Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Just tried to retract my slide after having it out to prep for a trip and it will not retract.

One side is engaging and moving, other side I can here the servo running but no movement.

I tried to also retract via the manual crank per the manual and same thing. Big screw turns, but no movement on slide.

Any thoughts on how to retract this so I can get it in for service?

This is on a Winnebago Access 31C 2007 just over a year old.
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Just tried to retract my slide after having it out to prep for a trip and it will not retract.

One side is engaging and moving, other side I can here the servo running but no movement.

I tried to also retract via the manual crank per the manual and same thing. Big screw turns, but no movement on slide.

Any thoughts on how to retract this so I can get it in for service?

This is on a Winnebago Access 31C 2007 just over a year old.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Squid, you might try to get 3 or 4 big guys to push on the end that is not retracting while the good end is retracting into the Rig. I am guessing you may have sheared a gear roll pin or slotted key that keeps the retracting gear from slipping on its shaft. I am assuming you do not have a hydralic set-up, but even if you do, the guys pushing it in should still work.

Good luck - Glenn
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It is a gear drive and I will be taking a closer look at it today.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ok,

Through some inguniuty I was able to manually retract the slide. I will post the details here as this may be helpful to others that have a similar issue. The slide is Servo / Screw drive manufactured by Kwikee

Here is what happened.

There is a long screw that sits inside the slide rails and is powered by a DC servo motor. On this slide sits a nylon bushing that has a flange at the end. Essentially when the screw is turned, the bushing flange catches on the end of the slide and either pushes or pulls the slide in or out.

On mine the flange on the bushing is gone. Hence turning the screw by power or manual did not move the slide.

First thing I had to do is put the motor systems into manual mode. This allowed the DW to run the screw while I was under the RV holding a screwdriver against the remnants of the bushing to run it back to the retracted end of the screw. This took a while but had to be done so the bushing would be out of the way when getting the slide back in.

Once this was done, I hooked a 5 ton come-a-long to the frame and the end of the slide. I would give a couple of cranks to pull in the slide and then manually operate the other side with the motor. Working it slowly until I got it fully retracted.

So now I am drivable and able to get it in for service. Surprising that the bushing that does all this is nylon and not brass or metal.

Also, couldn't have done this without a come-a-long. It will now be a permanent addition to the RV!

Hope I can get it in and serviced quickly.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Several rv's ago, I noticed an eye-bolt/ring attached to the floor of the slide-out under the dinette. Asked the dealer what it was, and he said there was a matching eye-bolt/ring under the couch (he was right) on the opposite side of the rv. He said it was in case the slide-out mechanism didn't work and I could attach a come-a-long to the eye-bolts/rings and crank 'er in manually.

I applaud the mfgr's forethought in including that feature, but didn't feel too good knowing they already had made provisions for something they probably 'expected' to fail.

Glad you got yours in, scares the daylites out of oncoming drivers to see someone looking out the slideout window directly at them!

Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Glad this broke at home. Not sure what we would have done if this happened on the road.

All said, I put at least 2-3 hours into figuring out what broke, and then how to retract it.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our new Winne came with a come-a-long. Never had to use it. Know that if we don't have it with us we will need it, so we carry it as insurance.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Zimectrin

If you have a 39QD its probably impossible to winch in the livingroom slide. I tried it and bent the winch bracket the slide has to lift up a few inches before it will crank the slide in there is nothing in the instructions that tells you this. Winnebago tech support was also of no help.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Squid;
I am not sold on Kwikee or Power Gear. Just give me the HWH system. I will not purchase a rig with out HWH.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Petro,

Cannot say I am sold on the Kwikee system. Since upon inspection I cannot see how a nylon bushing can or will hold up over time dealing with the slide.

This is our first RV so learning all the time.

squid
Old 09-13-2007, 05:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi everyone We have a 2007 Vista with Kwikee Slide and have already had problems. The Acturator ( I hope the spelling is right ) went out on the front, dealer replaced it but still had issues so they had to order new rollers. It's fixed, but this happened at a little less than 3000 miles so when is it going to break again?
V&VRVERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Squid,

I can imagine that the white 'nylon' bearing pads you are seeing is in reality 'delrin', a standard used by many industrial applications for bearings and other wear applications and has normally a long and useful life.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote