Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am at the Gaffney freightliner service and training center in a 2001 Journey for the class and 24 month service and when I went to close my slides they started to immediately creep out. I have looked over the topics here on IRV2 and guess it is a solenoid or check valve The solenoid bleeds all seem to be closed tight. The phone numbers in my book for HWH do not seem to work, anyone have a current one?
I am leaving this afternoon and guess I will use the straps on the kitchen slide but not sure what to do on the bedroom slide. I will try using the refrigerator adjustable rods to lock it closed. Any other ideas?
Thanks, Randy
P.S. The Camp Freightliner class is great and during the M3 service they found my radiator pretty clogged and steam cleaned it and found the heater core leaking. They do not do the core replacement so I will have the HWH and core repaired back in Virginia.
Thanks, Randy
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am at the Gaffney freightliner service and training center in a 2001 Journey for the class and 24 month service and when I went to close my slides they started to immediately creep out. I have looked over the topics here on IRV2 and guess it is a solenoid or check valve The solenoid bleeds all seem to be closed tight. The phone numbers in my book for HWH do not seem to work, anyone have a current one?
I am leaving this afternoon and guess I will use the straps on the kitchen slide but not sure what to do on the bedroom slide. I will try using the refrigerator adjustable rods to lock it closed. Any other ideas?
Thanks, Randy
P.S. The Camp Freightliner class is great and during the M3 service they found my radiator pretty clogged and steam cleaned it and found the heater core leaking. They do not do the core replacement so I will have the HWH and core repaired back in Virginia.
Thanks, Randy
Old 10-16-2007, 03:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Randy, maybe someone at Gafney can help you. Check with Pat in Service..Yup did the class myself and its very informative..Could try putting the slides back out and bringing them in again...Hold the in button several seconds after they close and see if that helps..Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The HWH phone number is (800) 321-3494 according to their site.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Randy,

Welcome to the forum . I had slide creep but it only affected my rear slide. HWH (and the book if you have one) will tell you that most cause of slide creeping out is a bad 'extend' solenoid. I ended up replacing both the extend and retract solenoids for my rear slide. Corrected the problem for a while, then reoccurred. HWH had me chasing a leak but I could not find one. Finally, replaced the extend solenoid with another one, and my problem went away.

If both of your slides are creeping out, it may likely be the check valve (HWH told me if the check valve on the manifold was bad, both slides would be affected). Try to get Steve at HWH...he is very helpful.

Please come back and let us know what the fix was.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">try putting the slides back out and bringing them in again...Hold the in button several seconds after they close </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It could be a solenoid, but the above advise is the right place to start. The first time we had the problem, the Coach-Net tech we called told us we should never open or close the slides part way as that tended to cause creep. His cure was run them all the way out, holding the extend button down 3-5 seconds after the slide stops. Then run them all the way in, again holding the button down 3-5 seconds after the slide stops. And in the future, to always hold the button down about 3 seconds after the slide stops moving.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Those are my normal procedures for open and closing and I have tried to run it full out and back and held for 5 seconds and it still was creeping. After class I will try it again.
Thanks for the help, Randy
Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you have a mind to, you might try swapping the extend/retract solenoids. I believe they are made the same. <span class="ev_code_RED">CAUTION THO:</span>: I'm not sure of the procedure as pressure will be present, best check with HWH. I have only worked on the jack solenoids.

If the solenoids are same age as coach, you may want to replace the O rings. I did on my jack solenoids.

Here is a link to my pics of the jack solenoids

Jack Solenoid

Outside of the check valve, which I am not familiar with, it looks like there are only 2 ways for the fluid to migrate once they are closed. 1 is thru the needle valve at the end, and 2 is around the o-rings.

Also, I believe that the end that houses the needle valve is adjustable. I'm just not sure if this could cure any wear caused over time on the needle valve seat.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well the creep problem turned out to be air in the system and the solution was to add a bit less than a quart of Hyd. oil and worked it in and out a number of times and it creeped no more.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Randy
Old 10-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Had same problem w/ the LR slide. it creeped out while driving, the most horrible whistle I have ever heard, was coming from air coming thru the 1 - 2 inch space between coach and slide. Held the retract button on close, till I was able to get off the road. Well to make a long story short, the hydraulic pump went bad, was unable to hold pressure. HWH air freighted a new one over nite, was back in business the following day. HWH reps can help you trouble shoot,over the phone, worked for me. Good company (Was on my 02 horizon, 39QD)
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote