Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
the extend-a-stay system is very correct however transferring LPG from one tank to another via a transfer hose is not flirting with disaster in any way. its a safe easy system that I have done hundreds of time when doing LPG convertions.the system was used when u installed a new tank in a car or truck and need lpg to pressure test and fire up the new system

WRONG! Liquid transfer hoses for tank to tank are illegal in most states.
And if you don't believe me go to a propane dealer and ask for one. They are going to tell you NO!

And the reason for this is because you have to bleed off the receiving tank. And liquid propane is -45 degrees. Which is enough to cause severe burns without catching on fire.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ndCowboy View Post
WRONG! Liquid transfer hoses for tank to tank are illegal in most states.
And if you don't believe me go to a propane dealer and ask for one. They are going to tell you NO!
I could care less; Iam simply telling you what we did when we did LPG convertions and what the op could do if he wanted to simply transfer LPG from his 100lb tank to his Rv tank rather than have it actually hooked up to the rv that was 20 years ago iam sure things have changed and maybe no longer available
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:32 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
I could care less; Iam simply telling you what we did when we did LPG convertions and what the op could do if he wanted to simply transfer LPG from his 100lb tank to his Rv tank rather than have it actually hooked up to the rv that was 20 years ago iam sure things have changed and maybe no longer available
Well I'm just a guy with 20 yrs first hand knowledge in the propane industry. And liquid propane is not something the average Joe should be meddling with. The damage from liquid propane burns Never goes away.
And I care enough to inform people to not mess with it.
Spend the time and money to do it THE RIGHT WAY.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

100 lb bottle to RV

yes, i know not to lay a bottle on its side. we dont have a propane dealer anymore and the 3 RV dealers wont recommend anything due to liability.so i will just use the propane in it till it runs out ,then use a modern electric heater. i lost my garage due to bad information about the modern furnace 3 yrs ago. not going thru another fire..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage Fire Nov 08-13 003.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	147304  
Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
And the reason for this is because you have to bleed off the receiving tank. And liquid propane is -45 degrees. Which is enough to cause severe burns without catching on fire.
??? Don't understand this. Just had my 20 lb filled and the fellow opened the bleed valve while filling the tank. Makes me wonder because the tank is equipped with a shut off that stops the filling before the bleed valve shows liquid.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Well I'm just a guy with 20 yrs first hand knowledge in the propane industry. And liquid propane is not something the average Joe should be meddling with. The damage from liquid propane burns Never goes away.
And I care enough to inform people to not mess with it.
Spend the time and money to do it THE RIGHT WAY.
whatever I have more than 20 years under my belt and its certainly needs to be handled correctly but then again so does electricity and gasoline and natural gas etc ;; hooking a transfer hose to fill one tank from another is certainly not dangerous in my eyes and you keep talking about burns>?
what burns and how? your making a mountain out of a molehill here with those statements. if you talking bleed valves well one should wear gloves and if possible use a bleed wrench for sure
Old 12-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
??? Don't understand this. Just had my 20 lb filled and the fellow opened the bleed valve while filling the tank. Makes me wonder because the tank is equipped with a shut off that stops the filling before the bleed valve shows liquid.

agreed lots of filling people don't really know the ins and outs of 80% auto stop valves for sure
BUT lots of tanks don't have the valve so I think it just becomes a habit to open the 80% manual valve and call it a day
Old 12-24-2016, 06:59 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Start at 1:20 in the video.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

To be perfectly correct--"you could NOT care less." As for propane -- just buy the extended stay valve, or connect the 100lb tank directly to the MH regulator with an approved hose [ie, std ACME nut or other HIGH pressure side connectors]. This will significantly improve your chances for a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
PS--I usually try to steer clear of anything that has the word "cheater" in its description--just me.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

100 lb bottle to RV

i call it a cheater hose due to lack of what else to call it..maybe Adapter is the proper worr,it is a factory made hose and fittings,but either way.. we are going with the propane thats in it,and use a elec heater if it runs out. its only -15 C 5 F today..so cuddling might be all we need, wife is from the Yukon ,we keep our house at 65 and its too warm for her., i freeze my ass off. lol

anyway, Merry Christmas gang
Old 12-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
The bleed valve is opened while filling to know when the tank is filled to 80%. Been that way for ever.

Some untrained people were closing the bleed valve while still filling the tank. Get a little extra that way. That would result in an overfilled condition.

Soccer Mom would put the tank in the SUV and then go shopping for shoes. The gas would heat up and vent. The SUV would go boom, when she hit the power door lock button.

The OPD, Overfill Protection Device, was added for safety reasons.

Now Johnny can't blow up Soccer Mom.

The OPD can fail, as I discovered, while getting a tank filled by a drunk attendant. I should have known better then going there in the late afternoon. He got 5 gallons in before he stopped the pump. My DW asked me why Joe was sitting on the ground. I said " He's to drunk to stand "

I blead some off and exchanged the tank, when empty.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

100 lb bottle to RV

wow. a drunk attendant . could have killed you both. we had a taxi driver in Edmonton fill his own tank.didnt bother opening the bleed valve and jammed as much as he could in.. he drove away and lit a cigerette.. BOOM> first taxi on the moon.

Tags
motorhome, propane, tank