Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hose leak to HWH

I have a leak on a hose going to ?. I'm not sure what this is . It is running length wise with the coach below a rear slide. I would think that hose would have to be replaced but first I have to know what this is. It is the first hose to the right on the picture It has a protector around it that is lifted off. Any ideas what this & where the hose runs to.
I can't keep up with things going to heck just sitting there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5120004.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	435  
Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

According to HWH..there were/are some problems with connectors on certain production batches of their hoses....and leaks occur. If you can read the part number on the hose lable..call HWH and ask about this hose. I had similar problem...they sent me new hose..even out of warranty..
Old 05-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Dave, It looks like its connected to the sychronizing cylinder if you have a dual cylinder room extension. If you have a single cylinder guided room extension then its just attached to the cylinder itself.

No matter which one it is they are not that difficult to replace. You just have to get in there and disconnect and remove the entire bad line. Take the old Hydraulic line to a Local shop that makes these, I used our local Napa auto parts store. Their lines were better than the original ones on my Itasca Suncruiser. Once you have the replacement (same size and length) just retrace your removal route reattached fitting ends and all the zip ties and then just extend and retract the room slide (watching the hydraulic reservoir level, check level when retracted) the system will bleed out the air in the line automatically. The job seemed rather big when I started but really went easy.

I would download the HWH operator's manual from there web site, www.hwh.com this would help to understand what you have. Hope this helps.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Hose leak to HWH

If you have a hose made by a local shop be certain tat they blow the hose out BEFORE putting end fittings on. Any devbris left in the hose can be carried by the hydraulilc fluid to your solenoid valves and cause them to bypass fluid. Changing the hose out is really not a big deal.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Kix, when I got the replacement hose Napa Auto parts store put covers over each end to keep out anything from getting inside prior to the actual connection. I would assume that standard practice in making these would be to check under pressure for leaks and to blow out any debris prior to handing it over to the customer.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

When you reconnect the hose ends...150 pounds of torque not required...

Try a firm snug..25-30 pounds torque..
Old 05-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Hose leak to HWH

Dunnpe
Maybe that's SOP for your NAPA store but I assure you that's not the SOP everywhere. Want to know how I know that?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

How much pressure is on the rod end connection? If this is the rod end connection coming into the synchronizing cylinder, where does it come from? The pump? Also what kind of fluid is used in this system?
Thanks for the all the info.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I figured you brought that up from experience. That would surely suck after all the work to replace the hose.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Dave, I don't remember how much pressure, but it wasn't much, I lost some fluid when I took it apart but I it didn't explod, just loosen slowly and cover the fitting with a rag. Just unattach the leaky end and follow it back to where ever it goes. Mine both went back to the pump. There are some areas I have seen under there that go to a Tee in the line or to a coupling of sort.

Just use trans mission fluid that is called for in your manual.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from MN View Post
I have a leak on a hose going to ?. I'm not sure what this is . It is running length wise with the coach below a rear slide. I would think that hose would have to be replaced but first I have to know what this is. It is the first hose to the right on the picture It has a protector around it that is lifted off. Any ideas what this & where the hose runs to.
I can't keep up with things going to heck just sitting there!
before loosening any hose connections, release the hydraulic pressure in the system by opening the solenoid release valves. the 1/4 inch valves release pressure by opening approx. 3 1/2 turns. the t handle valves are different. that will minimize the amount of fluid you loose.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

AS SOMEONe ELSE SAID. Check with HWH first..give them the part numbers and they may replace them under warranty at a dealer. There is one hose they will not replace but they will (or did) replace others...Please do yourself a favor and call HWH. If you get a negative answer THEN worry bout NAPA etc etc. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Update on where I am on this. I called HWH today & I found out it is very critical not to get any air in the slide out system. In fact to take hose off & get a new one made would mean you would have air get in. The hose that is bad on mine goes from the synchronizing cylinder to one of hydraulic cylinders. It's bad on both ends. I ordered out a new one from HWH & they will send instructions along with it. It's going to be a hard reach to get at the Hydraulic cylinder end.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Update on where I am on this. I called HWH today & I found out it is very critical not to get any air in the slide out system. In fact to take hose off & get a new one made would mean you would have air get in. The hose that is bad on mine goes from the synchronizing cylinder to one of hydraulic cylinders. It's bad on both ends. I ordered out a new one from HWH & they will send instructions along with it. It's going to be a hard reach to get at the Hydraulic cylinder end.
They do send good instructions...read thoroughly before starting. Have plenty of rags nearby...wear latex gloves...wear eye protection...wash off red stuff on skin ASAP...take your time.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Having looked over my hose problem, this was not a bad hose connector. If there is any fault to be made it would have to be Winnebago's! There is not enough slack in the hose. These hoses that come off the synchronizing cylinder & go to the 2 hydraulic cylinders have to be the same length. I'm not sure what the answer is to get more slack in that hose. Maybe the synchronizing cylinder can be moved in that direction? The way it is, it is destine to fail! This was one of the first 37Bs to roll off the assembly line & they did have their problems on the line!
To get at this hose I'm going to have to take off the mud flap & wheel well cover to be able to get at the connection!
Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

If its the lr slide and its the fitting that is father away from the pass side I believe you will have to take cycl out to remove and install hose. At least that was the way it was on mine. Cycl not hard to get out.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsr View Post
If its the lr slide and its the fitting that is father away from the pass side I believe you will have to take cycl out to remove and install hose. At least that was the way it was on mine. Cycl not hard to get out.
I am not sure which cycl your talking about. But this is the passenger side & the forward one just behind the rear wheels. I will take a look to see about removing the cycl. .
I started to take off the wheel well cover but that got way too involved!
Old 05-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I am not sure which cycl your talking about. But this is the passenger side & the forward one just behind the rear wheels. I will take a look to see about removing the cycl. .
I started to take off the wheel well cover but that got way too involved!
you must be talking about a bedroom slide. I was talking about a livingroom slide. It uses 2 cycl to move slide in and out. I had to rpl a hose on my front cycl and the only way to access the hose fitting was to remove the cycl. You might be having a differant problem on a differant slide.