Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How do you organize your coach?

I have a new to me 2005 Journey that I am about to organize. How do you keep your coach organized and make the best use of the space, from the kitchen cabinets to the compartments underneath? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated . If you have pictures of your organization solutions , please post them. We can see who shares my COD Compulsive Organizer Disorder
Old 04-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Smile It is a multi-stage process ...

To me it is a multi- stage process ...

Step 1. Try to determine what it is that you want/need to carry with you.

Step 2. Load it into the coach ... and then weigh the coach (the local truck stop with the CAT sign will weigh the axles ... maybe you can find a facility that will give you individual wheel weights ...

Step 3. This will give you an idea of how you to redistribute your "stuff"

After I had the stuff re-allocated to compartments I got out my tape measure and measured the compartments height and length. I then measured the heights and widths of my "stuff" ... then I was off to my local outlet store that had a great variety of storage bins ...

I bought storage bins (with lids) that are "transparent" and that stack on top of each other ...

I hope this helps ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Great advice. I like the storage bin idea and I am looking for a scale that I can weigh all four corners of the coach. Don't have one in my town.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Remember that the "hanging Storage Compartments" under and connected to the slide out have a load limit of, I think I read, 250 pounds.
We have our storage as follows.
Starting with the Drivers Side, forward.
Lube oil for engine and genny.Tranny Fluid and fluid for HWH Leveler System. Additive for Diesel fuel. a couple or three clean wipers to clean hands after fueling, windshield washer/squeege with extension handle. adjustable pliers for tightening water connections.

Underslide storage,front section, Plastic see through boxes of spare and assorted nuts, bolts, washers, wire clips, two small tool boxes with 3/8 drive socket set, drill bits, Air Guage and double headed filler for tires, 75 foot air hose, ladder extension for back ladder to roof, two plastic storage boxes one with spare receivers for sattelitte system, other has computer system 'stuff'.
Underslide storage, back section, Portable Sattelitte dish and tripode, plastic storage bin, 3 ftx18"x8" deep with spare sewer hose, new in box, hose clamps and sewer connections, toilet cleaning wand, two foot pipe wrench, short handled 6# hammer, 24"x1"dia. 'helper pipe' for extension handle for pipe wrench.Various lengths of TV Cable for hooking up TV System. Couple bottles of windshield washer fluid, bought on sale but not really needed.water Filter and cut off orange road cone to hold it.

Storage Compartment aft of slide. Medium Sized Electric Steam Cooker for turkey or whatever in storage box.
Electric wire reel filled with lead in wire for Sattelitte System.(Approx. 250 feet) with fittings on each end.10- 12x12x2 inch wood blocks for under jacks.(This is the drivers side of the pass through bay that has fishing rods and a couple lengths of PVC Sewer Pipe to extend dump line if needed.
Sewer Bay. guess what is in there besides two lengths of sewer hose, elbows, rubber doughnut, threaded fittings for sewer, short hose for when we use a dump station. Adapters for sewer caps and the control valves for Black and Gray water tanks.

Aft of the rear wheel well is the Water & Electric Bay. Potable Water connections and white hose and Pressure regulator. Aft of the water stuff is a divider and then the electric cable storage space, adapters for various combinations of electric plugs.

This covers the Drivers Side Storage areas. If you want the distribution of "Stuff" in the compartments on the Passenger side let me know and I will put that in another posting.

Full Time 2003 Journey DL
CaptChet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If it will fit somewhere, it goes there.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi scottma,
This is like trying to organize your dorm room at college. Consider doing nothing now. Load what you want and use the coach. You'll learn what you forgot and what you haven't used. Get rid of what you don't use (that is the hard part). Before buying any aftermarket storage devices, use the coach for a while. Stuff will rearrange itself based on how you use the coach. Make lists of what you feel you need to add. After the first year, consider taking stock of what you have and how you'd like it to be stored. Then determine what aftermarket purchases may be the right thing to spend your $s to buy.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I especially agree with Golden and GaryKD and wish I was as organized as CaptChet. And, yes, I should go weigh, but that ain't going to happen. Stuff I use most goes on the starboard side, other stuff on port. Stuff DW wants goes inside.
Every time I off load stuff because "we are not going anyplace that we need that", we change our minds during the trip and end up going where we needed "that". That's why God made Wal-Mart and why I have 2+ of everything, but most often both of those are at home because I forgot to pack them. Wal-Mart...even here in Mexico where we are now.
Go with the flow...don't over plan. JMHO
Old 04-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We just inventoried our coach and made sure that like items were in the same bins where possible. I then printed out the inventory by bin and laminated some cards that reflect where everything is. It is a simple system, but effective. We always have the cards handy to keep us organized and to find things we don't use often.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I am really looking forward to the replies on this thread as this topic hits very close to home for me. Like the original poster, I have looked at the way others have their "stuff" organized over the years and still have not come up with what I consider an "organized" solution. I have seen one guy actually build in wooded drawers, bins and compartments with slide out drawers. I have seen others that bought the clear see through bins but they seem to always be shuffling them around to get to something so if anyone has a system that works well I am all ears and eyes. Thanks for posting this topic.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Wow! The inside is my DW's area. I have a sign at the stick house that is as appropriate there as it is in the coach. It says, "I am master of this house. Whatever my wife says shall be done!"

Now for the outside - she does not care to dwell there. Whatever she wants from below, she just asks for. So!

I found that the bare compartments were unruly to say the least. Anything you put in there will be buried the next time you are looking for that item. Murphy's law seems to apply, so it doesn't matter what you want it will be on the bottom of the pile. So! (I used to use the plastic boxes with the lids)

I went to Wally-world and bought individual drawers after measuring the compartment length and height. I'm able to put four drawers, 2 side by side stacked 2 high in the larger compartments. I didn't buy enough drawers and when I went back I had to settle for a slightly smaller 29 quart drawer. But they work with just a little more room in the front. So I lay the broom and umbrella there in one compartment. I was amazed at the room I had when I put things into drawers. Now, things are at the bottom of the pile, but the pile isn't as big. I have tons of more room in these drawers but I don't have anything to put in them. DW will probably buy things on this trip to fill them up - I'll need to watch the weight.

Plumbing and water supplies in one drawer, Grill accessories etc., in another and so forth. The other day I sat with pen and paper by each compartment and made an inventory of every draw, labled by compartment and drawer number to my schema. Now, when I want something, I just look at the list, find out what drawer it's in and go pick it out. No more searching through compartments for the what-cha-might-call-it!

Oh! There is one part of the inside that is "sort" of mine. Part of the closet against the whole back wall. I say part, because DW took over some of it. She also took over a lot of the drawer and storage space for little clothes items. So! I stacked two of those drawers in the closet and store some shirts, and other items in them. On the top are more items, but some of the clothes I hang would fit right over those two stacked drawers. Now I have plenty of room.

Good luck on you quest.

Edited: Oh! The two drawers stacked in the compartment just come to the bottom of the small pull through on my chassis. I use those flat plastic container with the lid to slide in there the things I don't seem to use to frequently.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 04:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We took the large slide out closet on our 40TD, that was supposed to be for close and made it into a food pantry.

I took the closet metal type shelfs that is made of plastic coated wire material that has about a 2" lip on the front for strength, put the 2" lip up rather than down, this keeps things from bouncing off. She puts empty food containers and light weight things on the top shelf, and heavier on the bottom.

We live in this full time, and she likes to cook.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottma View Post
I have a new to me 2005 Journey that I am about to organize. How do you keep your coach organized and make the best use of the space, from the kitchen cabinets to the compartments underneath? Any tips or tricks would be appreciated . If you have pictures of your organization solutions , please post them. We can see who shares my COD Compulsive Organizer Disorder
I would suggest using it a few times with the best storage you first come up with. Then as you make a few trips you will start seeing the pattern you really want. Looks don't mean a twit, it is ease of access when you need it that will dictate. Storage bins (plastic) work best for me as I like to remove them from the coach to get what I want.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I use clear tubs in my large storage compartment and organize things in them so I can pull from the outside in as needed.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Put the stuff where is it best for you THEN put it back in the same place. That's what real organization is I think.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

No matter how you organize, keep in mind that the compartments under the widest slide--normally drivers side--should be unloaded before opening slide unless you have a great back, knee pads and a hockey helmet.
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I just take less stuff!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeyaarv View Post
No matter how you organize, keep in mind that the compartments under the widest slide--normally drivers side--should be unloaded before opening slide unless you have a great back, knee pads and a hockey helmet.
No problems with mine, the compartments slide out with the slideout! It's a different story with the small slideout however. Luckily, there is very little I put in the pass-through compartment directly under it and the other compartment has the A/C. Very clever design feature.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

The best thing to do is to put stuff where it makes sense to you and put it back when finished with it. If it stays out, it gets cluttered really fast.

We use lots of bins, tubs, etc, selected to fit the area that it firs. Out side I heave one tub for electrical, another for water related items, another for sewer related items and one for tools and repair items.

Inside, bins for office supplies, important papers, and so on. Get ideas from others, but there is no right answer from me that fits the other person.

Ken
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottma View Post

Scottma,
I chuckel when you say "COD". I've been labled as that when I've showed my pics of my compartments. I simply laugh. When it comes to the inside of the coach, that's the War Departments demilaterized zone. She get's 99.5% of the acerage of drawers and closet and I get, well, what's left. But now when it comes to the outside compartments, they're all mine. But, do check with her to see if I've forgotten anything she might want, ha, ha. Anyway, compartment organization is what anyone things it is. To some, it's boxes and boxes, and to some, as long as the compartment doors are not forced open while in travel, that's fine too.

To me, I just like to be effecient. That is, if I want to do something like a five minute repair job, or add a quart of oil, or get a lantern or what ever, I want to be able to do it within a reasonable amount time so I can do what ever else like, relax or ? I don't want to be digging through boxes telling myself, "I know it's in here somewhere". So, I did what I did as a "sub living" while being fireman for 30 years. I had the job of out fitting brand new fire trucks before they were placed into service. I learned a lot.

So, take a look at the pics and see if any ideas would apply to your train of thought(s). It was not hard. What you see in the pics was total of about two days work. Now, it's organized FOREVER! Some would say, organized is, "Put something back where you got it". Well, I certainly agree. All my stuff IS put back where I got it.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote