Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hood Support Bracket Lost

So we just got back from a week in Silver City NM visiting friends. Made a stop both coming and going in Gila Bend AZ when it was 110° during the day and only the low 90's at night. While washing the bugs off the front once we got home, I find that the driver side hood stop, the part that locks the hood and has adjustable stops, has fallen off. I assume the high temperature and vibrations from the road caused the adhesive to loosen and the part fell off somewhere on the road. I do remember hearing a thunk from underneath while driving but thought it was only a piece of tire or something I didn't see on the road. I've heard of this happening to others and wondered if anyone has the part number for this for a 2016 Sunstar LX 27n? How did you put it back on? The picture below is the passenger side, I assume the driver side is a mirror image of this bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_100551_HDR.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	172199  
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That sounds like the same ol' problem most Winnie owners have. The epoxy gives out and a bracket or even an entire fiberglass body piece can end up on the ground.

What I did when I had both front and rear body pieces come loose from the epoxy (though nothing fell on the ground) was to drill holes for 6-32 Stainless flathead screws through the brackets from the backside using a small Li-Io battery drill so in most of the places that had brackets it was pretty easy to find space for the drill. A 90 degree drill would get them all I'm sure.

After the holes were drilled, used a simple rotary counter sink so the screw head is flush with the surface. Inserted the screws, added a flat washer and bolted them down using a plastic insert lock nut. At that point, I could just dab the screw heads with paint to hide them but they are so small, really no reason to do that IMO. In 3 years of driving I've not had to revisit the repair at all. Holding fast.

As far as your missing bracket goes, you could fashion a new one based on the one you still have, or have a machine shop do it, or contact this salvage place, Visone RV and see if they have one.

I know many people go to the extreme and try to use epoxy again but I didn't...here's my blog article about it when I had the front hood get loose: Body Work

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sorry I don't know the part # or #s. The first one I had fall off I was able to retrieve from the side of the road, straighten out and reuse. The others I almost lost I noticed were getting loose and re-secured them BEFORE they fell off. IT'S A HORRIBLE DESIGN OR HORRIBLE EXECUTION BY WINNEBAGO MANUFACTURING, I THINK ITS THE FIRST NOT THE SECOND.

Happens to a lot of us. My Vista 27N was made in December 2014 and the expoxy on both sides latch brackets has failed and on some of the grille as well. I also have put fasteners thru the front cap as well as re-expoxy them as I have no confidence that you can expoxy steel to fiberglass and have it hold due to the different ways that steel and fiberglass expand and contract. Also you will see that the epoxy that Winnebago used self destructs as it flexes you'll be able to break off pieces of expoxy that are still left on the cap where the bracket fell of with just a fingernail. There's no texture on the mating surface of the metal brackets either, to help give the epoxy more surface area to bond to. If I was Winnebago Industrial Engineer I would re-spec those brackets to have some diamond cross hatch grooves machined into the backs of them and double triple quadruple check that the expoxy and mixing/application methods being used are appropriate for the requirements that the brackets have to be able to flex and not fall of for many years, personally I would want to spec them to hold for at least 8 years if it was me.

They are also running all those brackets they epoxy to the cap thru the paint process so the surfaces they are epoxying to the caps are freshly painted only a few days before they are being epoxied to the caps. I wonder if that's not part of the problem, too.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote