Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On a cool morning in Florida, so it is above 40 deg, if I select Elect heat and set my thermostat to less than 5 deg above room temp always both the heat pump and the furnace come on. A tech told me he had never heard of that happening and basically told me it could not happen and I was stupid. It has since done it every time.

Anyone got any clues? and thanks for any input.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On a cool morning in Florida, so it is above 40 deg, if I select Elect heat and set my thermostat to less than 5 deg above room temp always both the heat pump and the furnace come on. A tech told me he had never heard of that happening and basically told me it could not happen and I was stupid. It has since done it every time.

Anyone got any clues? and thanks for any input.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Lindsay,

That function is controlled by the thermostat. I had just the opposite problem - my thermostat would never call for furnace help. If I was on Elect Heat that's all I ever got.

Sent an email to [email protected], described the problem, told them I was comfortable with installing a replacement, and they sent me a replacement the same day. All you do is pop off the front of the thermostat, remove a couple of mounting screws and unplug the wiring. Reverse that with the new one. Mine works "by the book" now. I like support like that!

Can't remember what the warranty is, but it's at least 2 years.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If there is more than a five degree difference between room temperature and set temperature, both the propane furnace AND the heat pump will come on at the same time.

Just tested that this morning here in Tucson, the coach was 65 degrees and I turned on the electric heat (it was set to 74 degrees) and both heat pump and furnace started up (which is normal.)

If your room temp was say 70 and you set the electric heat to 73, only the heat pump should come on.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I agree with John
A couple weeks ago the inside coach temperature was 47 degrees I set the thermostat at 60 degrees (electric) and the gas heater came on first.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the coach temp is 47 set the stat on 51 and set to electric only. The heat pump will run and not the gas furnace. When the coach temp comes up to 51 reset the stat to 55, etc., etc.

A pain in the butt, but no propane useage.

I do it most of the time.

Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 01:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if I select Elect heat and set my thermostat to less than 5 deg above room temp always both the heat pump and the furnace come on </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What am I missing here? Sure sounds like arkaussie understands the 5 degree rule and it's not working. (Elect heat, thermostat set to less than 5 degrees above room temp, both heat pump and LP heater come on) Unless I'm misunderstanding his post, it's got to be a thermostat fault...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Tomsm, you are not missing anything. I was confused as I thought that both gas and elect heat would not come on together. Now I need to do more tests to see at what temp diff to room that the gas also comes on. I am not sure that the thermostat actually reads correctly and maybe the reading is different to what the computer is seeing, who knows.

Thanks for the help and I will investigate further.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

After both gas and electric heaters bring temp up to setting if the temp drops 2 degrees and then only the electric comes on. If it is very cold and the electric heater won,t hold temp then after a 5 degree drop the gas comes on. If this happens 3 times the electric shuts off for 2 hrs.- john

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote