Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH Check Valves-New Twist??

Reviewed all check valve posts and cannot find my solution to my problem.

Situation: Removed chk valves innerds several months ago on back of HWH. All seemed well until last week when hooked up to city water and the fresh water tank started to slowly fill without the diverter valve being positioned to the "fill" position. Only way I could tell that there was water slowly bleeding into the fresh water tank was water on the ground coming from the fresh water tank overfill down spout.

Seems as if water is bleeding out of the HWH and some how slowly filling the fresh water tank.

The obvious solution is to replace the check valves with new ones which I will do when I can find a dealer that carries them. Couldn't find them at Lowe's, Home Depot or Ace Hardware.

Question: How is the water slowly bleeding into the fresh water tank?
The tank fills on city water position or when demand pump is turned on.
Water pump activates every few seconds indicating a leak or open valve but the "leak" is the water bleeding into the water tank. Comments??

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm having a check valve problem also. Couldn't find one locally either. Ordered from Dyers RV
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Chief, are you sure the fill valve is shut off completely or may have started to leak as some posts in the past have found? Replacing the valve in the water bay requires taking panels off to access the piping and some have explained the process in past threads. Good luck!!!
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Reviewed all check valve posts and cannot find my solution to my problem.

Situation: Removed chk valves innerds several months ago on back of HWH. All seemed well until last week when hooked up to city water and the fresh water tank started to slowly fill without the diverter valve being positioned to the "fill" position. Only way I could tell that there was water slowly bleeding into the fresh water tank was water on the ground coming from the fresh water tank overfill down spout.

Seems as if water is bleeding out of the HWH and some how slowly filling the fresh water tank.

The obvious solution is to replace the check valves with new ones which I will do when I can find a dealer that carries them. Couldn't find them at Lowe's, Home Depot or Ace Hardware.

Question: How is the water slowly bleeding into the fresh water tank?
The tank fills on city water position or when demand pump is turned on.
Water pump activates every few seconds indicating a leak or open valve but the "leak" is the water bleeding into the water tank. Comments??
i replaced the plastic atwood 10 gallon water check valves on my moho with camco brass check valves pn 23303 from cw.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Chief:
Same thing happened to me but I fixed it by checking the city/fill valve as it was a few degrees from being completely on the city position. Before installing new check valves reposition your city/fill valve to city. It takes only a slight missallignment to fill your tank and cycle your water pump.

Charlie Tuit
02 Journey 143,000 miles
XL--7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Chief

I had the same problem. I found the fill/city valve leaking by so I removed the valve core and purchased a new valve from rv parts dealer and removed the core from the new valve and put it in the old valve. I didn't have to remove the valve or any panels
zekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ditto what zekie said. Have fixed both fill valve and low point drain valve.city

My $ is on city valve. Pull off handle, unscrew outside plastic nut. With needle nose pliers pull out plastic seal holder and seal. Look at seal to see if portion that seals hole is not deformed The seal holder has 4 prongs, when mine leaked it was because one prong had broken.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thks for the replies guys. Looks as if I will need to replace/rework the city water inlet valve as well as replace the check valves. Just didn't think the valve could be remaining open a crack when the mechanical limit was reached. Anything is possible.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote