Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hood Latch Problem

Having a problem with hood latches, My unit is a 2015 Forza 34ft, Hood latches Are attached with an Epoxy Glue. After having one replaced, just noticed its ready to fall off again. Any solutions ?
Fred Raines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #2

First off

:welcome:

being we all can't know of your problem if you posted a picture of your door latch problem we may be able to suggest reasonable alternatives for you. I had a similar problem with the latches on our old girl and changed the mounting system totally. I will await seeing your pictures and will see if my solution is applicable.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hood Latch

I had the same problem, and Forest City could not get them to stick properly when I took the coach there.The glue or epoxy does not hold. The prop rod will probably fall off, also. I bolted brackets to the front end frame support and bolted the latch plates to them. You will find that the whole front end of the Forza is glued on.

Jim 2015 Forza 34 T Texas
oopypic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Same with my 2014 Sunstar. The dealer farmed the epoxy job out to a local body shop and they found the right adhesive.

This is after two dealer attempts at glue jobs. Both times the hood bumpers fell off after 15 miles. I got lucky the first time they fell off and found them hung up under the hood. The second and third time, and currently, I ran a loop of safety wire around each one so if they pop off they can't go far.

Whoever did the original factory adhesive job should be fired. There was less than a dime size area of adhesive on each one.

Gump
Old 10-08-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Have the same problem with a 2005 Winnie Adventurer. Hood glued to the front of the coach. Mechanic leaned on it too hard and broke one side off. They epoxied it back on but it is starting to come off. Thinking of cleaning all the old stuff off and using 3M5200 with a fiberglass mesh between the bracket and the RV front. Clamp for a few days to allow it to set.
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #6

I bolted the ones in place on my 94 Adventurer and they have no chance of falling off. I can post pictures of the finished job as soon as I get the nose repainted. It took a bit of planning to get the units in place and everything lined up and using a 90º drill unit to enable drilling the holes in the proper location but it all worked and the hood has been in place for about 3 years now. Used Loctite Adhesives, Applicators, Heat, & Glue Guns | Caulk, Sealants, & Adhesives | Loctite® 27105 271™ High Strength Red Threadlocker, 0.5 ml | B1462244 - GlobalIndustrial.ca on the nuts to keep them in place when finished.

Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Fred -

Yes, the front end of the Forza is held together by glue. It depends upon who the factory worker was whether or not they stay on. Two of three of mine have fallen off so far on my 34T. Also check your slides. Some of the 2015s have the new one and some have the old Schwintec. You might also want to check the wiring for your rear tail lights. Mine were held on with duct tape. Other than these few cheap tricks, we still really LOVE the layout and the RV.