Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help with jacks!

Leaving for Florida and Jacks Down light came on and starting beeline. Have raised and lowered 3 times with no result. CW says need fluid bur my husband has looked everywhere and can't find the resevour. It's 2013 Itasca Meridian 34b. Any suggestions where to look?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2012 sightseer 30, so very different than your diesel, but we couldn't find ours either. Finally found reference to it in the supplemental manual Winnebago provides with the coach. Ours was accessible from inside the the outside storage compartment behind the drivers side front wheel. It required removing some screws and a panel. Not at all sure yours would be there.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Located this in the Meridian 2013 Manual. Locaated Beneath Entrance Step as listed Below. I just copied and pasted the pdf page. The is a picture but would not copy over. Here is the actual link to the manual and its located in Section 10. Hope this helps....

2013 Operator Manuals

NOTICE

• Do not try to drive vehicle unless “TRAVEL” light is glowing with ignition switch on.
• Do not try to drive the vehicle until the air suspension system has built up sufficient
pressure if you have used the coach leveling system or have used the DUMP button to manually
exhaust the air suspension system.
• Do not rely only upon the warning lights to indicate when jacks are up. It is the owner’s
responsibility to check that all jacks are up before moving the coach.

NOTE: If the Leveling Jacks should fail to retract, see “Troubleshooting” and emergency operation
instructions in the Leveling System Operation Guide provided in your InfoCase.

In The Event Of Accidental Jack Extension

1. Bring the vehicle to a safe and complete stop as soon as possible.
2. Turn the Leveling System Power switch ON, use the arrow “Down” button and select “Auto Retract”,
and press Enter.
3. Visually inspect the vehicle undercarriage for any problems.
4. See the Leveling System Operation Guide supplied in your InfoCase for troubleshooting
instructions or operating the Leveling System if jacks fail to retract or any other functions fail.

Further Information
See the manufacturer’s operation guide provided in your InfoCase for complete operating
instructions, safety precautions, and troubleshooting tips.
LEVEL
See the Leveling System Operation Guide provided in your InfoCase for complete maintenance
instructions and information.
All maintenance should be done as part of the normal servicing of the coach.
The hydraulic oil level should be checked when the vehicle is first purchased, and then twice a
year - or more often if an oil leak develops in the system.
The hydraulic pump is located beneath the entrance step. Lift step cover and remove storage bin (if
equipped) to access.

NOTE: To get an accurate indication of oil level, Leveling Jacks must be in the retracted (IN)
position.

Checking Hydraulic Oil Level
The hydraulic oil level is checked visually by inspecting the hydraulic oil reservoir. Always keep
the hydraulic oil level full (to the lip of the breather cap).

NOTE: Always clean away any dirt and debris from the top of the reservoir before removing the
breather cap to avoid entry of debris and contamination of hydraulic oil in the reservoir, which
could lead to pump failure or other problems.

Hydraulic Oil Reservoir (Located beneath entrance step)
-Typical View
merc669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If it is a power gear jack system then the advice you receiverd (Add fluid) is good, here is how to find the place to add.

You must find the hydraulic pump, to do this two ways, IF you have shore power plug in (Saves wear and tear on the engine) Turn the ignition switch to off, then accessory.

If you do not have shore power, turn ignition off then re-start

now, while someone OUTSIDE does the walk around operate the jacks (lower them) LISTEN for the sound of the pump, and follow the sound to the pump.

Gassers it is often up front, However it can be most anywhere.. Usually it will be accessable behind an door or panel that can be opened. (IE the "hood" on my gasser)

Unit is a black tank, the motor is one one end along with a solenoid, pipe out the top is capped. With jacks full up add fluid till it's just below the filler neck or remove the screw near the top of the tank and add till it drips, Re-cap and remove the cap, use a vibrating marking took to scribe a "FULL" line on the dip stick (Why they did not do that at the factory is beyond me) replace screw and cap (replace screw before you mark the dip stick).

You will likely have to do this every Jan or Feb.

Alternate method (Easier) add 1/2 cup at a time.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone. Hubby found the tank under the front entry steps and has filled with recommended fluid. He's worried we may have a leak as fluid is spilling out when he tries to replace the cap. Hoping that is not the case but still working on it. Fortunately we were not far from home when light came on. Keeping fingers crossed!!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

OK, have been running the "bus" and no warning lights or sounds!! If anyone wonders if this forum is helpful the answer is definitely yes! Finally found the info in one of the 4 manuals, but everyone was really great in helping. My husband has driven diesel fire engines, but this DP is quite different. Guess I better send him back to school. Thanks again everyone, Florida here we come!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2013 Journey 42 e, I know where the tank is and it s under the entry steps also. Is there a way to open the steps to access the tank or do you need to craw under the chassi?
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Dan,
Open the door and as you face the steps put your hand under the center of the step. You will feel a bolt and a nut. Use a 1/2 inch socket to take the nut off and raise the step. It is hinged at the back. You will see the top of the tank. If I remember correctly it is the first step.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
YC1
Winnebago Owner

If you fill the tank with the jacks down and then raise them you will overflow the tank. Been there did that, have the tee shirt.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

You Need to not only have jacks up but also have the slides in. Winnebago says fill fluid to the top. My husband did that and got overflow, but was able to clean up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-09-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Dennis.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

jack's repair

We have a new (4 months old) Itasca Meridian 34 B. It just came out of the shop in Fort Worth because the jacks were up, but the leveling lights to show the retraction process was complete were still blinking. Turns out a very small part was allowing hydraulic fluid to micro leak and full retraction was becoming slower and slower. Never saw leak or spotting. Freightliner knew of the problem and informed McClains repair. I hope this helps.
toothdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothdk View Post
We have a new (4 months old) Itasca Meridian 34 B. It just came out of the shop in Fort Worth because the jacks were up, but the leveling lights to show the retraction process was complete were still blinking. Turns out a very small part was allowing hydraulic fluid to micro leak and full retraction was becoming slower and slower. Never saw leak or spotting. Freightliner knew of the problem and informed McClains repair. I hope this helps.
Thanks for the information on your MH. When my DH put fluid in it took two quarts which he thought was a little much for a coach that was manufactured in May 2012 and delivered to us the end of Nov. 2012. It's going to CW for warranty work when we return from Florida so we will definitely get them to call Freightliner and check it out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
jacks