Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2019, 05:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help! Only half my slideout will retract m

I have a 1999 Winnebago Chieftain WFL36L. After a camping trip this past weekend my main and only slide will only retract on one side. The slide is on the drivers side.

I packed up and retracted the slide and as it was coming in it hit the drivers captain chair. Someone must have moved the back of the chair out. So I stopped the retraction, moved the chair up and finished bringing the slide in and raised the leveling system. Locked down the slide and went outside to do the the final walk around. I noticed the bottom of the slide protruding out a little and pushed on it but it kind of swung a little. Being in a hurry I figured I’d deal with it when I got back to storage.

Got back to storage some 75 miles away and thought I would run the slide out and then back in. The slide went out but when I went to retract only the back end would move. I tried to extend and nothing. Retract and only the back moved in. Now I have the back of the slide mostly in and will not extend and the side up front will not move. Slide is cocked now. So there it sets.

I probably don’t have the skill set to fix it but would like some suggestions on how to deal with it temporarily until I can get someone to look at it. Also any opinions of what is going on will be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Ocarternc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

From what I read about your coach, the slide uses HWH hydraulic systems. (same as mine). It sounds like one of the hydraulic actuators has quit for what ever reason. (mine quit because of a broken line). The owners manual has a procedure for manually retracting the slide. It involves re-positioning a valve or two and then winching the slide in. No fun but it does work. I guess if the problem wasn't a hydraulic one but rather a mechanical failure of some sort, the manual procedure would not work either.
I'm very interested in what you come up with.
Stan

Tags
slide, slideout