Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH 325 slides/jacks not working

I'm in the early stages of troubleshooting this, but the talent level and corporate knowledge here is so awesome I thought I'd reach out to you!

2005 Adventurer 38R, with HWH 325 jacks/slides.

Symptoms....
Slides have worked fine this spring in the driveway until yesterday, both are in, but will not extend using any extend switch in coach.

Jacks were extended, but when key is ON or Acc, got jacks alarm but no Master Jacks down light on dash, hmmmmm. Checked Jacks alarm fuse under dash, OK. May be a bulb, need to check that.

Retracted jacks, no problem, power to the HWH control panel on dash OK.

Tried to extend jacks, none will extend.

Chassis batt shows 12.1 volts, so tried starting the coach for a little extra voltage, but no change.

When I push an extend button on control panel at dash, the ON light blinks and I can hear a click at electronic control panel near solenoids/pump/motor.

I have HWH 325 service manual, but cannot find a reference to why the ON light blinks while pushing an extend button on control panel.
quick check of fuses located on electronic control panel look good.

Next step is to check power at the pump/motor with a meter and see what I get. Will also check ground.

Diagnosis?

Thx for looking, heading back out to driveway to check on the patient!
G3G4G5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

i also own winnebago product.
first thing to check is the switch. the switches used are notorious for failure. i carry two with me all the times. there are six tabs on the switch. one side runs the motor, the other runs the solenoid valves.
. the center tab on the motor side is hot all the time. there is a jumper from the pump to the valve side. when the extend side of the switch is pushed, the power on both sides of the switch are needed to move the room out. check the tabs with a 12 volt tester. no power on either of the outside tabs indicate a bad switch. same for the retract function. if you have power on both sides of the lines of switch tabs, follow the manual for doing the rest of the diagnosis.
check the pump relay to make sure its passing power to the pump motor. there should be a separate 12 volt relay for the rooms.
if you need further help, please call me. i can help.
1-602-549-3638 paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Checked voltage at pump relay at #2 and ground at #4, 11 volts with key in ACC. Sure wish the slide was out on that side, it is tight in there! Now need to check voltage at #3 when extend switch is pushed for a slide or jack. Waiting on DW to return.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-08 at 10.54.16.png
Views:	997
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	161068  
Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thx Paul for the info, may indeed call u. Are you talking about the extend/retract toggles switches inside the coach?
Also, when pressing an extend jack button on touch panel,
ON light flashes, does this help diagnosis? Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
i also own winnebago product.
first thing to check is the switch. the switches used are notorious for failure. i carry two with me all the times. there are six tabs on the switch. one side runs the motor, the other runs the solenoid valves.
. the center tab on the motor side is hot all the time. there is a jumper from the pump to the valve side. when the extend side of the switch is pushed, the power on both sides of the switch are needed to move the room out. check the tabs with a 12 volt tester. no power on either of the outside tabs indicate a bad switch. same for the retract function. if you have power on both sides of the lines of switch tabs, follow the manual for doing the rest of the diagnosis.
check the pump relay to make sure its passing power to the pump motor. there should be a separate 12 volt relay for the rooms.
if you need further help, please call me. i can help.
1-602-549-3638 paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum
Old 05-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Update on the patient.......

LEDs on the electronic control panel showed normal. I also had good power to the pump relay #2 post from the battery, so before moving forward with troubleshooting, I loosened connections at terminals #1-5, cleaned with a wire brush and retightened. Guess what? the jacks and slides now work fine. Woohoo!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

yes, since its a winnebago, the switches inside the coach are the first place i would check.
good to hear. sometimes the simple fixes are best.
whether the light flashes or not, depends on the system you have, and how the mfg configured it.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Hi Chris, Good to hear you found the problem. Since your HWH pump is located somewhat low and behind the front wheel, I can imagine it gets a constant spray of road grime when you're driving in the rain. That would accelerate the corrosion process compared to my coach where it's mounted in front and below the radiator and it stays pretty clean even driving in the rain.

So I was thinking that maybe some kind of added cover/shield over the whole control pump assy would keep it operational longer with less contamination.

Also, a big THANK YOU to Paul aka "azpete", you are a great resource for us HWH owners. You really know your stuff and your recommendations you have given me have been spot on!

Happy Trails,
Bill

Tags
hwh, jacks, slide