Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

HWH bedroom slide problem

Tonight we were watching TV and suddenly felt a jolt that rocked the whole MH. Felt like somebody had backed into the rig. Investigation showed that our bedroom slide had retracted about 8", leaving it open about 5". It retracted the rest of the way with the wall switch, but now will not reopen. The motor runs and the kitchen slide and jacks work normally. Could I have an hydraulic line failure going to the activating cylinder? If so, how do I get the slide open again to get at the mechanism? All ideas are appreciated. I'll probably call HWH on Monday to see if they have ever encountered this problem before.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #2
KIX
Winnebago Master

I would think that if you had a hyd. line failure you would have a good size fluid puddle somewhere. Do you?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It's dark outside now, I'll do a more thorough examination in the morning when I can see better. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Could be the actuator seal. But, my best guess is that the extend hose or the actuator itself failed.
It wouldn't be a solenoid as power must be applied to the solenoid for it to open. If the extend solenoid failed intenally (unlikely) I think the same thing could have happened.
Ain't RVing fun............
Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Any ideas about how to get to the actuator or get the slide open? I agree that RVing is fun, never a dull moment!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

No on how to get to the actuator.
On how to get it open I would think that HWH could better advise you. You really need to know what caused the problem before you try to "over ride" the normal operations.
Have you tried to contact HWH yet? Any fluid puddles?
Check fluid in resersvoir with jacks UP and all slides IN.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

After daylight I found a little puddle under the MH although it pretty much soaked in the sand. Called HWH, talked to Frank, and we concluded that I probably broke a hose. Called John at Towing World in Wildwood, FL and he walked me through some other things to check. We later drove over there and he confirmed the ruptured hose theory. The hose had rubbed on the frame until it couldn't stand the pressure. Luckily, it was one that could be spliced so we cut out the bad section and replaced it with a union. Problem solved, DW can now get back in the underwear drawer and we're settled back at our campsite. Not a bad day except it could have been more fun without the hassle. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #8
KIX
Winnebago Master

Glad it turned out to be a 'not so bad of a problem' type problem. When he cut the hose and spiced a union back in you should hope that he flushed out any debris created when he made the cut. Any debris in the system eventually finds it's way to the solenoids and will keep them from making a positive seal. The symptoms can be a slide that won't stay extended or won't stay closed.
Also very happy to hear that your wife can get back in her underwear drawer.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'm really amazed you were able to reach HWH and still have time to get to a dealer who would fix it that same day. Every time I've called HWH (and they do help get the problem fixed) its usually anywhere from 4 hours to the next day before my call is returned.

Glad you were close enough to be able to get it fixed and back to camping. These little inconveniences can really be a nuisance when you're trying to have fun.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

It was late last night when we got back to the campground so the owner offered us a pull-thru site for overnight and then we moved to our regular site today. We didn't extend the jacks or the big slide last night. Today, after we got settled, set the jacks, extended the bedroom slide and got the big slide about halfway out before it stalled. Oops, we forgot to check the fluid level. As luck would have it, the closest dealer was out of the HWH stuff until Thursday so we still don't have full use of the rig.

John at Towing World called it "Barbara Mandrell Fluid" because they had her private coach at HWH for repairs, sprung a leak and stained the interior bad enough to require big time repairs. The next day, HWH switched to ATF with no red dye, and charge a premium price for it. Interesting story, don't know if it's true or not.