Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How to access underside of roof for radio antenna?

I was removing a damaged front radio antenna on the roof and the antenna cable fell inside the roof cavity. The cable hole is very small (just big enough for the cable) so fishing out the cable from the roof is impossible without enlarging the hole.
How do I access the underside of the roof? I don't see how this can be done, except by maybe removing the wood strip on the ceiling (see photo), which would hopeful allow me to remove a ceiling panel.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160704_161226.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	132147  
Old 07-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't know the answer to your question, but would something like this allow you to get it from the top?
https://www.zoro.com/general-mechani...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

antenna base

will the antenna base cover a slightly larger hole, if so, drill the

next size hole and fish it out, avoid pulling a panel if you can help it.

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but would something like this allow you to get it from the top?
https://www.zoro.com/general-mechani...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
Good idea, but as I mentioned, the hole is only about 1/4" in diameter, so I can't use any sort of tool to retrieve the cable without enlarging the hole -- which I may have to do as a last resort.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We always drilled a 3/4 hole in the roof. That allows enough room to use a light and long nose pliers to retrieve the dropped lead. Make a patch out of aluminum and screw it down and cover in sealent.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If your antenna breaks, you can likely just replace the broken top section by removing the screw in the swivel base attached to the top. Then just replace the top section. No risk of losing the cable. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the advice Bob, but the antenna broke at the swivel base (with a little help). The rabbit cable has already disappeared down the hole. The only suggestions I am getting is to drill a bigger hole and fish out the cable. I was hoping that the underside of the roof was reasonably accessible.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If the fitting on the end is metallic, you might try a pen type magnet to see if you can get it close enough to grab. Hate to drill hole in the roof, Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

By mistake I found that the cabinet right above my door had a false side that came out fairly easily by removing a small piece of trim. After removing the panel I could access the base of the antenna. My purpose was to check the connection and whether the plate was grounded.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
By mistake I found that the cabinet right above my door had a false side that came out fairly easily by removing a small piece of trim. After removing the panel I could access the base of the antenna. My purpose was to check the connection and whether the plate was grounded.
OK, I'll keep checking for hidden doors.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

On my Vista the antenna is mounted on top of the fiberglass front cap, and the underside of the fiberglass front cap can be accessed by removing the trim panels inside the cabinets in front of your coach. Might try that next. The interior panels behind the front cap are part of a sandwich of roof + rigid insulation + interior panels that are glued it would be impossible for you to get access from below without doing something that will end up being very un-attractive.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks -- I will continue my search for a secret access panel in the cabinets.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

When I installed my cell phone booster, there was solid Styrofoam under the roof.
I think your ant is more forward than where I drilled.
You might try to remove a back panel from the front overhead cabinet and use a mirror to see if there is access. You might get lucky.

Dan
Old 07-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We had a water leak and the water dripped down the wood trim. We removed the wood trim and found that the trim connects the 2 pieces of roof material, and were able to bend enough out of the way to see inside the void. We found the water leaking thru the Satellite antenna. There was plenty of room to reach inside and if yours is similar to the journey, you should be able to get in there.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid1 View Post
We had a water leak and the water dripped down the wood trim. We removed the wood trim and found that the trim connects the 2 pieces of roof material, and were able to bend enough out of the way to see inside the void. We found the water leaking thru the Satellite antenna. There was plenty of room to reach inside and if yours is similar to the journey, you should be able to get in there.
Thanks -- that's very positive news.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Panels

We found the back and top of the cabinet were several pieces of paneling 1/8" thick held in by a couple of staples. All most if they were made for easy removal. If you damage them they are hidden from view any way. With a mirror and flashlight we found the cable that was loose.
stuck in first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:56 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I'll look next time I am at the MH. It is in an off-site storage facility.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Good idea, but as I mentioned, the hole is only about 1/4" in diameter, so I can't use any sort of tool to retrieve the cable without enlarging the hole -- which I may have to do as a last resort.
Algonquin
I would enlarge the hole rather than risk damaging that perfectly good ceiling.
(If a roof patch is necessary nobody important will see it).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Don't mess with the interior ceiling. It is a one piece structure from front to rear. The ceiling panels are glued and then pressed,if you pull on it you will never be able to get it back.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:32 PM   #20

On mine, the front cabinets are lined with that gray felt type wood backed paneling. A screw gun (a little tough to find the screws - have to feel) and both the top back and sides came out exposing the entire nose up there. I had access to the radio antennas, as well as the dome antenna (which is why I was up there).

Your cabinet arrangement doesn't look quite the same, but hopefully lining comes out like mine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pics at purchase-174.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	132849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pics at purchase-118.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	132850  

Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags