Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How is RG6 Winegard OTA Crank Up Cable Secured in roof?

My OTA Winegard Antenna Cable has a break in the line some where as it does not read 12 volts at the Antenna head from the Box Of Many Buttons (BOMB).

How is it secured in the channel as I cannot get the cable to move. Also, is the Antenna using one long Cable or is there a connection in the channel for installation of the Winegard Antenna?

Thanks!
LPD218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPD218 View Post
My OTA Winegard Antenna Cable has a break in the line some where as it does not read 12 volts at the Antenna head from the Box Of Many Buttons (BOMB).

How is it secured in the channel as I cannot get the cable to move. Also, is the Antenna using one long Cable or is there a connection in the channel for installation of the Winegard Antenna?

Thanks!
Look for a barrel around the base plate. I've seen moisture get in those and corrode the center conductor.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Jeff,

Thanks!

I got to thinking that it was windy here in ARizona and the Antenna quit right after. I’m thinking I may try to splice in above the base where the cable is exposed as that could be where the break is. There was a YouTube video where the same thing happened to another guy.

If not, then onto Plan B.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Well, Plan A did not work. I worked my way down the mast in 6 inch chunks and the break is somewhere inside the roof area. It would be easy to run a new cable if I could get the old one to budge.

This will have to wait until I get home at the end of March. Or, Plan C is to get a 25 foot RG6 Cable, run it out a window and up to the top of the roof, and connect it that way.

Dave T.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Take the base apart and see if the barrel is in there. Can you determine it's open or shorted? Worst comes to worst you can always run it in a channel on the roof and drop down into the cabinet. If you're in Q, there are plenty of places to find RG6 & connectors around here.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Jeff,

Thanks. I am going to wait until I get home in March to tackle this. I have a small home antenna connected and get about 1/3rd of the channels. As long as I can get NBC for the Olympics, we are good as far as the wife is concerned.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

In my '97 Adventurer 34 I found that besides the barrel connector passing through the roof, there is another barrel in a cabinet just behind the entry door, a short (1-2 feet) intermediate cable coming out of the ceiling between the antenna base and the cable running back through the ceiling forward to the power supply plate.

I have 2 more cable ends in the front and rear of the RV that are a mystery to me but I'll save that for my own question thread later.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof