Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Brave 34D on the Workhorse W20 chassis. One of the heating registers (the one behind the passenger seat along the wall) sits above a heat exchanger that apparently extracts heat from the engine. However, the register isn't ducted so insects sometimes make their way into the water heater compartment and into the coach itself.

During cold weather, I've used the optional engine-based heating system. But in this case, the heat comes out of all the floor registers. Does anyone know why this particular register is not connected to any heating duct? It seems like an odd arrangement. Thanks in advance.

Jack
Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Brave 34D on the Workhorse W20 chassis. One of the heating registers (the one behind the passenger seat along the wall) sits above a heat exchanger that apparently extracts heat from the engine. However, the register isn't ducted so insects sometimes make their way into the water heater compartment and into the coach itself.

During cold weather, I've used the optional engine-based heating system. But in this case, the heat comes out of all the floor registers. Does anyone know why this particular register is not connected to any heating duct? It seems like an odd arrangement. Thanks in advance.

Jack
Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #3

It's your return air for your engine motoraid heating.

I put a magnetic cover on it during the Summer.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the insight and suggestion. I'll do the same.

Jack
Old 05-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Don't forget to take it off for the winter. Ya gotta love that motor-aid heater. We do.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

When we purchased the motorhome in 2004, the vent was taped over and covered with a wall-mounted side-table. We took out the table as part of a remodeling project and discovered the register. The tape puzzled us but we simply removed it.

However, while in Florida this winter, we had a leak in our water heater so I left the door open to the compartment to help it dry out. That's when we first noticed the biting midges in the RV. We couldn't figure out how they were getting in. Some pople said thst they were comming in through the screens but I had my doubts. In any case, I was outside one evening when I noticed a light above the water heater. It was the light comming through the register. It was also the source of all the midges. Once I closed the compartment, things improved considerably. However, I plan on taking FrontRangerRVer's advice. I'll fabricate a cover and use some magnets to keep it in place. As you say, I'll have to rememner to take it off this fall. We're full-time RVers so we live in the rig year round. Thanks again for your help. It would be a lonely world out there without this forum.

Jack
Old 05-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #7

I bought some magnetic vent covers at Walmart and cut one to the shape of the vent....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

This vent also is part of the air circulating system that keeps your water heater compartment heated for cold weather travel.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote