Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

House Power

My 2006 View house power only works when the main cord is plugged into Mains power or the running generator. I have two new Interstate house batteries. The disconnect switch at the entry step clicks when I press it on and off (believe it is the same sound I'm used to hearing), but nothing happens. Is there a solenoid somewhere that I can get to to replace, or do I need to find a specialty repair center (nearest is about 70 miles away)?
Thanks
Pat Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you're here with problems .

Questions .
Were the batteries replaced in an attempt to correct this issue?
Or did this start when the batteries were replaced ?
Does your RV have multiple 12 volt batteries or 6 volt batteries, for the 12 volt house power?
Do you have a multi-meter for testing/looking for your problem?
Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yes you have a solenoid that operates the house battery bank. If you do not "hear" a click when you rock the switch, it could be a bad solenoid. BUT IF you have bad batteries, cooked off the fluid and exposed lead wafers...well this will basically "kill" the battery. My experience is it does not take much to boil off the water and EVERY time you roll out for a trip you NEED to check the batteries for fluid level. This is exactly why I have switched to AGM lifeline batteries...have not had any issues and there is no maintenance, battery cleaning or worries about fluid levels.
Good luck!
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the Forum!

Also, do you have an inverter? If so, sometimes they have to be manually turned on to convert to A/C power.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

FWIW If you are hearing the click your house batteries are probably charged. If you have a light turned on and you do not get it to light in either position of the storage switch then you either have a bad relay or a fuse/breaker that is tripped in your distribution panel. You can find the relay by following the big cable from the positive battery post. It's now meter time. If you have 12 VDC to ground on on both sides of the can relay then check the fuses.

If you can figure it out you can probably fix it yourself.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Believe these batteries were either original or old, but they were dead and house would only work when plugged into mains or generator. Replaced them with new Interstates. Will be trying to track down the relay that another member says is in line with the positive line. Couldn't find a bad fuse in the two fuse panels or in the distribution center. May also be looking for a solenoid that may be bad. Many thanks for responding. I had some things going on that prevented me from reading anyones help notes until now. Wish me luck!
Thanks
Old 04-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for responding. Sorry I took so long to read these, but had some stuff that took all my time.
Would you know where the solenoid is for my View?
Thanks
Old 04-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mine automatically switches.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info. Had some issues that kept me from reading these until now. Will be looking for the relay on the positive cable. Couldn't find any bad fusser thrown breakers. Is there a specific solenoid for the View?
Thanks
Another question; when I respond to one of the responses I got, do the others see it?
Old 05-01-2016, 05:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Look for a can shaped device with 2 big terminals and a couple of small ones. It is probably the thing your battery is connected to. If not it is probably the second one following the heavy + wire.

FWIW there are two ways they wire these systems. One has the battery connected to the converter and the solenoid/relay connects both to the house. The other way has the converter connected to the house and the battery connected to one side of the relay with the other connected to the house. The second version supplies 12 VDC but does not charge the house batteries when plugged in and with the switch in the wrong position.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Pat Edwards Here is the link to the wiring diagrams for your coach and a couple of pictures that should help.
Wiring Diagrams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	View Battery Sol.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	125711   Click image for larger version

Name:	View Breaker Panel.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	125712  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote