Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have owned our 04 Horizon exactly one week today, and here in sunny FL we noticed this morning that it was 89 degrees outside and 94 inside.

The inside air was a-blowing away but a step outside into the cooler air there was a deadening silence.

After investigation, and the usual shut the system down for 10 minutes to reset syndrome was invoked, we started it up again. The compressor ran. For 3 minutes. Then silence again. The outside blower, however, never even tried to spin.

Broke out the trusty Fluke (DMM) and checked the outside blower motor windings for shorts & opens. None found. Tested the capacitors - within tolerance all around.

The service manual was found online and the trouble shooting process points to a bad control board. Like Murphy says - the most expensive part or least available will always fail first.

Lazydays will warrant the repair - luckily. Now to get it in to them to have them take care of it.

Not to be baked alive inside the coach I made up a power cord that is hard-wired to the Outdoor Blower motor High leads. This temporary fix has us back in 82 degree comfort until they can get us in for service.

Has anyone else had this failure, out of curiousity?

Sam & Sandy Davis

04 Horizon 40AD
New Port Richey, FL

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have owned our 04 Horizon exactly one week today, and here in sunny FL we noticed this morning that it was 89 degrees outside and 94 inside.

The inside air was a-blowing away but a step outside into the cooler air there was a deadening silence.

After investigation, and the usual shut the system down for 10 minutes to reset syndrome was invoked, we started it up again. The compressor ran. For 3 minutes. Then silence again. The outside blower, however, never even tried to spin.

Broke out the trusty Fluke (DMM) and checked the outside blower motor windings for shorts & opens. None found. Tested the capacitors - within tolerance all around.

The service manual was found online and the trouble shooting process points to a bad control board. Like Murphy says - the most expensive part or least available will always fail first.

Lazydays will warrant the repair - luckily. Now to get it in to them to have them take care of it.

Not to be baked alive inside the coach I made up a power cord that is hard-wired to the Outdoor Blower motor High leads. This temporary fix has us back in 82 degree comfort until they can get us in for service.

Has anyone else had this failure, out of curiousity?

Sam & Sandy Davis

04 Horizon 40AD
New Port Richey, FL

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone else had this failure, out of curiousity?

Sam & Sandy Davis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do a search of basemnt AC here. I had two major failures within one year and all because of low voltage. Others have had different problems. My next coach will have roof AC's.

Let me elaborate a bit.My purchase dealer is 15 minutes away, good right? My first failure, the coach sat at the stealer for 3 weeks then I was told they didn't have a tech qualified to fix it, since it was a compresser failure. I took it to a repair facility about an hour away and they diagnosed an electrical problem which caused the burnout of several components. What's the use of going back to a dealer, who by the way offerd a no deductable extended warranty, if they don't have qualified people. The sencod failure happened when it was plugged into my house circuit and the voltage dropped to 98 VAC.My 2 cents....
Old 09-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I am also new to the basement units, but so far so good. Be careful what you ask for. I have had 5 motorhomes with roof AC units and have had my share of problems. One started on fire while we were in the coach. One went from cool to heat when a coil failed. And, all of them leaked at one time or another. I use a surge protector hoping it will cut off the power if it drops low enough to do damage to the basement unit. Good luck with your new coach, I think you will enjoy it.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My next coach will have roof AC's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have owned more than 11 coaches since 1982. All of them had roof air. Thought we'd try something different this time.

Our brand new 2006 Terry 5th wheel made it 5 months before the compressor thermal overload switch died on us. Coleman was nice enough to replace the roof air under warranty. Of course it only took 3 weeks to get it and have it installed. Life was unpleasant in 96 degree full timing RVing for those 3 weeks.

Then there was the Forest River towable we had... that roof A/C lived for almost 11 months before it gasped it's last breath. We used that camper just a few times a month on weekends only. Of course it chose to give up the ghost when Florida was having a heatwave in the high 90's.

Im sure this is just another challenge we are facing.

Ride Safe!

Sam & Sandy

04 Horizon 40AD
04 FLHTC and 04 FLHRI/C riders

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My Vectra had the control board go out within 3 months of purchase. The board controlled the fan that pulled cooling air over the evaporator coils. We were in North Alabama in August so I hooked a 20" fan on a chair to blow into coil. This worked well enough until we could get back but not while traveling-obviously.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We were in North Alabama in August so I hooked a 20" fan on a chair to blow into coil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill - I like the way you think. That was my first thought, however only had a small oscillating fan available. I built a patch cord that I have plugged into the closest 120vac outlet. Just got to remember to apply power to the blower motor before cranking down the thermostat.

I hope to hear something this week on parts availability.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Sam & Sandy

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-24-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

G'day Sam & Sandy,
Just a vote for the basement A/C's. We had one in our '96 Vectra and had no trouble with it for the 5 years we owned it (00-06) The thermostat did give out, over $100 as I recall.

Now we have the '04 Horizon with the heat pump we just love it and in upstate NY it has been getting some use over night. When I first got this MH the ductwork behind the rear cap was split but after resealing and adding some insulation it has been fine.

Sorry to hear you are having problems,

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Greetings, Lindsay

I knew small issues would pop up whether it
was a new coach or a previously owned one.

We aren't discouraged - and Im sure all of the
yet to be discovered bugs will show up in time.

Thanks for the well wishes, though.

Cheers!!

Sam

New Port Richey, FL