Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Heater question

Tried our first winter trip in our new to us 2004 Suncruiser 33v. Temps were down to the mid 20"s.

My understanding was that if the heat pump couldn't keep up, the propane furnace kicked in. Since electric was provided, I put the thermostat on electric since i wanted to use the provided electric as long as possible. The result was that we froze our a** off.

Everything worked well during the evening. When the heat pump could no longer keep up, the furnace kicked in. When morning came, it was down to about 55 even though the temp was set at 65.

My question is- Is there another algorithm where the heating goes to some sort of default where it just prevents freezing when the heat pump freezes up??
cpd520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Cat
Winnebago Camper

On Coleman systems once the temperature drops and the heat pump cannot keep up it switches to the propane heater after the temperature inside drops 5 degrees below what you have set your thermostat to. If the heat pumps cannot keep up 3 times in 2 hours it locks the heat pump out and your only heat is your propane. It will resett after a couple hours. But it should not lock out your propane heat. I would go to the airxcel /Coleman if that's what you website and check and see how your system is set up.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do you have Coleman or Dometic?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Do you have Coleman or Dometic?
Coleman
Old 12-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You were 10 degrees below set point,,, If it is windy, and you are not well sealed, that can happen, it also matters WHERE you measure the temp.. Often the T-Stat is on an inside wall.. you need to read the temp either ON the T-state display or next to it to check HEVAC operation, a Thermometer on an outside wall can read lower or higher depending on other external things.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I did read the temp at the thermostat. The issue was the 10 degree spread and that neither the furnace or the heat pump were cycling.

Trying to learn if that is normal operation or if I have a problem.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Yes, there is a separate default which occurs when the unit is shut down due to outdoor coil temperatures.
Outside icing is normal during operation in colder temps/higher humidity. The outdoor coil thermister measures coil temp, and should shut off basement unit before too much ice accumulates. If this happens, the tstat goes into a default mode, and the gas furnace will operate between 45 and 60 deg. Gas heat should be selected at this point.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have Colemen A/C (with heat pump), but my thermostat does NOT have the auto switch over. I have to manually set the thermostat to kick on either LP or heat pump (HP). So.. I would think that the OP's issue may be at the thermostat itself. Some automatically switch between HP and LP, others don't. In fact, I have a buddy who's coach will automatically switch between air conditioning and heat too (sometimes causing the two to "fight" with one another to achieve the desired temp). So I would recommend reading the manual for your thermostat too, not just for the Coleman HP.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Yes, there is a separate default which occurs when the unit is shut down due to outdoor coil temperatures.
Outside icing is normal during operation in colder temps/higher humidity. The outdoor coil thermister measures coil temp, and should shut off basement unit before too much ice accumulates. If this happens, the tstat goes into a default mode, and the gas furnace will operate between 45 and 60 deg. Gas heat should be selected at this point.
Thanks DancinCampers. That fits with what actually happened. Glad I don't have a problem. Next time it is going to drop to freezing or below I will change over to furnace before climbing in bed.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Tags
heater