Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I was in Tenn. this weekend and had to use the heater in my 04 Advn. Last night after running for awhile it started to make a noise. I went outside and the back panel of the MH was vibrateing making the noise. I think I may have gotten dirt in it in Ak. last summer. Maybe something in the squerrial cage. Anyone have any ideas. Also how to get to the heater itself to look. An help would be appreciated.

Charles
Old 05-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I was in Tenn. this weekend and had to use the heater in my 04 Advn. Last night after running for awhile it started to make a noise. I went outside and the back panel of the MH was vibrateing making the noise. I think I may have gotten dirt in it in Ak. last summer. Maybe something in the squerrial cage. Anyone have any ideas. Also how to get to the heater itself to look. An help would be appreciated.

Charles
Old 05-17-2005, 02:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Charles, I assume the furnace had worked OK and has been relatively quiet in the past, until now, right? -Likely you've got some mud dauber wasp nest in the squirrel cage fan, or near it. To slide the furnace out, it's a job, but not overwhelming. Turn off the propane at your tank. Remove the four cover screws to expose the furnace. From there, depending on your model, the furnace frame will either be secured by small sheet metal screws, or in some cases, bolts/nuts. Getting the furnace out, disassembling & cleaning, then re-installing will take a good half-day.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

troth, many thanks. I had tried to remove the rear plate when I came back from Ak. last summer and clean it out but couldn't get the cover off. I assume you will need to remove the exhaust? I'm sure it got dust in it in Ak.. I'll try again.

Charles
Old 05-23-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Has anyone ever had "fried mouse" served in their furnace lately?

Well we had one this weekend, we were watching the news cast 11pm heared this loud thump, squeel, an vibration of furnace fan.
So I gets my old body on the floor pull back plate off an with a coat hanger proceed to start removing one tail, legs, fur an miscellaneous parts of a once mouse.

The only thing missing was the head.

I believe that is rolling around in the fan housing fused in blood to it causeing the vibration in the furnace.
When it stops raining I will take off plate outside to see if the head can join the other parts of once mouse. ---"007"

"YES, I have set four old style mouse traps for future mouse non- fries".
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 08:38 PM   #6

....turn off propane and kill the juice to the furnace and use a pressure washer on the exhaust and intake sides then compressed air.....turn on gas and electric when dry.......geofkaye
Old 05-24-2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Charles, if you were able to find most of the mouse inside the coach then the missing part will be on the inside section of the furnace. If you can give a model I can help better.
You will need to put the furnace. If there is a plate on outside wall you can pull it from outside. IF not you will have to pull it from inside. You will probably have to remove a screw or more from the outside vent are for pulling to the inside. Be sure to turn off the gas and pull fuse to the furnace before starting. Be sure to check for gas leaks when you are finished before starting furnace.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:45 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Char N4FAP:
troth, many thanks. I had tried to remove the rear plate when I came back from Ak. last summer and clean it out but couldn't get the cover off. I assume you will need to remove the exhaust? I'm sure it got dust in it in Ak.. I'll try again.

Charles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the stainless exhaust flange needs to come off first on the 33V. Once that's off there is an insert tube that slides out as well. Then the cover can be removed. Be sure to caulk it up good when you replace it.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Has anyone ever had "fried mouse" served in their furnace lately?

Well we had one this weekend, we were watching the news cast 11pm heared this loud thump, squeel, an vibration of furnace fan.
So I gets my old body on the floor pull back plate off an with a coat hanger proceed to start removing one tail, legs, fur an miscellaneous parts of a once mouse.

The only thing missing was the head.

I believe that is rolling around in the fan housing fused in blood to it causeing the vibration in the furnace.
When it stops raining I will take off plate outside to see if the head can join the other parts of once mouse. ---"007"

"YES, I have set four old style mouse traps for future mouse non- fries". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had some time at a Good Sam rally this weekend to check out my furnace an see what all the noise is while its running just as I thought a missing mouse head. It was stuck between the blower fan an cut out for air intake. It was in pretty good shape considering it had no body parts, they were dispersed last Sat. night on to the heater coils. Just a reminder if your breads or cakes in your bread draw have what you think is air pockets in them, they may have been caused by a once mouse. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 02:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Where would place the mouse traps - scattered around the chassis?

-John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:02 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

John, as for 'prevention', other threads have said a dryer sheet, like Bounce, placed in the cabinet will keep out critters & bugs. Still others use mothballs inside an old prescription bottle w/ a few small holes drilled in. Personally, I use both.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:33 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Congrats on the new MH John.

In your case, the mice etc haven't left a urine trail leading into your motorhome so they don't have a map. It would be best for you to put baited traps in your shed and near but not in your motorhome as the bait also attracts the critters.

Retail stores have adequate pest control devices but for me this thing is all out war and I get my poison cubes from a licensed pest control guy. They have little houses that you put the poison in that keeps the pets out. Plastic containers with a 1" hole cut in them works too for a lot less money.
If a squirel comes along and can't get in the 1" hole, not to worry, they just rip the lid off and dine. There usually is a licensed pest control person in most locations. Try to find a smaller operator who has a vested interest in your satisfaction. I found the big name guys really don't give a hoot what happens.

Tractor Supply, Fleet Farm type stores sometimes have the better pest control products but nothing like the licensed pest control people.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:04 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Well, again I am learning from this forum! I know we use the bounce-type sheets to keep wasps from entering the fresh air vent at our house, but had not thought about using them on the RV! Thanks, Troth!

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote