Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hood Support Bar 2018View24D

This was a surprise to me. On the '17 Sprinter chassis the hood support bar is on the left, you just open the hood and the bar falls into a slot to hold it open. To close you just push the bar out of the slot and lower the hood. Well, early one AM I opened the hood just as many times before, added the DEF, and pushed the latch to close it. Oops! Bent the support bar in half. I had to manually bend the thing with hands to close the hood. It works but not very well now. When I get home will remove the thing and straighten it/repair it or replace it.

For those with a like rig pay attention when you close the hood and hold that bar open until hood starts moving down clearing that latch slot on the bar
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Kayak..... Buddy!!!!!!

You bent the hood prop!!!!! And didn't bend the hood?

Good advice. Always push the strut away from you and hold till you have lowered the hood a couple inches.....

I always left the hood a bit before releasing the strut. Then push it back and lower the hood down to about 3-4 inches from the latch. Then just drop it a couple inches to close.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, I cringe to admit it but I didn't just bend it...folded it in half! It did not damage the hood at all even where it is connected. Kudos to Benz Boys for getting that right!

Maybe too many years and miles on the road now but yeah, it was silly. Normally it is like an automatic move but not this time. I will need to add DEF about two more times before getting home. Just about time to seek warmer weather before white stuff covers the ground.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak73 View Post
Yeah, I cringe to admit it but I didn't just bend it...folded it in half! It did not damage the hood at all even where it is connected. Kudos to Benz Boys for getting that right!

Maybe too many years and miles on the road now but yeah, it was silly. Normally it is like an automatic move but not this time. I will need to add DEF about two more times before getting home. Just about time to seek warmer weather before white stuff covers the ground.

YIKES! Well better the strut than the hood. I priced them on the 'net'. About $7-10 for a replacement + shipping. Not too pricey.

(Thinking out loud here.... maybe it was designed that way for crash protection? NOT!

Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote