Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to winterize water dispenser on Whirlpool frig

I'm thinking way ahead here. I will need to winterize the cold water dispenser in the residential Whirlpool frig when we head back from snowbirding.

The Whirlpool booklet that came with the Winnie doesn't say anything about how to winterize the cold water dispenser. I can call Winnie or Whirlpool but thought I would ask here first for real world experience.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

How to winterize water dispenser on Whirlpool frig

I recently installed a whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator to replace the norcold one in our Revolution.

What I did is pulled the internal refrigerator water filter first. Next, I used compressed air to blow out all the lines. This included running the water dispenser on the refrigerator until it was done spitting water.

Then I decide to pump RV antifreeze through the water system. Again I ran the refrigerator water dispenser until the pink antifreeze ran out.

Two other things I did, which you may want to consider, is to flush the water out of the ice maker and to either dump the water out of the freezer water trap or pour a small amount down the condesate drain.

For the ice maker, I swapped the solenoid connections between the ice maker and the water dispenser. That way I could press the water dispenser and it would activate the ice maker water fill solenoid. Pulled the housing on the ice maker and stuffed some paper towels under the ice maker water spout. Pushed the water dispenser paddle until pink antifreeze started flowing out. Removed the paper towels and put the housing back on.

The water trap can be reached from inside the freezer. Dump an ounce or so down the small drain. If you can get to the trap from the back, you can also remove a screw, pull the trap out and just dump out the small amount of water.

Hope this helps.

Dave and Young
2003 Revolution 40c
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

IMO don't use the RV antifreeze in the water system. If you use 25lb air to blow your system out and then leave the faucets open you should have no issues and less spring un-winterizing stuff to do.
The key to Ice maker winterizing is during that last Fall trip to shut off water to the Ice maker and then disconnect the line going to it but leave it operational so that it will cycle and drain the water out of it.
Run your Cold Water dispenser until its dry and pull the filter.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
IMO don't use the RV antifreeze in the water system. If you use 25lb air to blow your system out and then leave the faucets open you should have no issues and less spring un-winterizing stuff to do.
The key to Ice maker winterizing is during that last Fall trip to shut off water to the Ice maker and then disconnect the line going to it but leave it operational so that it will cycle and drain the water out of it.
Run your Cold Water dispenser until its dry and pull the filter.
That sounds reasonable. Ice maker is not a problem. It is the dispenser I had questions about. I really should buy a bigger compressor and use air.It would save me lots of money. I have to winterize after snowbirding, after fall in Utah and after spring in Utah. The basecamp is at 8200 feet and we have frost until late May.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 04:29 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVThunder View Post
That sounds reasonable. Ice maker is not a problem. It is the dispenser I had questions about. I really should buy a bigger compressor and use air.It would save me lots of money. I have to winterize after snowbirding, after fall in Utah and after spring in Utah. The basecamp is at 8200 feet and we have frost until late May.
One of the small 3gallon air compressors from Habor Freight, Lowe's, or Home Depot for about $60 will do the job and you can store it in the basement of your MH for other things.
If you have an Air outlet on your MH then all you really need is an extension, a regulator, and the correct connections to use it.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

What he said!! I have used air for 40+ years and no problem, just put non-toxic in the drain traps. As far as the ice maker I disconnect the 2 water lines on the water valve on the outside of the coach while using air and have never had a problem. EASY!!!
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If your Whirlpool is anything like our Maytag (same maker just different badges) and has the filter in the ceiling of the fridge, then the filter must be in place to blow the water out of the water dispenser portion.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, winter