Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

How do you? Cargo door trim?

I have a 2004 Itasca 33V. The previous owner did some serious damage to the passenger side cargo doors. In order for me to replace the damaged doors I had to remove the, lets call it the hinge cover molding strip,. Now that I have replaced the doors I am unable to figure out how to reattach this molding strip. I see where the top lip of it fits behind the metal strip attached to the rv all along top of the cargo doors. So I place the top of the strip in this grove and then what? Just pressing down does nothing. I use a rubber mallet and this does not help either. So my question to you is How Do You Do it?

thanks
alan
Old 01-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Alan, on my 2003 Itasca, that trim strip is attached by small screws that come up from the bottom and go through the hinges on the basement/cargo doors. Open the doors on the undamaged side and look up at the hinges for those screws.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks but mine have not screws at all. There may be a special tool to attache them. Just don't know how to do it or what to use. It just peeled off but can't figure out how to put it back on. It runs about 25' or so.

thanks again

would really like some suggestions. Someone out there has to know how to do this.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Screws in the hinges. Look again.

A related thread

Does this mean you found cargo doors?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Nope

Sorry Tim but that is not the way the trim belt works on the 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 33V. Yes it does have the one little screw that holds the end cap onto the trim belt so the end of the belt is not just raw cut. When I was at the RV junk yard in Joplin a couple of weeks ago getting cargo doors for my RV I followed the parts collector around the yard. When he found a RV with doors that would fit mine he just popped the end of the 25' or so trim belt and gave it a wank and the whole belt just peeled off like peeling a banana. It some how tucks under the same aluminum strip that runs along the side of the RV. This strip is where you place the top of belt into and then somehow it pops onto the bottom of this strip. Just can't figure out how. Attached is a picture of the side of the RV and you can see this aluminum strip I am talking about. To the right of the bare aluminum strip you can see the end of the 25' or so belt. That long belt fell off when I tried to attach it. Did not get to see how it was attached.
thanks
alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	172779   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	172780  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	172781  
Old 01-29-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I've had that exact piece off of my '04. I can't imagine yours would be any different. Mine's in the garage, I'll see if I can go get a picture that shows it, without taking it off again.

Did it fast enough to be able to edit this post...

First picture is with one of my cargo doors fully open, looking up at the hinge. Yellow circles are the rivets holding the door to the hinge. Red circle is the screw holding the belt molding on. In the left side of the picture you can see the slot that accepts the screws in the molding (sorry didn't circle it). There's aren't holes, just an extruded slot that is narrow enough for the screws to grab.

Second picture is a closeup of your picture. You can see the screw hole in the hinge. (Wish mine was as clean a yours. I'm the original owner and keep it inside, but it has been out in the winter a couple times.)

Last image is from the parts catalog. Gotta look a little, but you can see the screw.

BUT. I did notice something in the parts catalog. There are two part numbers called out for my trim piece on my 31Y:

1 123993-01-02A EA TRIM - COVER - 182" ALUMINUM - BLACK
1 146550-01-02A EA TRIM COVER - SIDEWALL - 182" - BLACK

Mine was built in October/November before the breakpoint listed. Maybe mine IS different than yours?

Ought to be able to look at the doors on the passenger side and see if there are screws.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screw.PNG
Views:	132
Size:	443.4 KB
ID:	172786   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScrewHole.PNG
Views:	130
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	172787  

Attached Images

Old 02-02-2020, 08:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have the snap on belt line trim and it is rather difficult to zipper it back on.

As I recall you have to clean the track and the backside of the trim piece, wax the mating surfaces, hang it from the top of the retaining strip and then while pressing it firmly downward press the bottom in starting from one end working your way to the other being careful not to let it shift away from where you started.

I used non-making blocks like used for installing laminate flooring and a BuckShot Hammer being careful to not go gorilla to work the trim down onto the retaining channel so I could get the bottom to flip inwards and clip where it was being a bit difficult.

After 16 years enough oxidation will have built up to make it a bit more difficult than when it all was shiny and new.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Figure it out?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:21 AM   #9

Are you guys able to repair your door... when it's crushed on the bottom edge?

Or did you have find a replacement door (new or used)?

If a body shop is doing it for you, please leave their contact information. I have two doors damaged on the bottom I need repaired.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door