Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Just wondering whether it's just me or my RV which is a '06 Adventurer 38T W24 8.1 Chevy. I love driving my RV however I find I can only drive for about 5-7hrs in a day without being totally exhausted. Are diesels that much more comfortable a drive and sit on the road better? My RV drives nice but I would think that at age 40 I could drive longer than this. Got stuck on I-95 around South Philly cutting across from the 476 to 1 in Delaware and a 7-8hr drive turned into an ugly 12hr one!!! (never again)

What can you handle in a days drive? Are you driving diesel or gas? (assumption is air ride provides much more comfort??) This might push me more towards diesel because we plan on touring after this contract is up and I want to be comfortable!

PS - Looking at Tour/Ellipse 40TD, possibly Vectra 40TD or Newmar Dutchstar (like the 4320).

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just wondering whether it's just me or my RV which is a '06 Adventurer 38T W24 8.1 Chevy. I love driving my RV however I find I can only drive for about 5-7hrs in a day without being totally exhausted. Are diesels that much more comfortable a drive and sit on the road better? My RV drives nice but I would think that at age 40 I could drive longer than this. Got stuck on I-95 around South Philly cutting across from the 476 to 1 in Delaware and a 7-8hr drive turned into an ugly 12hr one!!! (never again)

What can you handle in a days drive? Are you driving diesel or gas? (assumption is air ride provides much more comfort??) This might push me more towards diesel because we plan on touring after this contract is up and I want to be comfortable!

PS - Looking at Tour/Ellipse 40TD, possibly Vectra 40TD or Newmar Dutchstar (like the 4320).

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I drove from NY to FL in a straight shot- with a 5 hr breakdown and only a 1 hr nap. (We had to catch a cruise)! My 34 ft '84 Winnebago Chieftain sounds like an M1 Tank and bounces like a California earthquake! I was more mentally shot than physically- escpescially driving dark roads in traffic while the kids had the lights on in the back. It was stressful watching traffic all around. Now I'm shopping for a diesel...
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #4
doc
Winnebago Owner

Sort of a complicated question isn't it? Road conditions, traffic conditions, weather, time of year - these all play a role in how comfortable it is to drive. I have done a 12 hour stretch and actually feel pretty good. I have also done 6 hours and be ready to collapse when we finally pulled over.
Rain downpours seem to bother me the most. Really windy conditions, i.e Montana mountains in the spring, wear me down as well.

Our most recent marathon trip started in Galesburg, Ill and ended up near Athens, Ga (818 miles) and I was fine. This was a Sunday, light traffic (even in Atlanta) good weather and good roads.
As one of my old friends used to say to every question, "it all depends".
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We tend ro run no longer than 200-250 miles/day when moving. This usually translates to 4-5 hours with rest stops,etc. Previous coach was 96 Vectra (Gasser) with air ride but compared to current diesel was much more fatiguing to drive. With either coach the fatigue factor seems to be more mental than physical, I suppose because of the concentration required to safely maneuver down the highways.

I'm sure that I could gut out a 9-10 hour drive but would be wasted at the end of the day so the 4-5 hours fits me better. How about others??

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I had some driving problems when I first got my motorhome. Here is the order of fixes:

1) Swapped out OEM shocks for Bilsteins paid for by Newmar as Bilsteins were std on 04.
2) Added a rear DIY trac bar.
3) Added UltraPower ECM upgrade
3) Added Steer Safe
4) Added UltraTrac front trac bar. Removed rear DIY trac bar and replaced it with UltraTrac.
5) Replaced front shocks with Koni FSD's

I drive 6-8 hours and I am not tired, no more 18 wheeler push and almost 0 wheel correction.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Agree with what others have said about the many variables in the equation. I've driven 12 hours and not felt exhausted (good weather, no wind or rain)...tired and ready to shower, eat and sleep but not overly tired.

We normally drive 300 or so miles per day depending on where we need/want to be. My DW has rheumatoid arthritis and gets tired riding before I get tired of driving.

Improvements to my current rig do make a difference and include:

1. Goodyear G670 tires
2. Safe-t-Steer steering stabilizer
3. Koni Shocks
4. Super Steer ride control valves (the best addition overall).

If you have to wrestle the rig in strong crosswinds or drive in otherwise highly stressful situations, I think that saps your mental and physical energy.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I would again agree with all the rest, mostly it has to do with the conditions, winds, hills, curves, etc... I would say it also has to do with how much driving you've done. We recently completed a 3 week trip, at the beginning I could go all day, 8 or 9 hours a day without a problem. By the end of the trip, I didn't want to see more than about 5 hours a day. All that said, I've never driven a gasser, we have a 2007 Journey, but I feel like I could drive it just as long as I could drive my car, it's really no more stressful (except for in windy, curvey, or hilly conditions). Hope that helps some.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Our first RV was a 2003 Suncruiser 33V/Workhorse. While not bad, you did feel it at the end of the day. Our 2004 Allegro Bus 40DP/Freightliner did make a huge difference. The 2007 42QRP is even better because of the tag axle.

So, yes, under equal conditions you will be more comfortable in a diesel pusher because of the air-ride suspension. However, I did do 600 mile per day drives in all of them. It's doable but I can drive 800 miles with a diesel pusher and not be beat whereas you'd better be parked the next day if you drive that much with a gasser. Most daily drives are now in the 400+ mile range.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

when we had our Adventurer 32 V Ford with Safety Plus, my husband could drive 6-10 hours a day and was exhausted. He doesn't get tired with the diesel, he says he doesn't have to correct the wheel as much.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Kyle - Are you aware of the new steering system called, of all things, Comfort Drive? I think it's made by TRW and Newmar has an exclusive through the '08 model year. If you're not familiar with it, check the Newmar web site - sounds like just what you need to reduce the fatigue. It may be a lot of hype, but from what I'm reading from Newmar owners, it's revolutionary...

If I HAD to buy a new diesel today, I think it would have to be a Newmar just because of the Comfort Drive system. If you like the Winne line better and can wait for the '09s, Winnie will probably have it.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I like to drive about 8 hours. DW likes to drive so when we leave Wis in winter for the south we will drive about 12 hours to find campgrounds open. First day only.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

After a few addons drives like a dream. Put it in CC and away we go for 7-8 hours and the wife gets tired of sleeping its such a cruise.
Only thing that gets me is parked on tar-mack waiting for traffic to move on RT-80
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I drive a stock F-53 chassis and 8-9 hours is a comfortable drive day for me. That is unless there is an overabundance of truck traffic consisting of cowboys or severe weather. Then we get off road at about 350 miles mark. I seldom exceed 60 mph and rarely take breaks, we eat lunch on the move. I used to drive well up into the 70 mph range and was beat to death in 6 hours.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:17 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

When your driving someplace in your motorhome your supposed to be enjoying yourself. If your pushing yourself beyond your limits pull over and camp early. After all camping is part of the fun of owning a motorhome. We usually try to be in camp by 2:00pm to 3:00pm. Then we can enjoy the rest of the day relaxing.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have a rig very similar to yours. We drive about 300-350 miles at 55-60 miles per hour. As others have said, a lot depends on the conditions. I want to enjoy the ride, so I stop for lunch at a rest stop and take a break every couple of hours. At the end of the day, I am a little tired but ready to go the next day with plenty of energy.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Kyle,
We just returned from a 4 week, 6100 mile trip from Indiana to Washington, Oregon, California and back. I covered 500 miles a day for 5 days on the way out. We stopped for a couple of days at Rapid City to sightsee which was a nice break. On the trip home I had days of 650, 500, and 400 miles broken up by a couple of shorter days. Before I added a rear track bar, Tru-Center and the Koni's I don't think I could have been comfortable covering those kinds of miles a day. I am going to add a front track-bar before the next long trip as I still feel a very slight push in the front when semi's pass at high speeds. It's not too bad, but I'm going to make my own to see if that eliminates the push. After the changes there is very little correction that was constant before.
Of course driving conditions have a great effect also. I didn't cover those kinds of miles in the Rockies or the wine country's curvy roads or in a driving rain.

Good luck with your future trips,
Dave
Old 08-09-2007, 04:06 AM   #18

I drove 12 hour days going to Orlando this Summer, and that was no problem at all. There was one day where I drove over 900 miles in a day....I was tired but it was still no problem.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

On days that we travel, we like to be on the road by 9:30 and like to be parked by 2:00 pm. I am sure that not having to work has something to do with the short driving times.

How many of you folks that are driving up to 6 or more hours a day are retired, and if retired why the rush?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:28 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Our ideal drive time is from 10am to 4pm when in transit. There have been some 10 hour days along the way, and we were no worse for the wear. This was when we needed to get from one location directly to another (for a family reunion).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote