Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How to clean Basement A/C Condenser

I need to clean A/C condenser on basement unit of my 2002 Ultimate Advantage motorhome. The problem is I can't get to it because of the grill work. I can see that it is hinged on top but can't see how to release it.
grant3791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

grant3791, look up from the bottom there should be some screws going through a couple of brackets holding the bottom secure.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
grant3791, look up from the bottom there should be some screws going through a couple of brackets holding the bottom secure.
I agree. On our 2001 Adventurer there was a tab under the door at each end. There was a screw in each tab holding the door in place. Once the screws are removed the door will swing up. There's no gas shock to hold it in place so you'll probably have to prop it up with a broom or something similar. Then you can clean out the dirt dust and debris with a garden hose. Try to avoid the electrical enclosure to the rear. A direct hit with high pressure water may force some past the weather stripping.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

How long since the return air filter was changed? That has a huge effect on cooling too. I use the pleated filters, and when used continually the filter must be changed monthly. The green-screen OEM "filter" allows all that dust to clog the evaporator coil instead of catching it.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

On some there is a tab underneath towards the rear of the coach and if the propane tank is next to the unit a screw behind the propane access panel near the bottom of the frame and going toward the rear of the coach.

Be careful with the fins as you will loose efficiency with every one that you flatten. Note that if you do not fairly immediately using the correct size fin comb correct this that the fins will stay wet and start corroding if left pressed together.

On the inside I use a plastic pompom shaped toilet brush (brush without any wire frame not mop) and some self rinsing condensing coil cleaner to lightly clean the interior coils from the filter opening.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:50 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant3791 View Post
I need to clean A/C condenser on basement unit of my 2002 Ultimate Advantage motorhome. The problem is I can't get to it because of the grill work. I can see that it is hinged on top but can't see how to release it.
AS others have said there are two screws accessible from under the coach. They are towards the rear of the coach. Also, open the compartment door just forward of the A/C door and there are three screws in the door jamb.
You will likely need to clean the evap coil alos. You will need to slide the unit out of the compartment to gain access. On each corner under the A/C there is a bolt that will need to be unscrewed to lower the outboard edge of the "rack" the A/C sits in. You'll need a 3/4" socket. When those bots are unscrewed about 3/8" you can then slide the A/C unit out onto a "table" to support it, Hope all this helps you.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
AS others have said there are two screws accessible from under the coach. They are towards the rear of the coach. Also, open the compartment door just forward of the A/C door and there are three screws in the door jamb.
You will likely need to clean the evap coil alos. You will need to slide the unit out of the compartment to gain access. On each corner under the A/C there is a bolt that will need to be unscrewed to lower the outboard edge of the "rack" the A/C sits in. You'll need a 3/4" socket. When those bots are unscrewed about 3/8" you can then slide the A/C unit out onto a "table" to support it, Hope all this helps you.
BUT, before you do that, remove all the screws holding the plenum to the heatpump/air conditioner unit, otherwise it will be destroyed, and the only way to replace the plenum is to remove the rear cap.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

In the 14 years (2 units) we had basement air, we never pulled the unit . Just sprayed some simple green and hosed it out. Also cleaned the rad that way. we never had any problems with either in 125,000 miles. Good Luck