Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Ok I know this has been covered. I have been seaching all morning for my answer.

Basement AC was working well. Now when it starts. It pull 54 AMPs and drops to 9 than jumps back up to maybe 30's 40's or 50's and back down to about 10. This is a shore power. So I ry today to run it on the Gen. Same thing. In fact it pulls the Gen to almost a stall with the high AMP raw.

Raining out right now so not about to try and get into AC compartment. Not even shure how to get it open.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Ok I know this has been covered. I have been seaching all morning for my answer.

Basement AC was working well. Now when it starts. It pull 54 AMPs and drops to 9 than jumps back up to maybe 30's 40's or 50's and back down to about 10. This is a shore power. So I ry today to run it on the Gen. Same thing. In fact it pulls the Gen to almost a stall with the high AMP raw.

Raining out right now so not about to try and get into AC compartment. Not even shure how to get it open.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 08-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Tom - on ours the blower starts first, then a compressor starts about a minute later. Is this your sequence? You could have a bad start capacitor or the compressor is trying to start with too high head pressure. I'd let a professional do the diagnosis.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

No blower does not come on first. This amp draw is from a fresh start after not being of for hours. So head pressure should have drained down. I plan to get a pro to check it out. But out on the road right now. Sometimes you can find something simple or have an idea as to what is going on from problems someone else has had.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 08-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Mine is doing a variation of that. Unit starts, outside blower starts, inside blower starts then it goes to a 50+ amp draw and the outside blower shuts down and drops to a 10 amp draw. I am waiting on the dealer to fix it under warranty. It may be low voltage damage from the brownouts that occured on the East Coast over the past two weeks. Not one place I stopped when I drove from Tampa to Ottawa and back had full voltage, all set off the low voltage protection on my
Surge Guard. It was either bypass or nothing on the whole trip.

Note that I also have a 2001 Adventurer 35U.

Regards,
Old 08-06-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Good Grief. Same here. I had to by pass mt EMS surge protector also. System would shut down at 103 volts. Sitting in my daughters drive way (in IL.)waiting for her to have a baby. They did put in a 30 AMP conn. for us. But with high temps & everyone running A/C in area.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 08-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

rvten
I would venture to say that one of the two compressors is siezed,it is drawing what is called in the trade "locked rotor amps".Go to a qualified service center to have it checked.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I went thru this last year on my #2 compressor. Turned out it was the start capacitor. When it tried to start the amps would go way up, voltage would go way down, then compressor internal cutout would trip.

When you get a chance, open the electrical cover plate on the unit, left side, & look at the big capacitors, and check for burnt connections.

If it isn't the caps, then compressor may be locked.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Got a service man coming out Tuesday. But plan to figure out how to open compartment and take a peak inside today.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 08-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
Got a service man coming out Tuesday. But plan to figure out how to open compartment and take a peak inside today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Finally got word from LazyDays that mine has been repaired but their service advisor was not able to advise me as to what had to be repaired to get the job done. I will have to wait until I pick it up tomorrow to find out. Now it is at the chassis shop having the shocks replaced and the suspension checked out.

They are not very good communicators over there. I hope their workmanship makes up for their lack of follow through on returning phone calls and emails.

Regards,
Old 08-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well service man came and went. I am now $100.0 poorer, service call. Number 1 compressor is shot. Service man set it up so only #2 compressor will run. This way we will have some A/C. Waiting on a call for cost of compressor replacement versus replacing whole unit. Our A/C heat pump is 6 years old. If I replace the #1 compressor who knows when if ever the #2 will die. Either way still sheaper than a new MH.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 08-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Got some word back on my AC problems.

Generator was cross wired with 30 amp line going to 20 breaker and 20 amp line going to 30 amp breaker, which was as I had expected. Generator had to be rewired and both breakers replaced.

Transfer switch was partially burned out by the above situation and high amp draw and had to be replaced.

High speed on outside fan motor was shorted out and fuse was blown. Blower motor had to be replaced.

Bottom line is that previous owner had problems that their service man was not able to resolve so they bypassed things and did some creative wiring to get things going so they could trade it in with everything running. Outside blower finally started to draw too high and shut the system down when transfer switch started to fail due to the overdraw on the 20 amp side.

Will get the rest of the story when I pick it up.

Regards,
Old 08-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Ed wins a six-pack of his favorite adult beverage for being closest with the diagnosis.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

rvten
If I were you check on the compressor manufactures warranty.The normal warranty in the trade is 5 years from when the system is put into operation.Labor is not included.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Old 08-09-2006, 08:36 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Still waiting on shop to come back with repair or replacement cost.
So I also contacted Coleman-Mach. Gave them the information on my present system.(6535A871)
They gave me the part # for the compressor and cost. New compressor is about $325.00 plus installation compared to replacement at $2500.0 to $3000.0. I guess two roof air A/C's are cheaper. But like the features of the basement A/C Heat Pump.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Guess we will have to wait until we get back to TN. to get A/C fixed. A/C Heating shop that found the problem does not call back about replacing compresser. I call them and they do not return my calls. So I guess they do not want to work on it.

Will get a Winnebago dealer in Knoxville or Nashville to fix when we get home.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

rvten
Why not call the manufacture , tell where you are and who would they suggest fixing your A/C.
Good Luck
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

I got the nearest service to me now from the dealer list (Coleman-Mack). I called to Winnebago dealers also. Going to cost me another $100.0 for them to diagnose what I already have found out. Boyj said they do not go by someone else's findings.

If I had two roof A/C's. I could replace one for the cost of the repairs to this baement unit.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 12-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

It has been a long long time that our AC. quit.
( # 1 Compresor died and was by passed so we could run on just # 2 compressor)Waited till we were going to be off the road for some time to get this fixed. I opted not to go to a Winnebago dealer as nearest was in Knoxville or Nashville. Got a local RV dealer here to do the work. May not have been a good idea. Will see. Suppose to get MH back this Friday.

Turns out this dealer has never worked on a basement HP/AC unit before. They took unit out and had a local heating dealer do the work. RV dealer was not set up to handle house type refrigerant. Because of cold snap here last week we got put on the back burner for repairs.
Heating service contacted me and wanted wiring dig. for unit. Good old computer and RVcomfort site got what was needed. So hope all goes well Friday and we get our MH back and HP/AC will work. Also hope this will not cost an arm and a leg.
2010 Ford Flex
Old 12-15-2006, 04:12 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

RVTN: Hope you will post back and let us know how your repair turned out. Also what the cost in $ was. A lot of us are going to start having this kind of problem after 5 yrs or more. Dealers are not the answer most of the time.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote