Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Heater and Heat Pump are both too noisy...

I have a 2006 Itasca Meridian 36G. This past weekend, we went to the high country with some other RV'rs. When we set the Heat Pump to come on in the middle of the night at 52 degrees, the noise from it being located directly below our bed woke us every time it came on. I finally got up and switched the thermostat to gas heat, but that too was noisy as heck. It also is located directly below the bedroom on the outside wall. I think that this is a definite design flaw from Winnebago. I have never owned a coach where the heater kept me awake when it turned on. I am planning on purchasing an electric stand-alone heater with a thermostat that I will keep plugged in whenever I camp in chilly weather. My problem will be, what do I do when I am dry-camping...? Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe View Post
. My problem will be, what do I do when I am dry-camping...? Anyone have any suggestions?
Ear plugs?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That's what we do. I did a search for quiet space heaters and bought a 1500 watt Holmes. We use it in the living area on cool evenings and aim it towards the bedroom with the thermostat set at about 60-65 degrees at bedtime. We both like it set at "meat locker" at night. We didn't use the heat pump or furnace all last winter in Florida. Ours is noisy too and I also don't want to wear it out.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Down comforter.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

For dry campoing some people use catalytic heaters but there are safety concern about using those.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

How noisy are we talking? There could be a problem with either system if it is that loud. My 2001 furnace is under the bedroom floor and is tolerable, moderately noticeable but not like a midnight freight train passing by.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
How noisy are we talking? There could be a problem with either system if it is that loud. My 2001 furnace is under the bedroom floor and is tolerable, moderately noticeable but not like a midnight freight train passing by.
Like I said Neil, I have never owned a coach that had this noisy of a gas furnace, and I've owned six motorhomes. It's not like it's rattling or making broken noises, it's just loud. Kind of like the sound of a vacuum running while you're trying to sleep.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

It sounds like there may indeed be a problem. From what you say about the sound it's probably air noise or "fan tip" noise. It would be a good idea to double check the air filter (distorted installation or if it's too dirty it make it noisy) and you may want check or have someone check the blower. If it's out of balance or had any debris caught up in it that could make it noisy as well.
To get the volume of air needed from a basement system it takes high pressure and high velocity which make most of these systems kind of noisy to begin with; couple that with some minor blockages and you can end with a unreasonable amount of noise.

Please let us know what you find.
Good Luck & Safe Travels
Old 09-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

While your's is obviously newer than mine, the 36G floorplan has the return duct for the LP furnace near the bed. That creates some noise when the LP furnace runs, for sure. We can also hear the heat pump compressors start up when they run but we've just gotten used to it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Heater and Heat Pump are both too noisy...

I "second" the use of the Holmes 1500 watt stand-alone auxiliary heater. It is the quietest heater I have owned and is very effective. When on "shore power," we have no need for the gas or electric furnace at night.

Daniel C. Ellis
2005 Winnebago Journey 39F
Portland, Oregon
dcellisesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I have a winnebago Voyage (2007) and have the same issue. I too use the Holmes heater and when dry camping I use a catalytic heater connected to a portable tank
rvrover2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

That makes 3 of us. My 37H has the air return for the heat pump right next to the bed, with the blower unit right below it. My gas heat is actually quite quiet., since its return register is in the kitchen.

I have found that settimg the HP fan at the thermostat to "RUN" rather than "AUTO" makes a difference, because the fan doesn't cycle - only the compressors do. It's the switching on and off of the fan that bothers me more.

We also use the Holmes convection heater (no fan) in the living room, set to about 70 degrees. We set the heat pump to 58 degrees, so that it will come on if the bedroom gets much lower than about 55.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I'm just wondering...does the return air for the gas heater have to be indoors?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

yes, the gas furnace return must be in the living space. I agree with Bluepill... when operating the heat pump (cooling or heating) while in bed, try leaving the fan in the "run" position and just let the compressor cycle on demand. Even though it remains VERY noisy, it's more tolerable because it doesn't alternate between silence and loud noise.

Yes, I agree that it's a poor design to have the heat pump under the bedroom.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

For dry camping we use a down comforter, sometimes a blanket on top of that, and an electric mattress pad that is run by a small, quiet, inverter which is plugged into a 12v outlet in the bedroom.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
yes, the gas furnace return must be in the living space. I agree with Bluepill... when operating the heat pump (cooling or heating) while in bed, try leaving the fan in the "run" position and just let the compressor cycle on demand. Even though it remains VERY noisy, it's more tolerable because it doesn't alternate between silence and loud noise.

Yes, I agree that it's a poor design to have the heat pump under the bedroom.

cheers,
Joopy
I do that with our heat pumps (roof mounted and ducted), set them for high fan and let them run when on shore power although I really use a 1500 watt heater more often.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Both are noisy, but you'll get used to it and it wont bother you.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Both are noisy, but you'll get used to it and it wont bother you.
You don't know my wife....she would take on a grizzly bear if it interrupted her sleep!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Well, that might be a handy feature when boondocking

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
That makes 3 of us. My 37H has the air return for the heat pump right next to the bed, with the blower unit right below it. My gas heat is actually quite quiet., since its return register is in the kitchen.

I have found that settimg the HP fan at the thermostat to "RUN" rather than "AUTO" makes a difference, because the fan doesn't cycle - only the compressors do. It's the switching on and off of the fan that bothers me more.

We also use the Holmes convection heater (no fan) in the living room, set to about 70 degrees. We set the heat pump to 58 degrees, so that it will come on if the bedroom gets much lower than about 55.
Our 2008 blower will not run steady with the heat pump on, only with the AC. I called Coleman and was told it's suppose to be that way. I'm going to have to check a set of prints for your coach and see what is wired different.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater