Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks:

Well while the coach is in getting repaired for the AC problems, had them check out a bad jack that will not come all the way down. Thought maybe the lines needed to be bled and checked.

Had a call this morning, said the plunger in the manifold was fused stuck and needed 4 new solenoids. All said, we will end up spending around 1400.00. (Note, HWH had to held diagnose the problem as the service guy said he's never seen this problem before). The coach is 6 years old with no extended warranty. Still don't think this should have happened.

Has anyone out there replaced the manifold and solenoids themselves? Trying to decide to leave it for service or take on a new task ourselves. Thx.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi Folks:

Well while the coach is in getting repaired for the AC problems, had them check out a bad jack that will not come all the way down. Thought maybe the lines needed to be bled and checked.

Had a call this morning, said the plunger in the manifold was fused stuck and needed 4 new solenoids. All said, we will end up spending around 1400.00. (Note, HWH had to held diagnose the problem as the service guy said he's never seen this problem before). The coach is 6 years old with no extended warranty. Still don't think this should have happened.

Has anyone out there replaced the manifold and solenoids themselves? Trying to decide to leave it for service or take on a new task ourselves. Thx.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Jeff,
I think your shop is blowing smoke at you. Each solenoid works a jack, if none of your jacks worked, but your pump did, then maybe you need to replace all your solenoids. Me, I would either do it myself or get a second opinion, I would also contact HWH as I understand their customer service, and help solving problems, is top notch.

Good Luck!

Glenn
Old 09-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Agree with Mutha. I can understand replacing the offending solenoid only. It is not too difficult to do DIY. Access to it may be the biggest problem. I had an issue with slideout creep that was diagnosed by a phone call to HWH and repaired with replacing a solenoid. Did it myself as all it took was unplug an electrical connection and unscrewing the solenoid from the manifold/pump assembly. Certainly give a call to HWH for a 2nd opinion. Best of luck.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The diagnosis doesn't make sense. If the SEAT was fused in the manifold without the needle all the way in the jack would only stay extended as long as the pump was running. When the pump shuts off the return springs should put enough pressure on the piston to force the oil back past the unseated needle to the reservoir and the jack should return to the stored position.

If the SEAT is fused to the manifold with the needle in the orifice there should be no oil getting to the jack and it will not extend.

If the SEAT fused to the manifold with the needle in the orifice after the jack was extended the oil can't return to the reservoir and the jack should remain extended.

First of all check the fluid level in your tank with all jacks and slides retracted. It may be as simple as not enough fluid to activate all the cylinders. All the cylinders and lines are self bleeding. If it's only low fluid there shouldn't need to be anything done beyond refilling the tank and cycling the system a couple times.

If you have a leak the offending cylinder or line can be replaced and the system bled by cycling it a couple times.

If the jack only partially extends or slowly retracts over time it's likely there's dirt or debris caught between the needle in the solenoid and the seat.

Fully extend the jacks and continue to hold the button for about 5 seconds. This pressurizes the system and in most cases will force the debris out of the seat. Try this procedure 2-3 times before disassembling anything.

If all else fails you may have to replace a solenoid or even the manifold if the SEAT has been damaged. Neither is difficult. The most difficult problem is remembering where the hoses and wires go. It's best to mark everything before disassembly and make a schematic.

Somehow I doubt you're going to have to go that far.

On Edit: The capitalized words have been changed to reflect the proper diagnostic procedure.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Unless HWH has changed their systems, the needle and seat are in the solenoid, not manifold. Here is a pic of one I removed:

Jack Solenoid

The needle does not touch the manifold. The only part of the solenoid that touches the manifold is the threads to screw it in.

Is the same jack affected no matter which way you are leveling, front to back or side to side?

Before spending that kind of money I would reverse 2 solenoids to see if the problem migrates to a different jack. If not, I would suspect the jack being bent.

I removed my solenoids using a pipe wrench.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Dan: The solenoids in our Adventurer are the same as the one in your picture. I just went to the basement to be sure since I have 2 left from a previous repair (should have done that before my last post). I decided to keep them rather than return them to HWH just in case there was a future need.

In any case the diagnostic procedure should be similar. I've edited my previous post to correct the mistake.

I'm wondering if the seat isn't still stuck in the manifold and that's the part the dealership thinks is fused in the bore. If you look closely at the assembly you can see the seat is threaded into the solenoid and held in place with a lock nut. If the O ring in the end of the seat got twisted in the bore the seat might have been left behind when removing the solenoid
Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...had them check out a bad jack that will not come all the way down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My money's on the bent jack. A solenoid (needle valve) is either closed or open. Even if barely open or "not seated", fluid will flow.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #9
RET
Winnebago Camper

Hey DiAnna-Jeff,Has your problem been rectified and if so what was necessary to resolve it? Dancin Camper, I read your prevoius problem regarding your levelers settling where your replaced the O rings, has that still solved that problem? Did you have to bleed air out of the system when you replaced the solenoid O rings? How did you do it if so?
RET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
RET
Winnebago Camper

I am bumping this to see if I can get a response. Anyone???
RET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We had a situation with the jacks (all of them) not coming up. Replaced the manifold. Works fine now.