Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HELP Roof Maintenance 1994 Brave

So I need to re do the seam along the side of the roof and across the front and rear caps. I have the manus 75am and want advice on cleaning and prep for this job. Do I need to remove all the old sealant? Any and all the advice I can get would be a BIG HELP to me.
Thanks
Whitlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Recently re-did both side seams and front and rear cap seams. I would recommend removing all the old sealant and solvent clean the area, prior to applying the new sealant.

Bunch of work!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What type of roof do you have?

There are numerous videos on YouTube about redoing RV roofs. Lot's of products out there too but if you don't do the prep correctly, the results will not be the best.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Oldchinahand is right. Plus, I'd suggest finishing off with Eternabond tape. That's what I'm doing on my 2002. You'll find quite a few postings on Eternabond by searching Winnieowners.com, both pro and con. IMHO the pros outweigh the cons, especially on an older rig without full body paint.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
What type of roof do you have?

There are numerous videos on YouTube about redoing RV roofs. Lot's of products out there too but if you don't do the prep correctly, the results will not be the best.
I have a fiberglass roof
Old 08-19-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Recently re-did both side seams and front and rear cap seams. I would recommend removing all the old sealant and solvent clean the area, prior to applying the new sealant.

Bunch of work!

Do you have a fiberglass roof? Did you use the same type sealer on the sides and on the end caps? if so please advise me as to what you used please
Thanks
Old 08-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Whitlow. I have a fiberglass roof. I will describe what I did and why. Likely someone else will come in with a different method. I'm good with that. Makes for a good forum. "We report, you decide"

A couple of years ago, we stripped our fading decals and had a local guy paint them back on. Along with that, we had him refinish the rounded roof edges which are infamous for loosing the clearcoat. Shame on me, we drove off for our fall trip without noticing he silicone sealed the side roof edges. By the time we got back it had already failed. (yes, did speak to him, but that is another post)

Devoted many hours to scraping and digging out the silicone. Broken pieces of CDs seemed to work better than metal or plastic putty knives. There are products out there that claim to remove silicone sealant. Not my experience. I was happiest with mineral spirits and elbow grease. Followed that with a liberal wipe down with 91% rubbing alcohol.

Many opinions about proper sealant. I used self leveling DiCor. (sp?) Pushed the nozzle deep into the trough between the fiberglass sheath and the aluminum drip channel and applied liberally. The fiberglass will tend to spring back, squeezing up a satisfying bead. (takes a little practice). I let the bead dry overnight and the next day trimmed it with a razor knife.

I had read that Winnebago has been repairing roof radius hairline cracks by applying eternabond tape along the entire edge. Liked the idea. Did not seem to me to be a one man job. Stand by for controversy! So I covered that joint with black 2" Gorilla tape. It has been amazingly durable. I also use it on our entry door edge and cargo door lower edges to prevent stone chips, etc. Luckily, the black tape complements our coach color. Pics attached. Took the roof pic a few minutes ago. As you can see, after almost two years, the tape looks new. Applied the tape first, then covered the ends with dicor when I sealed the front and rear caps. The door edge pics are about a month or so old, but all the tape was applied at the same time

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_114549.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	170138

Name:	20180705_152501.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	170139

Name:	20180705_152418.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	170140

Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Use the sealants recommended by Winnebago, even if their "call-out" sheets don't go back to 1994.

And don't use Dicor, it is formulated for rubber roofs, not fiberglass. They've certainly done some great marketing in that so many people thing it's the sealant for every purpose. Even Dicor says it's for rubber roofs. Winnebago has reasons for using what they do.

Watch this video for more info:

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, maintenance, roof