Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Help, need a assistance on radiator bracket fit.

Gents,
This primarily is for the folks that have a coach that's setup closely to ours in terms of make, model, year and engine. We have a 2004 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT C-7 and the Allsion Trans MH3000. Many of you followed my radiator/inter cooler removal for repair and cleaning etc. Well, I took a zillion pictures of different angles, parts, fitment, nuts and bolts, hoses, clamps, clearances and more so, this demented, dilapidated, worn out, old brain of mine could have a reference to how things go back together and what goes where.

Well, I got about 95% of it ready to go back and I can't figure something out here. On the side frames of the radiator, there are two, brackets. Those brackets face the inter-cooler and the front side of the engine. They are used to support and mount the inter cooler. The fan shroud is interlocked in there too.

But, here's where I need help. The shroud has what appears to be "Notches" cut into it where those brackets MIGHT go. I tend to think they go into them. But, those bracket CAN go on the out side too. All I need is for someone to go out to their rig and either look, feel, both, to see how those bracket orient themselves to the shroud and inter cooler. For some air headed reason, and clearance, I did not get a picture of them. It's real tight where they're located. So, getting a camera in there would be almost impossible.

So, I'd appreciate any help here. I got just about every thing else figured out. The radiator is just sitting there, ready to bolt in and attach all the peripheral stuff but, I'm stumped on this fitment. Thanks. In the pics you'll see the brackets I'm talking about. They have a "forked" end and a hole next to the fork.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000871.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	32035   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000873.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	32036  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000875.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	32037   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000841.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	32038  

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Scott, Wish I could help. All I see from laying on the ground while looking up, is the outside of the plastic fan shroud with bolts going through to the brackets ( I'm assuming ) on the inside.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sammie,
I want to thank you for taking the time to try and help here. Those brackets, which are part of the side frame sections of the radiator, actually fit in small "relief" cuts, in the front section of the shroud, that mates to the radiator. Now, that doesn't mean they sit "inside" the shroud, as I was wondering about, it means they sit on the outside of it.

Just in case anyone's thinking of doing a radiator R&R on this type of Winne or Itasca, it's one pain in the a$$. There are (6) bolts/screws per side and, the only ones that are easy to get to are the two self drilling ones in the top of the shroud. Now that I know how it's done, it will make it easier (yeah sure) the next time which, I hope it's not for a long time.

Thanks again.
Scott
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

FIRE UP, have you looked at the Freightliner parts diagram? I do not have a ID and password anymore to Accessfreightliner.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
FIRE UP, have you looked at the Freightliner parts diagram? I do not have a ID and password anymore to Accessfreightliner.
grtharris,
No Sir, I haven't even heard of it. But, I went to the site and put in for an acceptance into that section. They said I'd know if they will accept me in about 3 weeks. Man, that's some time.
Scott
Old 01-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Scott, here are the Radiator Mounting and Fan Shroud diagrams from AccessFreightliner for my 2005 Vectra (rear-radiator, 350HP CAT C7) in case they are of any help:

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Chris,
I sure want to thank you for displaying that parts setup for the radiator. Most of it is very close to what I have. It really doesn't show what I needed though. I actually got it all together now and started the coach about 3:00 today. One tiny leak around the edge of lower radiator hose clamp. I fixed it, added another hose clamp along side the other one.

But, the fitment issues I had were sort of self explaining as the three, the radiator and the shroud and the inter cooler all started coming together. It's kind of a common sense thing as they get real close. Now that it's all done. I'd do it again. It was a pain in the a$$ but, I'd do it again if I had to. Thanks again for all of your assistance here.
Scott
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Scott... glad to see you got it back together in order to road trip to Quartzite. Our radiator is supposed to be about a year old along with new slobber tube. Will take a look at it once we take it out of storage. Wish I could have helped you sooner on this one... ours is almost your twin.... Mark
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator