Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

How does the furnace work?

We've had this Minnie Winnie about a month. Have not actually used it since we brought it home. Just getting the list together of things we'll need and so forth.
This morning when Deb took the dog out she finds something running.
Its the furnace, its nice and warm inside the MH. This is something we have not touched.......... actually don't know how yet. I thought the LP was off. The book doesn't say much about it at all. Where is the thermostat, etc.?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Should be a thermostat on the wall somewhere in the motorhome. If the LP was really off, the furnace blower would run but only blow cold air. If it was warm in the rig, your LP source must be on.

Does you roof top AC unit have a heat strip or is it a heat pump? If you were plugging into shore power (electric) and you have a heat pump AC unit, that may have been running and keeping the coach warm.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

RV thermostats in general are different from thermostats inside your house in that they all have an OFF position ... when you don't want your furnace OR AC to run switch the thermostat to OFF ... otherwise as soon as the temperature goes past the set temperature the furnace (or AC) will start.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
RV thermostats in general are different from thermostats inside your house in that they all have an OFF position ... when you don't want your furnace OR AC to run switch the thermostat to OFF ... otherwise as soon as the temperature goes past the set temperature the furnace (or AC) will start.
Thank you for the reply. Its good to learn that the thermostat operates both the roof air and the furnace. Had no idea, as we have not been able to get the roof air to work.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to BlueLine
How's it work

I can only help from what I have, a 99 Adventurer 34V. I have 2 thermostats, both are Coleman. The main thermostat is located on what I call the hall wall between the main living space and the bedroom. It's on the bathroom side near the forward corner. The main thermostat is a dual thermostat in that it controls both the heat and air and it indicates such,and it does have an "OFF" position and thermostatic slide setting. The second thermostat is located in the forward bedroom wall, right side. This thermostat is only controls the overhead AC unit in the bedroom. Both thermostats are Light tan or neutral colored. The main thermostat at has a selector for HEAT or COOL. To make the furnace operate place in the HEAT position and set the temperature slide above ambient room temperature. You will hear the furnace blower cut on immediately, it's purging the burner chamber, within a minute or so you will hear the furnace make a rumbling sound when the burner ignites, and you should have instant heat at the floor registers. Make sure ALL of your floor registers are fully open and unobstructed, and the Intake Air which is normally in the bathroom is clear and open. Most likely if your furnace came on in your absence it was because it was set to heat and the temp set was above ambient temp. and the LP shut off valve was open. The Main shut off valve is in line and just aft of your supply tank which is located in the forward basement compartment right behind and below the driver's seat.( The most forward compartment on the left side). Some units may have a shutoff valve at or near the furnace which is located in the rear left side of the coach. You can locate the furnace by it's tell tail dual over and under intake and exhaust ports on the exterior of the coach.
If you haven't found one yet I can e-mail you a copy of Winnebago's Instructions for Furnace heat. One last caution, make sure your CO2 and Smoke alarms are functional. It's unnerving to know that your literally sleeping on top of the furnace. I also keep the bedroom windows open just a Tad. An annual inspection and operational check is a highly recommended. Sounds like you've already completed the operational check.
Also I need to mention if you slide your thermostat below cabin temperature or select OFF on your heat while it's running, there will be a delay before the furnace shuts down. The furnace is designed as a safety measure to cool the burner chamber prior to total shutdown.
Also most likely your roof AC was not working because you had heat selected on your thermostat
BlueLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #6

When you find your thermostat For the furnace. Look at real carefully On the extreem Left There should Ingraved in the dial next to the heat settingsThe words OFF; Push the leaver to that setting. All should be good; As for shutting the LP; off ; I have never shut mine off.. Altho They should/need to turned off in/on Tunnels. On fairys. When filling; And there are others. Even when traveling down the freeway. Each of us lives our lives where we are the happyest , That is all that matters to each his own.. I know I strayed from the origenal post; But you don't hyave to read it;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Not sure what year and model you have but if you go to the Winnebago site they have a ton of info available:

www.winnebago.com

Can find owners manuals and wiring/plumbing diagrams etc.

Good luck and happy camping!!!

Tags
furnace