Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to open slide

I did it once. Now it won't go. What needs to be on to open the bedroom slide. Im struggling with bedding and need some spaaaaace!
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I set the parking brake and it worked. Who would have known?

OK another question though. Why is there a strap for the front slide and not the back?
Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

What needs to be on Well, kind of depends..

On my motor home I need 12v (Batteries in USE mode (Connected) or shore power and operating converter) and engine OFF

Some motor homes it's 12 volt on, engine on.

Trailers. Forget engine, there is none.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbRN View Post
I set the parking brake and it worked. Who would have known?

OK another question though. Why is there a strap for the front slide and not the back?
Barb: I don't know the "why" of it, but on the 37F only the two front slideouts have electric "locks" to keep them "IN", but the bedroom slide has no such device to keep it in. AFAIK, all three slideouts are electric motor driven.
Also, FWIW, the WBGO manual says to have the chassis motor running to ensure enough power is available for proper operation of the slides and the leveling jacks. That leads me to conclude that these systems are powered off the chassis battery, which I find odd. I don't like having to leave the engine running while setting up everything upon arrival, so I only leave it running while the jacks are getting us level. The slides seem to work just fine without the motor running, but I'm usually plugged in to shore power before moving the slideouts. Hope this helps.
Ed
Old 01-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Mine opened fine without the engine running and I figured out to set the parking break and then it worked.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Ours states level then put the slides out. Brake must be on to level so that might make sense in your case also.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwingerx2 View Post
Ours states level then put the slides out. Brake must be on to level so that might make sense in your case also.
We have the same rig as Goldwingerx2 and that's our procedure as well. Parking brake on, levelers down, slides out. I leave the chassis motor on all the while since the slides and levelers both appear to make a huge drain on the chassis battery and I'd rather be sure the alternator is replacing that drained power. I don't think that either the levelers or slides will work without the parking brake on.

I think the OP asked why there was a strap for the front slide but none for the others. I'm guessing that the front slide being a lot bigger and heavier would make it have more potential to move outward in transit. I personally don't use the strap because I'm afraid I'll forget it when I deploy the slide. Never had a problem with movement.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

How to

Our Windsport slides work fine of the battery power. we put all 3 slides out and in without on gen. or motor running. Jacks work same way, no key in ignition or they won't work.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Slides, jacks, and entrance steps ...also LP alarm I believe? ...are powered by the chassis batteries. I guess so if house batteries are dead/low after boondocking or long storage you can crank the engine, stow, and go. Makes sense to me anyway, especially the step as it does most of its in/out action while traveling.

Per recommendation of HWH at a GNR seminar, we normally have the engine running when extending/retracting both jacks and slides. As someone else mentioned, that allows the big alternator to take the load rather than the batteries. We normally do jacks down then slides out, and reverse when breaking camp.

I totally removed the front retention strap floor bracket. I have no doubt at all that the strap would serve only to remove the wood trim from the slide if the slide wanted to move. In fact, our large front slide did move out an inch or so once when a solenoid went bad. It did not go further ...I saw that in the mirror and retracted it while driving.