Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I was at HWH yesterday getting my dinette slide fixed after Winnebago screwed it up. It seems that Winnebago changes the slide guide (1/2" guide for the slide to lower to floor level) by prying and forcing the new guide into position. The HWH tech shook his head and said "here's another one Winnebago screwed up", the tech did say mine was not as bad as others he has seen.

Anyway, I was told while at HWH that Winnebago is moving away from the HWH product line and will be using electric slides and jacks. They were not sure if this would affect the whole product line or just the smaller units. If this is true, along with the move to rear radiators on another post it will remove Winnebago from my list of replacements of my present coach. Here is another example where the "bean counters" are making short sighted decisions to boost next quarter profits and screwing up the long term health of the company.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I was at HWH yesterday getting my dinette slide fixed after Winnebago screwed it up. It seems that Winnebago changes the slide guide (1/2" guide for the slide to lower to floor level) by prying and forcing the new guide into position. The HWH tech shook his head and said "here's another one Winnebago screwed up", the tech did say mine was not as bad as others he has seen.

Anyway, I was told while at HWH that Winnebago is moving away from the HWH product line and will be using electric slides and jacks. They were not sure if this would affect the whole product line or just the smaller units. If this is true, along with the move to rear radiators on another post it will remove Winnebago from my list of replacements of my present coach. Here is another example where the "bean counters" are making short sighted decisions to boost next quarter profits and screwing up the long term health of the company.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm with you!
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

What are your thoughts regarding HWH vrs. electric slides? I have had both and so far no real problems with either one. I like the positive feel with the HWH, do you think it is better?

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
There are pro and cons for each. Newmar uses an electric motor and a gear reduction system. The key to this system is the controller and a limit rod. The controller is current sensing, so as soon as the slide hits the out/in limit, the current running the motor raises it stops. How do I know... I had a limit rod break. I repaired it myself for about $6, saved a 6 hour round trip to the dealer and at least day in the shop.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 08-01-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Also note Newmar has always used the electric motor and I just had a picture frame crushed by the torque from it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

When FC screwed ours up with a non fix, it didn't self destruct until we got home. We then had to go to 2 dealers, 1 over 100 miles away to get it fixed. When they couldn't do it, HWH called and walked the tecs though it. No probs since. Wish we had stopped at HWH while out that way. Would have saved a lot of time (6 weeks) and fuel. I don't know what has happened to QC, just as our hi pressure AC line was routed over the turbo, someone shoulda caught it.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

The Winnie factory service is very, very good, but they certainly don't necessarily get everything right on the first try. Our slow jack retraction was a good case in point. We have lived with this problem for two years and twice FC had a chance at fixing it. HWH factory service almost immediately diagnosed the problem as us having four of a bad batch of jacks from HWH that were being installed about the time our coach was being built.

We were in and out of the service bay in about two hours, problem solved.

My thinking is if you can have the vendor manufacturer work on the part/sub-system, you are much better off for something like the jack or slide mechanism.

However, Forest City is still on my radar of highly desirable places to get the coach worked on.

It is very disturbing to me to find out that Winnie is removing highly desirable functional features that aren't "sexy" like a side radiator in the Vectra/Horizon and saving ?? bucks. My guess is the product planners/designers are trying to increase the interior wow and bling-bling to drive sales and drive the manufacturing expenses down.

Knowledgeable shoppers of something that expensive will be smart enough to consider things like quality of construction, fit and finish, and evaluate the quality and engineering of systems and components used.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Add to this a KNOWN slide problem with 01, 02 and some 03 models (Chieftain in this case). This is a NO COST fix due to the supplier error and NOT a HWH problem. The supplier changed the spec with notifying HWH.

While I was at HWH another customer had his slide hoses replaced due to a defect in the hose fittings. This particular customer had his coach in for repairs numerous times at different dealers for leak repairs. It was never repaired correctly due to the difficulty in replacing the hoses. The HWH tech said that someone started to repair it as he could tell they started to take the bay a part but quit and put it back together. They had to disassemble a couple of bays. It took a tech almost 8 hours to complete the repairs.

From what I learned Winnebago knew about the problem. Did Winnebago notify the dealer network? If not why? Why didn't they do a recall?
Old 08-02-2007, 04:21 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I for one am not in favor of Winnie taking HWH out of the picture. They have been a great outfit to do business with and stand behind their products all the way. My brother has an electric slide and has had a lot of problems. My HWH system has had very little problem. I am sure there are differences of opinion on these systems, but I just gave mine.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I think the problem with Winnebago Factory Service is that they need to have techs "certified" on the vendor supplied systems on their coaches. Maybe not every tech but enough of them so they have the ability to handle the problems. HWH became aware of the method that Winnebago was replacing the guides as coaches began visiting the HWH service area. HWH then told Winnebago that they needed to disassemble the slide arm to install the guide instead of prying it into place and in so doing they were bending the side plate that the guide rides on.

I am in general very happy with Winnebago FC, and it was my primary reason for purchasing a second Winnebago product. I asked several HWH techs to rate the quality of the Winnebago FC techs and they wouldn't respond, but they said instead that many Winnebago employees that own a Winnebago bring their coaches there for repair. I guess that tells it all.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 08-03-2007, 03:01 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">For anyone interested in ordering the electric jacks on their new coach-forget it! If they fail in the down position and the failure is due to a component failure other than the motor the only way to retract them is to remove them! If you are parked on a hard surface-good luck-you can dig a hole a foot deep or jack up the coach a foot. Just dug the hole at the Russian River in Alaska(fortunately dirt underneath)-now awaitng for the new jack from Atwood. The electric jacks are another cost reduction by Newmar(and other manufacturers) that does not work!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I copied this off the Newmar forum... so your not alone.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:40 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

The biggest problem that I had with my coach when it was new was with the HWH system leaking. After SIX trips to the dealer, they finally mangaged to fix the problem. What I first assumed was a HWH problem, later turned out to be service techs that did not know what they were doing with the repairs. It finally took the service manager himself to work on the problem to finally fix it.

At one point all of the solenoids were replaced, both in and out solenoids. Now I wonder if they were ever the problem. I had slides that would not stay put, and significant leaks from numerious places. Now I would suspect that over tightening of the fittings damaged many of the threads causing the leaks.

On the second to the last trip all the solenoids were replaced. The tech crushed an "O" ring, and his fix was to put a bigger wrench on it and flatten the solenoid against the manifold.

Needless to say that didn't work. Now I hope that several of the other "O" rings aren't damaged as well

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I am a firm supporter of HWH as well. I have had HWH Jacks on my last 3 coaches and will not consider purchasing another with out HWH Jacks.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 05:31 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I spoke to the tech about R&R of the solenoids. It takes special tool. According to him the key is to NOT go overboard tightening them, thats what the "O" ring is for.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I replaced both my extend and retract solenoids for my rear slide (due to slide creep) and the techs I spoke to at HWH said nothing about a special tool. In fact, none of the three solenoids I have had shipped to me had any instructions included. I used a pair of channel lock pliers to R & R the solenoids but tried not to overtighten them.

My problem resolved for about two weeks but has returned with a vengence. I'm going to let a local independent RV mechanic have a try at fixing the issue. If he can't, I'm off to HWH in IA.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:23 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

If you look at the front of the solenoid you will see 2 small holes. The tool looks like a big socket with a couple pins in the end that match up with the holes. There are a couple of relief slot cut on the tool so the wire clear. But, the tech also said to use a set of channel locks (as you did) if you don't have the tool.

Before you go to HWH call them. They are pretty good about helping you and may save you a trip.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Dale:

I've been having conversations with Steve at HWH about every two days. He also said the special tool wasn't very sturdy and recommended channel locks.

I have one extra solenoid and they want me to replace the extend solenoid again on a long shot that I have had the bad luck to have gotten two bad solenoids in a row. If that doesn't fix the problem, the focus shifts back to the main ram assembly for the bedroom slide.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

John and others,

Regarding the side radiator, I note that the companies with the side radiators also have roof a/c equipment. Winne uses the curb side for the basement a/c and the other side for auto a/c. That leaves only the rear for the auto radiator.

It seems to me that we can't have it both ways. Either a/c on the roof and side radiators or basement a/c and rear radiator.

I personnally detest the roof a/c and the basement a/c was one of the reasons I bought Winne in the first place.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote