Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Unhappy How Does a Windshield Just Break - Not Moving

I went out this afternoon to check my windshield wipers and replace one of the fluid hoses. I pulled the windshield cover off and saw a big foot long crack.

How does this happen when it is sitting in a driveway facing my backyard without street or any other kind of traffic? On top of that it has a nice snap on cover that should protect it from a rocks or what not.

I have not looked closely at the windshield for a couple weeks, but it has been covered non stop.

We did have a thunderstorm with some pea sized hail yesterday, but I don't see how that would have done it, especially with the cover on it.

Any ideas? Temperature changes, rain any ideas?

Anyone know what it might cost for a split screen windshield? My deductible is $500, so I will probably be footing the bill.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Stress transferred to the glass from the frame. The glass can take it for a while then it gives way. Might have been installed wrong, maybe the frame was twisted slightly or someone just held their mouth wrong!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Many things can stress the windshield. Anything that twists the frame, such as Improper sequence of leveling, jacking improperly, etc. Just a small hit from a stone, etc. can be the start of a crack the gets bigger with time.

Just so you are aware: Winnebago has a problem on many models with rust around the windshield frame. Make sure it is fully inspected when the glass is out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Depending on your insurance, you may want to find a big crack in the other side also. It's easier to replace both sides and check for rust issues with both out than replacing one side and then the next week replacing the other.
That's what I did on my previous coach due to a suggestion from the glass installer. Oh yeah mine cost me $50 to get them replaced
Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Depending on your insurance, you may want to find a big crack in the other side also. It's easier to replace both sides and check for rust issues with both out than replacing one side and then the next week replacing the other.
That's what I did on my previous coach due to a suggestion from the glass installer. Oh yeah mine cost me $50 to get them replaced
It's amazing how both sides sometime break at about the same time!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Could be a stress crack. But here's another thought....an old tried and true method to determine if it is a stress crack. Take a ballpoint pen or a pencil and run it inside and along the entire length of the crack....from one end to the other. If the pen/pencil stops anywhere along the crack, take a close look at what stopped it. You will likely find a small stone chip at that point....and it can be very small. Those little chips can and do weaken glass in some cases, depending on where the rock/debri hit it. And the normal heating/cooling cycles over time can cause the glass to eventually crack because of it. Have seen it many times, even on a couple of my own vehicles over the years. Some windshields are actually designed to become stressed members of that frontal windshield area, especially on newer vehicles....and that also adds to the problem. It is not uncommon at all on convertibles. FWIW....

Please let us know what you find out....thanks!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Most likely due to rust on frame behind windshield, not uncommon with Winnebago coaches. We had 02 Journey and rusted frame pushed out on glass, cracking it from top down. Do a search on this forum for rusted windshield frame and read many, many posts.

Glass will need to be removed, deal with rust, new glass. Make sure you take it to someone with the capability to effectively deal with the rust, which may require grinding, maybe some welding, and most certainly using a good rust abatement chemical like POR 15, Rust Seal, or something equivalent.

What happens is dirt and moisture gets behind that rubber trim at the top, and the wet grime sits on the metal frame. It eats the frame away. When the work is done, I recommend you put some good caulk/sealant behind the rubber trim to keep stuff from getting behind it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

So I was looking at the driver's side window to see if there was more damage under the center seal. I saw a crack and pushed on it slightly and it cracked up through the two rock chips and several inches up the window.

So I doubt it would have survived even a few miles of driving. Since there were two rock chips and this crack, I'm thinking both sides were damaged in a freeway jaunt a couple months ago where a big rig passed me while I was doing 65 mph in the right lane. His speed limit was 55 and right lane restricted except for passing which he did with high speed and a hail of rocks.

So even though I did not notice the damage then, it has been covered since that evening and must have grown in size with the temperature change.

There is also some rust under the center seam at the base of the window, which is the focal point of the damage. It may be a combination of the FOD, rust and temperature change from a nice warm day to pouring rain and hail that tipped the passenger side over. My slight push on the driver's side cracked it just as much as the passenger side.

I will get someone who specializes in RV windshields and knows about and can fix the Winnebago rust issues.
Old 11-11-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
winnebago windshield frame problems

I just replace both my windows. EXACTLY the same crack. the windows sit on two metal tabs and that is where my window began the crack on the drivers side. the other side cracked across the lower right corner.

I spent the last two days filling the space behind the window on the top with additional sealant. tape of the windows and fill with windshield sealant Norton urethane. after applying use a blade to smooth it out and leave a slight angle so water will drain out.
The other problem is the extruded plastic used to hold the rubber molding is held in place with simple double contact tape. this allow moisture to load up behind it a rust the frame too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winnewindos.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	111708  
Old 11-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Are you sure the deductible on a windshield replacement is $500 ? Comp deductibles are usually lower.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

There are many causes. Torsion stress and heat stress are high on the suspect list.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post
Are you sure the deductible on a windshield replacement is $500 ? Comp deductibles are usually lower.
They call it "Other Than Collision" in my policy and I have $500. Is was probably my option and with all the pressure at the time of purchase, I did not question it well enough.

In any case, that is a whole lot less than the total cost will be, though I may have to pay more for rust abatement too.