Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 09:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

How Do I See If There Is Rust Behind The Windshield

I am looking at buying a 2004 Itasca Meridian 34H from a Dealer and I just now heard about the "RUST" problem behind the Windshield......

Before I buy this Rig how do I inspect to find out if there is a problem???????? HELP

Thanks LeeB
Old 11-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Generally,rust problems are discovered when windshield glass is being replaced. I doubt the seller is willing to remove the glass for inspection. I've had both sides replaced on our '07 34H and had minor rust conditions repaired both times.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Generally,rust problems are discovered when windshield glass is being replaced. I doubt the seller is willing to remove the glass for inspection. I've had both sides replaced on our '07 34H and had minor rust conditions repaired both times.
Thanks......... But Look what I found doing a Google search.......

http://http://forums.trailerlife.com...print/true.cfm
Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
aa1ssradio

You do not need to pull the windshield to find rust there. Just move the rubber trim and if it is there you will see it
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
You do not need to pull the windshield to find rust there. Just move the rubber trim and if it is there you will see it
Any chance seeing it by lifting the rubber? with out removing it?
Old 11-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You could look for telltale signs inside of the RV.

If the rust is bad enough you may see rust/water stains on the inside trim located at the top of the windshield. Also, if the rust has worked its way to the inside you may see grains of rust on the dash below the windshield. These grains would be picked up by a magnet.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Lee;

I am on my 3rd Winnebago Product. 97 Adventure, 2003 Chieftain, and now a 2005 Horizon. I have had to replace windshields on all three and never found any serious rust problems. We found minor rust that was treated in place and the new windshield was replaced. I know there are some horror stories in this forum but we usually don't hear from those who don't have any problems. I suspect the percentage of owners with major rust problems is small. Winnebago makes a good product and I would buy another if or when the need presents itself.

If my memory is not failing me Lee I believe you and I got acquainted when I owned my 03 Chieftain and we both had a Workhorse chassis with vapor lock problems.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Lee;

I am on my 3rd Winnebago Product. 97 Adventure, 2003 Chieftain, and now a 2005 Horizon. I have had to replace windshields on all three and never found any serious rust problems. We found minor rust that was treated in place and the new windshield was replaced. I know there are some horror stories in this forum but we usually don't hear from those who don't have any problems. I suspect the percentage of owners with major rust problems is small. Winnebago makes a good product and I would buy another if or when the need presents itself.

If my memory is not failing me Lee I believe you and I got acquainted when I owned my 03 Chieftain and we both had a Workhorse chassis with vapor lock problems.

Don
Yes Mr. Mayor your exactly right you and I have met and we talked (typed) a lot when we had the vapor lock problems. I wish I still had that MH after I got all the pittley things fixed it was a great coach. (Lesson learned)

I am looking at a 04 Meridian DeMartini RV Sales - New and Used Motorhome Dealer | Detail | Vehicles We looked at it once but real quick and now that I have some ammo we will go look at it again this with a fine tooth comb....
Old 11-23-2015, 07:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My 2007 Sightseer had this issue and my windshield cracked on the one side. $1,000.00 repair. There was only a couple of spots of rust but enough to make the windshield crack. I had no sign of this until the windshield cracked.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

There is a recent thread where the owner removed the rubber trim, wire-brushed away loose rust, then completely filled the voids with black windshield setting compound, then replaced the rubber trim; before any problems arose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Going to the dealer tomorrow and going to check and see what I can see before we actually buy. I talked to the salesmen today and naturally he had never heard of it happening. Hmmmmmmmm
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Going to the dealer tomorrow and going to check and see what I can see before we actually buy. I talked to the salesmen today and naturally he had never heard of it happening. Hmmmmmmmm
Of course he hasn't! This has bee an ongoing issue for Winnebago for many years. If they want to sell the unit they will inspect it for you. When you open the storage compartments look at the coating around the opening where the seal is attached. If it has been repaired there is a good chance you will have a windshield issue The coating flaking off is what has caused the rust problems. The coating on both sides of my 2007 Sightseer flaked off within 2 years and I had to have the rust fixed. Then about 6 years in the windshield cracked and we found it was the same issue and we had to have that fixed. Given the age of this coach the previous owner may have already dealt with the issues.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well we did it. We went ahead and bought. After talking to friends and others who have or own Winnebago's and the fact that I have been using forums for close to 10 years. I was reminded that most of the time the only time people complain is when things are not right... I am banking on the theory that 2 out of a 1000 are bad and leak. Also the fact the coach is 11yrs old and the windshield has been replaced... I inspected the best I could and saw no signs of the dreaded rust.......

Tags
rust