Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

How to remove engine water pump on 34Y

Hi folks,
Today I took my motor home to a Cummins Coach Care facility to have the water pump on the 6.7 liter ISB replaced (it's leaking). The problem is nobody can figure out how to get to it. This is on my 2010 Journey Express 34Y. My unit was actually made in 2009, so it still has basement air conditioning and no DEF tank. From the bottom, the fan shroud is blocking access, from the sides, the exhaust and air conditioning are blocking access. From the top, through bottom of the closet you would have to have 6 foot long arms. Freightliner help line and Winnebago help line were not helpful. If any of you have dealt with this problem, I would appreciate your help.
Thanks,
Charlie
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Unfortunately you have just come face to face with the major problem of a rear radiator M/H.
By not helpful do you mean, they said the rad has to come out ?
Notching the fan shroud may be the best option.
In Dodge P/Us you have to remove the, serp belt,then the fan and shroud at the same time, then change the w/pump.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

By "not helpful" I mean Freightliner said something like "we didn't put the box on". Winnebago said go down through the closet with your 6 foot long arms, you don't need to move the radiator. I think it would be a lot easier if Freightliner used a 2-piece shroud so the bottom half could be removed. I have worked on cars that had a 2-piece shroud, it makes the job much easier.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

In 30+ years at a Dodge dealership, I know for sure that the designers don't listen to the mechanics, and keep building s... that can't be worked on. They sit in their ivory towers with a computor programs that tells them that a part will fit in this space, with no allowance for repair.
You never know there names and any complaints to them go unanswered .
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Be prepared to pay for them to pull the cooling pack...radiator and intercooler to get to the water pump.

If it is not leaking so bad you can get the coach to Gaffney, SC, I am sure the folks at the Freightliner Custom Chassis Service center can do the job.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Gary was right. They had to R/R the CAC and radiator. All fixed now under the 5 year Cummins engine warranty. Yay!! They did charge me $79.00 for half the price of 5 gallons of antifreeze. The water pump was $153 and labor was $333, both covered by Cummins. Hooray for the big C. Cummins Atlantic in Kenly, NC did the work quickly and everyone was very courteous and professional. We already put a review on rvservicereviews.com.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Betty and I pulled the CAC and radiator out on the side of the road in Mexico so we could replace the water pump. 5 minutes for the pump and a day for R&R radiator CAC and shroud.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #8

It is a simple project. Altho a bit spendy;; You remove the rear coach cap, Remove the Raderiator, Remove the intercooler Then the Fan and the pump.;; Or we can just talk about it and hope it will fix itself.. I know that sounds hard. But that is the fact;; take it to a Good shop. not the Jippo guy. And be prepaired to spend about $3200.00 Then you will be good to go and Happy. No water pump problems.. I allmost forgot Just let it go. Burn up the Engine. And about $21000.00 later you will back on the road again.... All my rude remarks are aimed at getting it fixed. not a personal attack;; Have a good day .. Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
It is a simple project. Altho a bit spendy;; You remove the rear coach cap, Remove the Raderiator, Remove the intercooler Then the Fan and the pump.;; Or we can just talk about it and hope it will fix itself.. I know that sounds hard. But that is the fact;; take it to a Good shop. not the Jippo guy. And be prepaired to spend about $3200.00 Then you will be good to go and Happy. No water pump problems.. I allmost forgot Just let it go. Burn up the Engine. And about $21000.00 later you will back on the road again.... All my rude remarks are aimed at getting it fixed. not a personal attack;; Have a good day .. Life is good.
bachler, read post #6, already repaired.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Gary was right. They had to R/R the CAC and radiator. All fixed now under the 5 year Cummins engine warranty. Yay!! They did charge me $79.00 for half the price of 5 gallons of antifreeze. The water pump was $153 and labor was $333, both covered by Cummins. Hooray for the big C. Cummins Atlantic in Kenly, NC did the work quickly and everyone was very courteous and professional. We already put a review on rvservicereviews.com.
Great that the shop , got the job done, and at least the Rad and CAC came out with out too much trouble.
Friend with an older unit needed a rad and the rear cap had to be cut to gain access.
Thanks for the follow up.

Tags
water