Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I know that this is an item much discussed in pervious posts but I would like to ask again if anyone has come up with a better (longer lasting) way to caulk the roof edge/gutter seam. Using Eternabond (which I know is an excellent product) is not an option for me as my coach has a full body paint job and I don't want to get into painting Eternabond.

The caulking recommended for my coach by Winnie and I confirmed this after talking with them today is called Stone Mason Gutter & Siding sealant made by U.S.E. Hickson in Cananda (p/n 094401-04-000). I contacted U.S.E. Hickson and they recommended using Kop-R-Lastic (also their product) as it is supposed to adhere better to fiberglass than their Gutter & Siding sealant and according to them are very similar products.
I purchased my coach new and have now had to re-caulk that gutter seam for the 4th time and it is getting old quick.

I have used ProFlex RV caulking on some other smaller areas of my coach and it sure seems to adhere well and has been made especially for RVs. Does anyone have any long term experience with this product or using it on the gutter seam or the Kop-R-Lastic for that matter.

I had thought of using 3M 5200 to seal the gutter but 3M recommended against it, as 5200 has not been formulated to be left out to UV exposure. Using it anyway would require me to paint it. The paint job would probably not hold up anyway with possible movement in the roof/gutter joint.

So, has anyone found a better solution yet?
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I know that this is an item much discussed in pervious posts but I would like to ask again if anyone has come up with a better (longer lasting) way to caulk the roof edge/gutter seam. Using Eternabond (which I know is an excellent product) is not an option for me as my coach has a full body paint job and I don't want to get into painting Eternabond.

The caulking recommended for my coach by Winnie and I confirmed this after talking with them today is called Stone Mason Gutter & Siding sealant made by U.S.E. Hickson in Cananda (p/n 094401-04-000). I contacted U.S.E. Hickson and they recommended using Kop-R-Lastic (also their product) as it is supposed to adhere better to fiberglass than their Gutter & Siding sealant and according to them are very similar products.
I purchased my coach new and have now had to re-caulk that gutter seam for the 4th time and it is getting old quick.

I have used ProFlex RV caulking on some other smaller areas of my coach and it sure seems to adhere well and has been made especially for RVs. Does anyone have any long term experience with this product or using it on the gutter seam or the Kop-R-Lastic for that matter.

I had thought of using 3M 5200 to seal the gutter but 3M recommended against it, as 5200 has not been formulated to be left out to UV exposure. Using it anyway would require me to paint it. The paint job would probably not hold up anyway with possible movement in the roof/gutter joint.

So, has anyone found a better solution yet?
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I used a product called WaterSeal which has amazing "sticky" properties. I installed it with a caulking gun last year and so far, it is doing great. I was able to smooth it with a finger and it seems to be ding a great job. You can paint it, but I simply covered the current caulk area (removing any loose, old stuff) and it worked out fine.

Good luck.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have asked myself that same question. Since my next coach when retiring in a few years will have full body paint. My present coach being white I used eternabond two years ago and have been pleased with results. I am eager to here what is working for those with full body paint also.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Have you used the Kop-R-Lastic. If so did it work. I also have read about eterna bond and 3m 5200 and Elastometric and Manus 75AM. We are in Canada now and I hear that Kop-R-Lastic is only available in Canada. We have a 04 Horizon 40AD.
The Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

When I asked the Winnebago factory what they used on my roof when I was there in 2008, they gave me a tube of Kop-R-Lastic. I used some of it to replace caulking in a couple of places about 9 months after they gave it to me and found it gets stiff pretty quick -- I wondered if that was due to the age. Most sealant does have a shelf-life. Other than that, it seemed to work great! I have wondered where I could get more -- maybe direct from Winnebago, or from Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Roof caulk

Talk about timing I just did mine today. I got the stuff, the right stuff I hope from the guys at Lightsinn Mtrs. They said 2 tubes so I got 3 in case. The driver side which is parked facing the north and out of the sun was completely compromised, the entire length just peeld out with no problem. The roof channel was wet and black. With two days of hot dry weather I tackled it, cleaned and scrubed it and let it dry. I read horror stories about sections of roof coming off going down the road. So....with a lot of sweat and up-down the laddar It's done. heres the strange part, the passenger side was completely intact, nice and dry and tight. I left well enough alone.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Harry: My paint job is charcoal, and greys. On the shoulder of the roof, above the gutter rail, the clear coat has flacked and fadded away, even after a warranty repaint the clear coat is gone. So I used the 2 inch eternal bond tape; black where my paint job is dark and the grey eternal bond where the grey colors are. If you are not looking up and specifically looking at the gutter the tape blends nicely and the roof is sealed tight. I recommend it.

I also used the 4 inch white on the front and rear cap seams. After 5 years my front cap sealant has dried and split one inch near the air horns. Also, check the sealant around other areas, in some areas the original sealant was almost chalk.

I consider this part of the maintenance of an RV. I realize that the roof is exposed to the sun and needs care.

While we were at GNR this year I would say on the majority of painted rigs that were 3-5 years old the paint above the gutter rails was faded and the clear coat was gone. I could tell, while being up on my roof, that most owners weren't aware of the faded paint or degrading sealant and very few had ever cleaned or waxed the roofs.

The roof and sealant(s) is an other area for a prospective buyers to inspect......
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I got the stuff, the right stuff I hope from the guys at Lightsinn Mtrs.
Tim -- tell us exactly what the label is, brand, name and description, etc (synthetic rubber, etc) -- or a picture would be great!!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Tim -- tell us exactly what the label is, brand, name and description, etc (synthetic rubber, etc) -- or a picture would be great!!
I used Manus-Bond #75-AM as mentioned in a previous post. It wasn't a pretty job but it's done.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl7GF476P1TVbl

This stuff might look better than the Eternabond. I haven't tried it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I should have added, Industrial Strength Elastomeric adhesive sealant.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
This is a timely post for my 2005 Journey 36G also. A couple of months ago I inspected the seals above the gutter rails and along the front and rear cap seams and found significant cracking in the elastomeric seal material. I called Winnebago and they recommended the same elastomeric sealant that Fossilhog used, i.e. Manus-Bond #75-AM. I picked up a tube of white Manus-Bond at the local Winnebago dealership and sealed the seams along the front and rear caps. The cracks above the gutter rails are deep but closed up because of thermal expansion from the summer heat, so I think I will wait until the weather cools off before working on them.

The old sealant is very difficult to remove. I had to cut it off with a utility blade along the seams of the front and rear cap seams. I figure that it is going to be a major, major job to remove the old sealant from the seams above the gutter rails (approximately 66 feet total). For those who have re-sealed the gutter rails, do you remove the old sealant or do you just fill the existing cracks with the new sealant?

Suncircles
2005 Winnebago Journey 36G with CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
do you remove the old sealant or do you just fill the existing cracks with the new sealant?
I have never done mine, but if I did I would do what I expect a dealer service tech to do when I take it to them...

Doing it right would require digging all the old sealant out, cleaning the surfaces with mineral spirits, letting it dry, then putting the new sealant in place. If only some areas are bad and others in good shape, it is perfectly acceptable to remove and replace only the bad sections.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I found a way to remove the old caluk. What I do is get a small section peeled up then grasp it and streatch it keeping it close to the gutter and it starts coming right up. I am pulling it in the direction that I remove it from. Basicly I am streatching it like a rubberband.
I then placed 3m 5200 in the gap after cleaning. I have the gold/brown full body paint. I used black thinking you wouldn't see it. Well I put too much in the space and then it oozed out and required cleaning to make it ok to look at.
I have the other side to do yet
I have a 2004 Journey 36G

Wife ( real lovely!), 3 Kids, 90 lbs Golden Retriever
OutBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I have never done mine, but if I did I would do what I expect a dealer service tech to do when I take it to them...

Doing it right would require digging all the old sealant out, cleaning the surfaces with mineral spirits, letting it dry, then putting the new sealant in place. If only some areas are bad and others in good shape, it is perfectly acceptable to remove and replace only the bad sections.

Paul, to each his own, but to me "doing it right" would include doing the entire job at once. My 04 Adv. only had a few "soft" places, but once you assemble the stuff to do it, why not do it and be done with it for several years. The caulk on my "03 build, 04", made it 5.5 years, and only about 2 feet of it had failed..Get all your needed tools, CORRECT caulk, GOOD caulking gun, cleaners,( alcohol) new stiff toothbrush, small screwdriver to help remove small shreds of old caulk, sharp knife ( I used a 2.0 " blade pocket knife, very sharp) or box cutter, paper towels or rags, into a 5 gal bucket. If you have access to a good compressed air source, attach a rope to nozzle, another to the bucket handle, throw the rope ends onto the roof. When you get onto the roof, pull the bucket and nozzle up, Tie the compressed air nozzle to something. or it will answer gravitys call, and leave you.. Leaning the sharp edge of the knife/cutter against the edge(s) of the moulding, make 2 parallel cuts, one on each edge, ( I cut about 2-3' at a time), deep enough to get thru the bottom of the caulk, and pulling out the loose calking, you can strip long stringers of old calk at a time.. remove ALL you can. Brush the open channel very clean, using alcohol, get everything out of the channel you can..blow dry,( must be completely clean and dry for new caulk to adhear) re caulk and you are done. TIP, unless you are an accomplised ( I'm not) caulker, use a smaller, rather than larger caulk tube opening, and move slower. Dont forget to untie the rope to the nozzle, or your neighbors will laugh at you...My 33' took 1 1/2 hours, start to finish, Note, dont fall off of the roof or it will take longer...this is not the huge hassle its made out to be, dont put it off, or they are going to laugh when you return home minus part of your roof too. Neighbors are like that......rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
The caulk on my "03 build, 04", made it 5.5 years
My "02 build, 03" has had the caulk totally redone two or three times, and partially at least once, in that same time period!!!