Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone tell me if the Itasca Suncruiser 2005 38J (Winnegago Adventurer?) has a heated basement that protects the water and sanitary tanks?

How cold can you go? This is my first experience with MH in SE mass. I know some sites, especially on the cape have full hookups (partial water) all winter.

I'm trying to figure out whether to winterize and store like I did with the travel trailer or can I enjoy a few weekends?

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone tell me if the Itasca Suncruiser 2005 38J (Winnegago Adventurer?) has a heated basement that protects the water and sanitary tanks?

How cold can you go? This is my first experience with MH in SE mass. I know some sites, especially on the cape have full hookups (partial water) all winter.

I'm trying to figure out whether to winterize and store like I did with the travel trailer or can I enjoy a few weekends?

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
Old 10-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 99 suncruiser, and the water tank is always the one that freezes. It hangs down between the frame rails.

I always put a little box heater in the basement, and the compartment with the sewage hoses are.

We have always been good down to 15 for a night or two. Depends how warm it gets during the day. The third night is tough on the fresh water tank.

Also I try to add as much fresh water as I can. The more water the longer it takes to cool down because of the large volumn.

When mine freezes, I just keep running water into the tank until it thaws out.

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My 2003 Chieftain has fared well in temps down to +22. I installed an indoor/outdoor thermometer with the remote located in the water comp by the water pump. I turn the furnace thermostat to 72 and find that enough heat enters the water compartments to keep from freezing. My previous 97 Adventure worked equally as well. I can't tell you how cold you can go because I have never tested it any lower than 22.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Where on the Cape can you find a winter hook-up? I live here on the Cape and will be moving into our Suncruiser Nov. 1 and I need to stay a couple of more weeks to finish some work. I have called everybody I can find on the web and phone book but they all shut down the last of October. Thanks for any insight...
flatheader36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We have stayed in our 1999 Brave to -10. We drain the water tank, blow out the water system with air and then pump RV antifreeze into the water pump. We drain the water heater and turn the by-pass on before we blow it out. While traveling thru cold weather we use gallon bottles of water and use the toilet discriminately and use RV antifreeze to flush by just pouring in bowl. Ours functions fine down to about +15, but the waste tank dump valves tend to freeze about that temperature. At -10 we don't have problem with living temp and can maintain about 70 degrees with the furnace, but must run the generator to keep the furnace fan running. While the generator is running we use a 1500 watt electric oil filled long heater. We usually have to spend two nights at below zero to about 10 above on our way south when we leave in January.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:50 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We leave Wisconsin in January and head south ... we follow a procedure similiar to John but we use <span class="ev_code_PURPLE"> PURPLE </span> windshield wiper fluid to flush with

We have stayed in our rig to snow ski ... overnight temps in the teens ... we use a trouble light next to the water pump and next to the dump valves ... we dump during the afternoon while temps are near freezing and stow the hose
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

flatheader 36

Atlantic Oaks on rte 6 wellfleet has full hookups with cable and keeps all the utilities going all winter, with water intermitent once a day depending on temp.

Not a bad spot can be a little tight in places. about 3/4 seasonal rigs. I think it was $40 a night in Sept. The also have a campground in Brewster.

Good luck. The cape is great this time of year.

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have a 38J, if you want to call it heated, the basement. It only has air ducts/vents where the heat settles to the basement meaning that you will be paying high in electric bills or in propane. The only insulation is the compartment doors. I added insulation too all air vents and living in Northern California, it does get cold but my tanks did not freeze. The only way I would believe anyone who advertises heated basement is to look for direct heater vents going into the compartments, you will not find this on any Winnebago. The only way you will see this if the slideouts do not include the compartments. Storemore is actually store less but I don't carry that much and I live in it full time. You lose all that extra insulation when the whole slideout includes the compartments.
TXDrifter165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Leon,
I have a 04 Adventurer and I know the tanks are in heated compartments. The way you check is to turn on your propane heater and not heat pump and go to the water compartments and you will feel heat or warmth. Very important here to know that heat pump does NOT keep compartments warm. The regular furnace which is operated by propane keeps them warm as does the engine heater which also makes heat come out of floor ducts.
I had heated compartments in my 96 Minnie Winnie and was able to use the water down to -10 when the water pump froze up but with a little help from a ceramic heater it thawed out and we were good again.
I agree with the idea of remote temp sensors in both compartments with a readout on the dash. That way you can tell what temp is in compartments. I also carry 2 ceramic cube heaters and have installed ac receptacles in the compartments with water tank so that if it ever gets too cold I can plug in a cube to warm it up as cube has built in thermostat.
A few of the Rvers I know use 60 watt light bulbs in these compartments also to warm it up enough to keep things running.
One final point in severe cold weather do not use a heater in Rv that would be set high enough to satisfy regular themostat as then there would be no heat from on board furnace.
Enjoy winter as it is a lot of fun and very pretty when the snow flies.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #11

Up here, we are good down to about 10F if we use METAL trouble lights with 100 watt bulbs in the water pump compartment and the sewer tank compartment. If we are expecting any lower temps, I will put small fan forced 750 watt electric heaters in the above meantioned compartments, and that will get me to about -10 F.

All above is also supplemented with our furnace, as our compartments are SUPPOSEDLY heated by this although I cant tell even though I have remote temperature sensors in both places.

Our next motorhome will have a MUCH better Winter/insulation package as this unit is not very well insulated for where we live. Maybe Winnebago would read this and offer as an option, a true Winter insulation package.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I agree with FRONTRANGERVer a better option should be offered by Winnebago for winter use. Be it blown in Urethane or whatever. What they call heated now, is at best marginal to non-existent. A Pace Arrow I had used heat pads under water, black and Grey water tanks, these actually worked.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXDrifter165:
I have a 38J, if you want to call it heated, the basement. It only has air ducts/vents where the heat settles to the basement meaning that you will be paying high in electric bills or in propane. The only insulation is the compartment doors. I added insulation too all air vents and living in Northern California, it does get cold but my tanks did not freeze. The only way I would believe anyone who advertises heated basement is to look for direct heater vents going into the compartments, you will not find this on any Winnebago. The only way you will see this if the slideouts do not include the compartments. Storemore is actually store less but I don't carry that much and I live in it full time. You lose all that extra insulation when the whole slideout includes the compartments. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 96 had a couple of flex hoses from the furnace to the basement.

My 2004 has holes cut in the floor ducts that allow air to heat the service bay and the tank areas.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeonB:

I'm trying to figure out whether to winterize and store like I did with the travel trailer or can I enjoy a few weekends? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winnebago customer service told me that their Class A's should be good down to about 20 degrees if the furnace is set to 70 degrees.

I have spent a number of nights with temps going down to 19 degrees or so and with the furnace set at 60 degrees and had no problem.

For colder temps I added a GFI outlet in the service bay and use a small electric heater that comes on at 45 degrees and maintains that temp.

With that setup I have spent nights with overnight lows of 2 degrees with the furnace set at 60 degrees with no problem.

(Note that was in Dec in Beaver UT on my way to AZ where the furnace isn't needed.)
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have had my Winnebago in 15 degree weather. Not ONE time have I had any freeze up in the basement! Hoses outside, yes. But an average Rv is not designed to winter camp. Too much condensation! The motor home also has that single pane windshield. Hanging a quilt across the front helps. Keeping slide outs in helps. The drain hose compartment should have some insulation added to keep things from freezing . Maybe the light bulb thing. Also if you have an ice maker, the line needs some insulation on it. I headed south after Christmas in 2002. I had a 2001 Adventure which I turned up the heat (45) for a few days. I was lucky enough to have temperature get in the 20's so I could get some water in my tank without the hose breaking up. I put a thermometer in the water heater compartment & in the drain hose compartment. With the outside temperature getting down to the low around 15 or lower, the drain hose compartment got to 32 with the inside temp at 45. The water heater compartment was at 40.
As far as Winnebago building a cold weather rig, they don't even recommend theirs for full timing!