Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2015, 12:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How Much Sealant to Order for Roof to Sidewall?

Looking at the area where many have discussed before, that is between the side wall and gutter. Mine is either seriously cracked or not holding at all in many places behind the awning, and holding still well on much of the drivers side.

My original thought was to use Dicor Non-Sag 551LST in Grey and maybe either black or grey 2" Eternabond over that as done by several posters. Two inch black and grey depending on where on my roof may not be too bad, but I would hate to try and find out the hard way that it looks ugly.

In researching I have seen several products being used but I am leaning towards the Winnebago part number 094401-04-000 which is recommended for painted areas. Since I have a full body paint, I don't want to use something that stands out and looks bad.

It is difficult to find this stuff and yet it is widely available in Canada. I have discovered that it is made by Henry Company and called them, but they have nothing that is the same in the US. I asked about 212 All Purpose Crystal Clear Sealant and they said it is not the same.

So if buying 094401-04-000 which is Stone Mason Gutter and Siding Sealant at $20 a tube from Lichtsinn, I don't want to order more than I need - siding on having a enough maybe one extra tube.

Have you done this? How many tubes does it take? Should I just go the Dicor and Eternabond route? This is a tempting route to take as Eternabond will not ever allow it to leak there but its also never coming off.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I did my roof seams this spring. My MH is 33' long. About 50' of the roof seam was cleaned and re-caulked. 2 tubes would have been enough. I re-caulked some other areas and had to open the 3rd tube that I bought.

I used the caulk recommended by Winnebago for my MH. It was Manus-Bond Urethane sealant and sold by Winnebago Outdoors for $9.75 / tube plus shipping.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

It tooks a bit more than one tube to do one full side of my 2005 Vectra. So I would recommend three tubes to do both sides completely.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
I did my roof seams this spring. My MH is 33' long. About 50' of the roof seam was cleaned and re-caulked. 2 tubes would have been enough. I re-caulked some other areas and had to open the 3rd tube that I bought.

I used the caulk recommended by Winnebago for my MH. It was Manus-Bond Urethane sealant and sold by Winnebago Outdoors for $9.75 / tube plus shipping.
Thanks, that's good info. So 3 tubes will be more than enough.

The Manus 75-AM is also recommended for areas that are not painted on my rig. From my sealant call out "Use sealant 094401-04-000 on components that fall into painted areas".
Old 10-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
It tooks a bit more than one tube to do one full side of my 2005 Vectra. So I would recommend three tubes to do both sides completely.
Thanks, what product did you use and do you have full body paint?
Old 10-20-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Thanks, what product did you use and do you have full body paint?
Yes, I have full body paint. I used the Clear Henry 212 several years ago and it's doing fine so far...

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

What about Pro Flex RV Sealant?

The description of the product seems like it is just the right product, flexible, good for joint movement, adheres to fiberglass and aluminum and made for RV use. But I am not sure if Eternabond would stick to it should I change to that in the future.

Tags
roof, seal