Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2001 Itasca 30w. The furnace is located in the back beneathe the floor under the bed. Sometimes in the middle of the night it seems like I'm sleeping on top of a 727 with all the noise. Has anyone been able to add any sound deading insulation anywhere to make it quieter?

Thanks

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2001 Itasca 30w. The furnace is located in the back beneathe the floor under the bed. Sometimes in the middle of the night it seems like I'm sleeping on top of a 727 with all the noise. Has anyone been able to add any sound deading insulation anywhere to make it quieter?

Thanks

Seattle, WA
Old 11-17-2005, 08:08 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hate to tell you this, but not much can be done to make the RV furnaces quieter, except distance between it and your ears. I can ot understnad why they would stick that noisey thing under a bed.

Ken
Old 11-17-2005, 08:26 AM   #4

The only thing I can suggest is to be sure that the furnace is operating normally. We had a wasp nest in the squirrel cage blower of a furnace in our former 5th wheel. Removing it lowered the volume level noticeably due to less vibration.

Other than that, try ceramic heaters for your primary heat source and set the furnace where it only comes on to supplement the ceramic heaters. It saves on propane, too, where you have shore power available.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

rvcarpenter, yours is a common plaint, especially if you're used to having the furnace mid-ships and now it's in the bedroom. But let me tell you, I did notice that mine was "too loud", just 3 days after our PDI and coach pick-up when new... We walked around the campground behind other coaches with furnaces under their bedrooms and learned ours was indeed louder than normal; -had almost a whine to the sound. Our dealer investigated by pulling it completely out and said that the bearings on the squirrel cage blower were not located properly (?) and they fixed it. Now the furnace blower noise is probably 40% less than what it was, and I'm getting used to it when sleeping.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have those ceramic heaters but I don't trust them when I'm asleep, plus they wouldn't keep the tanks and water lines warm with out the furnace operating, and I use the MH in the winter alot to ski so I need to keep the basement warm.

I did take off my cold air return grill which is on the side of the bed pedistal, found that hole in the floor that returns air to the furnace was partly block by that plastic they lay over the carpet when they build it. I cut that out and I get much bettter heat flow out in the living room but the sound is still about the same.

I was thinking of getting some acoustic foam to line the cold air return plenum under the bed and see if that does anything.

I'll let you know if I find any cures.

Seattle, WA
Old 11-17-2005, 10:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I can sympathize with your complaint. My old 1980 Class C Mobile Traveler had a heater under the couch/bed and it sounded like at 747 taking off. We had that motor home for 20 years and I got used to the noise but..... I never did anything about the noise but there is a possibility a knowledgeable mechanic might be able to adjust the fuel/air mixture and quiet the unit down.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Place stainless steel screens over the combustion air inlet and outlet and you'll have no wasps or other insects damaging your propane furnace. These screens are available at camping supply stores and sell for ~$20.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote