Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How level do I need to be?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and looking for some advice. I have a 2013 Winnebago Vista 27N. I love the leveling system but not sure how level I really need to be. Previously, I had 5th wheels so leveling was done with a hand-held level as best I could get it - which I'm sure wasn't perfect. Most campsites I have been in with the Vista, I have been able to level perfectly. However, on vacation this year, my site wasn't level and the front tires were off the ground to get level. I ultimately used some blocks under the front tires to raise them up a bit and then leveled - which did work. My question is - before leveling my system showed that I was 1.7 degrees off. That doesn't seem like a lot and it felt level inside. I'm just wondering if I really need to level perfectly and if there are any guidelines to leveling a MH. I see many pull in and don't even bother to drop the levelers so maybe I'm worrying needlessly.

June
jewallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewallace View Post
...I'm just wondering if I really need to level perfectly and if there are any guidelines to leveling a MH. I see many pull in and don't even bother to drop the levelers so maybe I'm worrying needlessly.

June
nope. if the human beings inside the RV are comfortable (not rolling off the bed or feeling like you're walking up or downhill inside the RV) then the fridge will be happy and if you have a residential fridge then no one needs to be happy except the humans.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I like to be as level as possible, I don't like my doors not staying where I put them and the feeling of going uphill or downhill no matter how slight. It is not very hard to achieve but I always put wheels on blocks if needed and never have them off the ground. I try to get the coach as level as possible without the use of the jacks to begin with and fine tune with jacks. The jacks to me are the main stability of the coach so when people walk around inside the coach stays stable.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Check your refrigerator spec. That is the most sensitive device. A serious off level condition can also be a problem when cooking. Other than that I try to keep my feet lower than my head. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just my experience with numerous RV's over the years, but the main reason I fuss over leveling is the gas absorption refrigerator installed in most RV's I've owned.

These things need to be real close to level to operate properly and to keep them from self-destructing which can cause serious problems. For example, Norcold states that their unit should be level within 3 degrees side-to-side and 6 degress front to back. Just me, but I level the fridge....and everything else pretty much takes care of itself. When travelling, leveling and cooling perfomance is not an issue due to the operational nature of these things. IMO, folks that don't bother about leveling their fridge properly are usually those that complain about cooling performance or have premature cooling unit issues down the road. It may take a few minutes more to do it right, but it is time well spent. Just MO.....
Old 07-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Always level our Class A

We have always had auto levelers so it is easy to level our Class A and always level when we stay. Now that we have slides (3), we ALWAYS level first to protect our slides; and then put the slides out. And when leaving, we pull the slides in and then jacks up. We also like the doors to stay open and things not rolling around on counters so we level. We have a residential frig this time. We NEVER level with wheels off the ground; we will change campsites if needed! We don't care that others don't level, we just have always taken excellent care of our MH and one way is to LEVEL!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When we got our 32' Georgetown, there were no level indicators anywhere with view of the driver's seat. I bought two of the el-cheapo stick-on ones.With the RV on our driveway (which slopes maybe 6" in 25'), I put a carpenter's level in the bottom of the fridge and got the rig levelled to within 1/10 of a bubble in both fore/aft and side to side.

I then stuck the two level, with the bubble showing level, one on the lower edge of the central TV cabinet and the other on the side window ahead of the driver's door. Although our leveler system had an auto mode, I didn't care for the way it worked. Most times it lifted the RV too high. with the two small levels, it was as quick to do the job manually.

Our rig had four jacks which always worked in pairs.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
The best as few members wrote, is to level manually even if you have "auto leveling option" ! Try to get your RV as level as possible and then lower your hydraulic jacks just to stiffen your suspension.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Your owners manual might shed some light on leveling. Typically if you get one of those little round bubble levels available everywhere and place in on a rack or bottom shelf of the refer and most of the bubble is in the circle you will be fine.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

There are 2 reasons to be as level as possible, the RV fridge and the slideouts. The RV fridge (gas absorption) needs to be as level as possible and the chassis needs to be as straight as possible in order to extend and retract the slides correctly. If the chassis is twisted you can cause damage to the slideouts which may ruin you vacation if it doesn't come out or go in correctly. The lodger the slide the worse it its.

Get yourself a bubble level or as I have an electronic one (I had it in the 5th wheel) and check your level prior to putting out the slides.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

:welcome:

I see your already getting all the advice , you need , so nothing I can add there.

Just wanted to say , Hi
Old 07-27-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
nope. if the human beings inside the RV are comfortable (not rolling off the bed or feeling like you're walking up or downhill inside the RV) then the fridge will be happy and if you have a residential fridge then no one needs to be happy except the humans.
Yep, this is the correct answer with the newer (than about 2000) refers.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I put a level on the bottom of the fridge freezer. We level the whole planet to the fridge. The 17 year old fridge causes NO issues and it runs 31 degrees on setting of 3 (of 9). Have a fun and fulfilling life.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks!

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I did note that one of you mentioned that you don't use the auto leveling. Neither do I as it always put the coach way higher than it needed to be. I have been using the manual level. I think I was just being obsessive since I have a little light to tell me when I'm level vs my old trusty bubble. In the instance I mentioned where I was not level, the bubble level in the fridge was 90 percent in the circle so I was probably fine. Just new to a MH and its gadgets after having 6 5th wheels. Thanks again. This is a great forum!

June
jewallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewallace View Post
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I did note that one of you mentioned that you don't use the auto leveling. Neither do I as it always put the coach way higher than it needed to be. I have been using the manual level. I think I was just being obsessive since I have a little light to tell me when I'm level vs my old trusty bubble. In the instance I mentioned where I was not level, the bubble level in the fridge was 90 percent in the circle so I was probably fine. Just new to a MH and its gadgets after having 6 5th wheels. Thanks again. This is a great forum!

June
My auto leveling system sucked too when I first bought the coach. Then I read in the manual how to calibrate the whole system which I did and now it works perfectly. I do not think it was ever calibrated to begin with which does not surprise me.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I like to be as level as possible, I don't like my doors not staying where I put them and the feeling of going uphill or downhill no matter how slight. It is not very hard to achieve but I always put wheels on blocks if needed and never have them off the ground. I try to get the coach as level as possible without the use of the jacks to begin with and fine tune with jacks. The jacks to me are the main stability of the coach so when people walk around inside the coach stays stable.
Outstanding answer! And yes, it's not hard at all to level a coach to be basically DEAD LEVEL. The only reason you see folks not using the levelers after they've pulled into a campsite is because they more or less, lazy. I mean, for the most part, how hard is it to push a button? Driving onto a set of blocks or ramps is simple and easy. That way, the frame of the coach, AND THE BODY doesn't get any extra strain on it. And, like the above quote states, you use the jacks for "fine tuning".

Your coach is level, ALL your tires and wheels are on the ground or ramps and, the jacks are down so, you have maximum stability and you've not over worked or, over-extended the jacks.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Outstanding answer! And yes, it's not hard at all to level a coach to be basically DEAD LEVEL. The only reason you see folks not using the levelers after they've pulled into a campsite is because they more or less, lazy. I mean, for the most part, how hard is it to push a button? Driving onto a set of blocks or ramps is simple and easy. That way, the frame of the coach, AND THE BODY doesn't get any extra strain on it. And, like the above quote states, you use the jacks for "fine tuning".

Your coach is level, ALL your tires and wheels are on the ground or ramps and, the jacks are down so, you have maximum stability and you've not over worked or, over-extended the jacks.
Scott
We found the system that Winnebago installed to work on a hit and miss basis in the "one button operation". Most of the times a wheel will be off the ground and there is no "lower this to level" just a "raise even higher" attitude in the programming - or the even better option of "retract". So in a simple word the system Winnebago installed is a step above junk grade.

If we park for a day or two there is no need to level more than with the bricks under the tires. All that is needed is a bit more stabilization functionality. Our previous Solera had neither and it wasn't a problem at all.

Doing the operation manually is the only way the system works for us. Maybe there are better systems installed on other RVs - but not in our Brave.

Just my 2 cents,
Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
We found the system that Winnebago installed to work on a hit and miss basis in the "one button operation". Most of the times a wheel will be off the ground and there is no "lower this to level" just a "raise even higher" attitude in the programming - or the even better option of "retract". So in a simple word the system Winnebago installed is a step above junk grade.

If we park for a day or two there is no need to level more than with the bricks under the tires. All that is needed is a bit more stabilization functionality. Our previous Solera had neither and it wasn't a problem at all.

Doing the operation manually is the only way the system works for us. Maybe there are better systems installed on other RVs - but not in our Brave.

Just my 2 cents,
Reiner
I do not know what kind of system you have in your Brave but like I mentioned above perhaps you can re calibrate yours to work correctly. I did and it now works perfect every time and it extends the jacks minimally.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

My new 2015 32 foot Cambria seems to work very well too. It sometimes seems to overdo the job but I am very satisfied with it overall. I did have one jack that was leaking and WBG replaced it. I assumed things would have to be recalibrated but when the new jack went on, it worked with no adjustments.

I might ought to worry about my frig but my worries are keeping the thing level so the slides don't bind. My coach has 3 slides and by running the engine and trying to be level I have had absolutely no issues with the slides.
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:55 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post

Scott
Or it could be that we just don't see a big deal in being perfectly level.

FWIW just for grins I ran some numbers. If I am doing it correctly 1 deg off level is around 3.5 inches on a 220 inch wheel base. We are seldom in a place that far off level.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote