Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 1/2"x 2" deep hole in my fiberglass roof caused by a falling tree limb. I intend to use eternabond tape to seal the hole but it seems to me I should fill the hole with something to level it with the roof line(Eternabond is not very thick tape). Any suggestions?

2001 Winnebago Journey 36L
MarkF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 1/2"x 2" deep hole in my fiberglass roof caused by a falling tree limb. I intend to use eternabond tape to seal the hole but it seems to me I should fill the hole with something to level it with the roof line(Eternabond is not very thick tape). Any suggestions?

2001 Winnebago Journey 36L
MarkF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hey Mark - welcome to the forum. I like the idea of fiberglass mat and West system epoxy. You should be able to find it at any good marine store. That repair will actually be much stronger than the tape; in fact I would forget the tape if it was my roof. Fill the hole with styrofoam or fiberglass mat for the insulating value then do the epoxy patch.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Foam insulation in a spray can.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 04:08 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If you want to do a real wiz bang job have a look at this. I was going to toss these since it is 2 MHs back but they were still on the site (in the wrong order now but you can figure that out).

When we traded for our Journey the dealer was very very impressed. I was po'd because they still insisted the roof had to be replaced (and insurance claim and the cost was not low).

It was a EPDM roof but I think the same kind of repair would apply to many types of roof.

Roof repair
Old 10-06-2005, 04:11 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Oh, I should have mentioned that the roof was damaged when a tree came out of no where and hit us. Needless to say from that point on we started looking up as much as forward, backwards and sideways.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I seconded the idea of fiberglass mat and epoxy. It will make a great repair and strenthen the roof in the area also. Working with fiber glass is actually quite easy even for a beginner. I did a repair on my TT and I was surprize at how easy it was to work with.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I did a fiberglass repair on my boat and the foam melted when the resin contacted it. The resin and foam may have been incompatible. There may be a combination that will work. I don't think you will have that problem with fiberglass insulation. As others have said, a fiberglass/resin repair is not very hard to do.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote