Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2018, 06:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help? What is steaming when driving??

Hi, I have a 94 Winnebago Vectra M31RQ Chevrolet 454

I am puzzled with what is happening when under heavy load conditions.

When driving up mountains, and really pressing on her, a whitish/or super light bluish steam like emission comes out from beneath the engine compartment, Passenger side.
Not out of the exhaust at all... This RV has had a transmission cooler added to it, and a Banks S/S Exhaust system.

I have drove behind her when this happens with my vents and windows open and I smell no oil, or petroleum smell to it.. mostly just a vapor smell...
Engine does not sputter or lose power during this occurrence.

I put a new radiator cap on it, but don't know what to check from here...

Ideas??
Rmoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Assuming it's water/antifreeze vapor, my guess (and it's just a guess) is you have a hose connection, or something similar, that leaks steam under high pressure. In normal driving conditions, the pressure is beneath the threshold so no leak.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do you notice any loss of coolant in the system? I'd suspect a hose as well.

You might post your question on the Workhorse Section on our sister site, iRV2... Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum - iRV2 Forums
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Is your engine temperature gauge working? Is it going way toward the hot side when under this very heavy load?

The radiator cap is supposed to be rated for something like 15 PSI. If the coolant is overheating it can increase the pressure over the 15 PSI. Or the cap could be old and no longer holding the proper pressure.

BTW, do you just let the transmission select the transmission gear, or do you manually select a lower gear when going up steep hills to keep the RPM's in the range of 3500 to 4500? If you don't keep your RPM's up on steep hills the engine and transmission will over heat.

Also if the radiator on a 24 year old rig has not been replaced or cleaned out, it could be clogged out and not doing a proper job of cooling.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote