Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My jacks work great in the manual mode. The auto mode is a different matter. Manual calibration has always been overly sensitive.
We have changed out the small leveling PC card and the adjusting mechanism itself. No luck.
Any ideas?

Baxter the Cat
rvskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My jacks work great in the manual mode. The auto mode is a different matter. Manual calibration has always been overly sensitive.
We have changed out the small leveling PC card and the adjusting mechanism itself. No luck.
Any ideas?

Baxter the Cat
Old 11-11-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you have not already done so, call HWH. Their tech support people are great. They normally take your information and have a technician call you back. I've dealt with them several times and did not consider the wait to be excessive. Depending on your level of expertise, they will walk you through the trouble shooting procedures down to taking multi-meter readings at various connections, even at circuit board level.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The level sensors are a little tricky to adjust and are very sensitive. I have had to adjust mine two or three times. Seems like every six months the auto leveling doesn't seem to work properly and then I discover it is trying to level to out-of-level and then fusses about "excess slope."

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The HWH techs are scratching there heads.
Anyone out there with a similar problem?

Baxter the Cat
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

What exactly is it doing. IF it is constantly raising one corner of the coach, you may have a pressure sensor on that jack that is out of adjustment. The pressure sensor is adjustable.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Just went through this same problem, replaced pc card holder as well as the adjusting mechanism. As John has indicated above, the leveling sensors are in fact very sensitive. Took me several attempts to finally realize that I was going too fast and was too heavy with the tools to accomplish the task. Keep trying with the adjustment an be very gentle. Good Luck!!!

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

When attempting to adjust the Auto Leveling System you need to realize, as previous posters have noted, the adjustments are very slight to affect change.
I would suggest going to a flat, level, hardtopped parking lot on a calm, non windy day.
Do the leveling adjustment procedures and go very slow and steady. Jumping in and out of the Coach can cause it to rock and mess up your adjustments.
I noticed that HWH has a seperate area inside where they put the coach on a lift and set up the adjustments.

Good Luck

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

My procedure is to first manually level the coach. I use a spirit level on the galley counter top (the bathroom door is a wonderful level indicator - if it stays put when half-way open, you're level.)

It is not important if the ground the coach is occupying is level. As long as you can manually level the coach to your satisfaction, that's all that's required.

I use a mirror and the proper size sockets (I can't tell you off the top of my head what size they are) and by simply turning the socket itself (without an extension or handle!) and watching the LEDs in the mirror, I turn the adjustments until all four LEDs are extinguished.

Then I test the adjustment. Retract the jacks and then invoke auto-level. Sometimes I need to readjust to get it just right.

The repeatability of level is not good - often I will need to 'tweak' the automatic level to get it just right.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Like a lot of RVers, I've abandoned the electronic leveling indicator lights altogether with considerable success. In short, I first drove the RV to a level place. Use carpenter's levels or whatever you want to verify that the RV is reasonable level.

Then attach one "RV style" bubble level to the drivers door or wall (where you can easily see it while sitting in the driver's seat). Attach a second level on the dash, right above the gauges. Make sure that the indicators are installed so that the bubble is exactly in the middle.

When you arrive at a campground site, simply use the manual leveling controls until each level shows the bubble in the middle. On my 04' Brave, I level side to side first and then level front to back. It takes a little getting used to at first but after a while, you'll be leving your rig in less than a minute without leaving the driver's seat. Don't worry about getting your rig perfectly level. Close is good enough. Hope this helps.

Jack
Old 12-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

For the HWH System I have done this. Attach a RV style bubble level to the driver's side window and then the second level on the Middle front window. Adjusted the bubbles so they are exactly Level on Level ground and a Level MH.
I did modify the Leveling broad on my own. (Note pictures) it is more repeatable.
So when I go to level, I let the Auto Level system go to work first. Then fine tune it with the Bubble Levels.

There are two screws for X, Y adjustment and one for pivot on. The adjustment screws pass thru rubber grommets and the X, Y screws can be adjusted from the outside. It is more of rigid board mount then the stock mount.
unclesmirf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by unclesmirf:
--snip--
I did modify the Leveling broad on my own. (Note picture) it is more repeatable.
So when I go to level, I let the Auto Level system go to work first. Then fine tune it with the Bubble Levels.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>What exactly did you do with the board? It is difficult to tell from the picture.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:51 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I bought one of those leveling guides shaped like an "X" from RV Innovations. The best $50 I ever spent. Works like a champ and am level in a matter of seconds.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

There are two screws for X, Y adjustment and one for pivot. The adjustment screws pass thru rubber grommets and the X, Y screws can be adjusted from the outside. It is more of rigid board mount then the stock mount.
unclesmirf is offline   Reply With Quote