoses even though only one leaked.

I mention this as I was told that the my coach was assembled in the same factory as the your Advantage. Note yours and mine are the same year. Could the hoses have come from the same batch? Soooo... ask HWH for a resolution. They are a great company and just may step up even though the hoses have served you for 6 years.

We had ours done in Salt Lake City at Motor Sportsland and have not had a problem since.

Good Luck to you.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Steve, Thanks for the reply. So far HWH says the hose is not in the "recall". Although I did have other HWH hoses in the past on this coach that were in the recall and they did replace them at N/C. I will be talking to them again Tuesday AM for a final resolution. Either they pay to have it done or I guess I'll be doing it myself.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you are heading south and west, 3 T's in Lake Havasu City, Az can do the change for you. They replaced one for us a few months ago.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Kix:

I replaced the same hose on my rig...the long hose from the pump manifold to the rear slide synchro cylinder. I had one made up at a local auto parts store....much beefier hose and swaged fittings than the original. I think I paid around $32 for the hose.

It is fairly easy to replace if you don't mind getting imtimate with underbelly of the greasy beast. I checked with HWH and they verified that there was no bleed process with R&R of this hose other than running the slide in/out several times.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:46 AM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

SmlRanger (Jeff, I think)......thanks for the reply. That's just the info I've been looking for. So, HWH will advise that there's no danger of air screwing up the slide operation......right? Did you have to prefill the new hose to lessen the quantity of air?
ONe more question.....the hose on the drivers side of the synchro is the one I'll be replacing. It was originally installed in a vertical orientation adn the hose then was "bent" to go down and forward to the pump. I am thinking that an elbow out of the synchro would be better than the hose bend and lessen the strail on the swage fitting. Any thoughts on this mod? Thanks
Old 05-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KIX:
SmlRanger (Jeff, I think)......thanks for the reply. That's just the info I've been looking for. So, HWH will advise that there's no danger of air screwing up the slide operation......right? Did you have to prefill the new hose to lessen the quantity of air?
ONe more question.....the hose on the drivers side of the synchro is the one I'll be replacing. It was originally installed in a vertical orientation adn the hose then was "bent" to go down and forward to the pump. I am thinking that an elbow out of the synchro would be better than the hose bend and lessen the strail on the swage fitting. Any thoughts on this mod? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not prefill mine. When I activated the slide after replacing the hose, I could hear air for the first in/out cycle and then it worked just fine.

I can only tell you what HWH told me about the hose from the pump/manifold to the rear synchronizer on my rig....the length of the hose was not critical only the diameter. I believe it is 1/4" I.D. I see no reason why you could not use an elbow to prevent bending the hose. HWH hoses on my rig are vinyl and would seem to kink if bent too much. The replacement hose I got was a very high quality and supple rubber.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
KIX
Winnebago Master

Thansk for the reply SMLRanger. I sent you a private email.
Thanks KIX
Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well today I did my regular hydralic hose check and found another hose with a bubble on it.I cann't remenber if this is number 5 or 6 hoses. I'm going to check with HWH and find out what the pressure rating is for the hoses and have my on hoses made.I just replaced a rear slide ram.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote